PDA

View Full Version : Moving to NC

Maurice Ungaro
03-27-2011, 5:30 PM
Well, it's official - we're moving to Morrisville, NC. Due west of Raleigh. There is a Woodcraft close by, and then there's Klingspor's on the north side of town. Seems to be a pretty good woodworking club that meets there too. Now, we just got to: a) sell/lease our house, and b) find a place where I can still have my shop.

Kent A Bathurst
03-27-2011, 6:26 PM
Congrats to the missus on finding [a] a husband that supports her and [b] something she want to do.

Raleigh's gain is Atlanta's loss.

Good luck up north.

Dan Bowman
03-27-2011, 7:37 PM
I'm sure you'll find the NC woodworking community warm and friendly. Be sure to check us out - search for NCwoodworker.

Bruce Wrenn
03-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Welcome to someone not coming from New Jersey. You will find both NC Woodworker (on the web) and Triangle Woodworkers Association to be more than friendly. Search Triangle Woodworker's site and on the left side click on "newsletter" and you will get an idea of what we are about. We normally meet on third Tuesday night of the month, 7:00 PM at Klingspor's on Capital Blvd. In April, because we are having an "out of town speaker" (John White, former manager of Fine Woodworking's shop), we will meet on Friday, April 15th, same time and location. There is a short cut to Triangle area from your way. When you get to NC state line on I-95, get off and take US 301 to Roland NC, turn left on US 501 towards Laurenburg. About a mile out of Laurenburg, you will come to a fork in the road, take left side. About a quarter mile, there will be a "round about", go straight across. After crossing over US 74, at next at traffic light (this may be a stop sign), turn right, and continue across town taking US 15 / 501 to Aberdeen, At Aberdeen, turn right onto US 1 north. The Cary / Apex / Holly Springs area is FIFTY miles closer this way, than the I-95 / I - 40 route. Bruce Wrenn

Kent A Bathurst
03-28-2011, 7:19 AM
Welcome to someone not coming from New Jersey.

:D :D :D

Quota's full, eh?

Maurice Ungaro
03-28-2011, 7:42 AM
Kent, sorry we couldn't swap shops and houses.
Dan, looks like a great area for woodworkers.
Bruce, thanks for the invite and the short cut! On April 15th, i'll probably be packing things up here, so i'll have to miss that lecture.

Jim Tobias
03-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Maurice,
Welcome to NC. You will enjoy living here. I notice you live in Beaufort, SC. My wife, kids and I lived there for 8 years before moving to Lewisville, NC (on the west side of Winston-Salem, NC). That was 25 years ago and we have never regretted it. Beaufort is beautiful, but the summers were really hot/humid.
If you ever head toward the western end of NC, pm and drop by.

Jim

Scott T Smith
03-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Maurice, welcome to the Triangle Area of NC, I think that you'll find it to be a great place for woodworkers.

Ditto Bruce and Dan's comments re NCWoodworker; it's a great community (similar to SMC) and has a very active membership in the triangle area. The members really go out of their way to help one another, so if you need help unloading equipment and setting up shop all you need to do is post a notice and you'll probably have at least 5 - 10 volunteers show up to help.

In addition to Woodcraft and Klingspor, it's only about a 45 minute drive to Woodworkers Supply in Graham, and the Hardwood Store of NC is ten minutes further down the road. Steve Wall's fantastic Wall Lumber is about an hour and a half's drive up in Mayodan, and Rick DeNardo's Woodworkers Source is about 2 hours away to the west.

Roy Underhill's "Woodwright's Shop" is only 30 minutes away from Morrisville in Pittsboro.

We have a lot of active millers in and around Raleigh too, so there is a good supply of native hardwoods available - both air dried as well as kiln dried. Feel free to give me a call if you need any quartersawn oak; I'm about 30 minutes from Morrisville.

One nice thing about this area is that you can find some acreage and farmland within an easy commute of Morrisville (if you want something other than a subdivision). This can be more conducive for building a nice, large woodshop! There are a lot of great places just west of Morrisville in Chatham County to consider.

Welcome to NC.

Scott

Maurice Ungaro
03-28-2011, 2:26 PM
Scott,
Thanks for all the good info! I've been starved for good wood supply down here, so it will be a treat. Also, I was real happy to find that Pittsboro is just down the road - already looked at some classes I want to take at Roy's.

