PDA

View Full Version : I can't get this form out of my head!

Jack Mincey
03-27-2011, 5:38 PM
I've roughed out around thirty bowls and HF's over the last month. Evey time I get a tallish end grain blank this form keeps coming out in the end. I plan on returning them when dry and might even cut the top at a slight angle on a few. I hope this shape sells, but if they don't I guess they will make some nice presents. These are all turned from silver maple but for the one on the right back side which is turned from walnut. They range from 5" tall the smallest to 13" tall for the tallest. The vase on the left side had a real nice bark inclusion that went down the center of the top on both sides. I wrapped string around the neck and applied a lot of thin CA to stabilize it so it hopefully dries without much of a problem.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00220.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00221.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/DSC00222.jpg

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 5:52 PM
Jack, when it works - don't fight it!! You have some really nice roughouts there, and the wood is beautiful! Go with it!

Jim Burr
03-27-2011, 6:01 PM
That's a really cool form...flower pots!! Beautiful wood too!

David DeCristoforo
03-27-2011, 6:22 PM
Those look great, Jack. I especially like the ones with the bead at the rim. I know what you mean about getting a shape stuck in your head. Just like when it happens with a song. I guess (hope) it changes eventually.

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2011, 6:45 PM
Nice forms and some really good looking wood!

If you find yourself piling up your mashed potatoes and shaping it into this form.... well, good luck with that! I do like the forms and look forward to seeing them finished!

David Reed
03-27-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm liking that shape myself and the spalt is exceptional. Agreeing with Steve re the mashed potatoes (thinking close encounters...............of the spalted kind?

David E Keller
03-27-2011, 10:43 PM
I like the shape, and it doesn't look like there's an ugly piece of wood in the whole bunch. The slanted rim idea is appealing as well. Are they dry yet?

Dan Forman
03-28-2011, 3:48 AM
Very nice wood, and an organic shape, hope they do well for you.

Dan

Mark Hubl
03-28-2011, 3:51 PM
Wow, not a bad shape to have stuck in your head. Does not look like a bad one in the bunch. Quite a nice collection, those should finish up beautifully.

charlie knighton
03-28-2011, 5:11 PM
very nice....

Jack Mincey
03-28-2011, 6:04 PM
Thanks everyone, I've thought about trying this shape for a while and when I did it kind of took over. I'm looking forward to tweaking the top of a few of them after they dry to see what I can do with them. The wood is some of the monster silver maple I got dropped off at my school last year by a local tree trimmer. My students have been using the same wood for a year now and we should be using it until next winter. My mother is thinking about having a large silver maple taking down in her yard that has just got to big to be close to her house, it is also making mole humps across her new pavement. It looks to be curly from looking at the bark so I should have enough of this wonderful wood to take me into my first year of retirement coming up in just over a year.
Thanks Again,
Jack