Dave Mura
03-28-2011, 4:00 PM
Definitely check out NCwoodworker http://couponfit.com/img/beda24c1e1b46055dff2c39c98fd6fc1.gifhttp://couponfit.com/img/7d62a275027741d98073d42b8f735c68.gifhttp://couponfit.com/img/11d867796d85db8cad5280ac44cec7c1.gifhttp://couponfit.com/img/a57d48399922b03419153a9760c5ce53.gifhttp://couponfit.com/img/b90ba83119860d7f6a6dfaab9f2aa150.gif

Steve Kohn
03-28-2011, 5:12 PM
Maurice,
Welcome to NC. You will enjoy living here. I notice you live in Beaufort, SC. My wife, kids and I lived there for 8 years before moving to Lewisville, NC (on the west side of Winston-Salem, NC). That was 25 years ago and we have never regretted it. Beaufort is beautiful, but the summers were really hot/humid.
If you ever head toward the western end of NC, pm and drop by.

Jim

Dang, you almost make me want to move there!

Bruce Wrenn
03-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Dang, you almost make me want to move there!There are two kinds of people. North Carolinians, and those that want to be.

Stephen Cherry
03-29-2011, 12:16 AM
There are two kinds of people. North Carolinians, and those that want to be.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do like their BBQ. It's a low fat option as compared to the veggies!

Joe Cowan
03-29-2011, 9:46 AM
Welcome from Wilmington!

Mike Wilkins
03-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Welcome from the east end of the state. As others have stated, there are lots of wood butchers and sawdust makers around, so you will not be lonely.

Maurice Ungaro
03-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Welcome from the east end of the state. As others have stated, there are lots of wood butchers and sawdust makers around, so you will not be lonely.

Great! Nice to know I won't be alone!

Neil Brooks
03-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Congratulations, and best of luck on your move.

You're leaving a beautiful place FOR another beautiful place -- one that's lively, vibrant, and chock full of friendly people.

Only a visitor, but ... I've visited a few times.

All the best !

Jason Coen
03-30-2011, 11:28 AM
:D :D :D

Quota's full, eh?

I'm the only native NC'er in my neighborhood. About half are from NY/NJ. :eek:

Scott T Smith
03-30-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm the only native NC'er in my neighborhood. About half are from NY/NJ. :eek:

That's why your town name (Cary) stands for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees"...

Maurice Ungaro
03-31-2011, 8:26 AM
That's why your town name (Cary) stands for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees"...

Well, at least we're bringing two southerners to the mix!

Jason Coen
03-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Well, at least we're bringing two southerners to the mix!

That might just double the Southern population here! :D

Kent A Bathurst
03-31-2011, 12:28 PM
There are two kinds of people. North Carolinians, and those that want to be.

There are two kinds of people. Those that rooted for North Carolina tournament teams this year, and those that rooted for teams still in it.

Maurice Ungaro
03-31-2011, 1:39 PM
There are two kinds of people. Those that rooted for North Carolina tournament teams this year, and those that rooted for teams still in it.

Kent, I was born & raised in Kentucky, so for now, I still can boast. :D

Belinda Barfield
03-31-2011, 3:00 PM
Good luck with the move, Maurice.

Love this quote Scott. I'm passing it along to the friend of a friend who move to Cary from Hartford, Connecticut!

Tom Winship
04-01-2011, 9:02 AM
I don't know if you are a fan, but I hear there is some pretty good basketball in the area also.

Maurice Ungaro
04-01-2011, 9:41 AM
:
I don't know if you are a fan, but I hear there is some pretty good basketball in the area also.

I know...people from NC are always saying that........:D

Kent A Bathurst
04-01-2011, 10:23 AM

Scott - I'd hazard a guess that name came about in.........oh..........say........ about mid-1865 or so?

My Yankee antecedents have been on my little piece of ground on the north bank of Peachtree Creek since late July, 1864.

Scott T Smith
04-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Scott - I'd hazard a guess that name came about in.........oh..........say........ about mid-1865 or so?

My Yankee antecedents have been on my little piece of ground on the north bank of Peachtree Creek since late July, 1864.

Nah Kent, it's actually fairly new. Up until about 25 years ago Cary was a sleep little old town whose main business was a large tobacco warehouse. As high tech jobs have increased significantly in this part of NC (think Research Triangle Park), Cary experienced a growth explosion of folks moving in from the NE for the high tech jobs. The locals came up with the nickname.

It's hard to find a Cary native unless they less than 15 years old.