PDA

View Full Version : No. 29 - Wormy Chestnut SW HF

James Combs
03-27-2011, 3:15 PM
I had posted some about this earlier as an unknown barn-wood but have since come to the conclusion that it is old growth chestnut. Here is the original post with additional photos, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?160831-Barn-Unowood-quot-Simulated-quot-HF. As you may recall I simulated hollowing it and asked for advice as to whether I should continue with it. Well here it is finished and hollow.

It has been very depressing. I tried filling the worm holes with gold glitter... what a mess... re-sanded and dug out most of the glitter and let it set for a week or two in disgust. I picked it back up a couple days ago and remounted it sanded it and applied some finish just to get it out of the shop.

Stats:
Material = Old barnwood very wormy Chestnut (my best guess)
Diameter = 5.5"
Height = 3-1/8"
Finish = Deft sanding sealer w/1 coat WOP

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 3:45 PM
JD, you did a nice job on the form and the hollowing - very clean looking. I like the holes, myself, and I would have probably put on a wash coat of shellac to seal the sanded form, then rubbed a reddish brown acrylic paint into the holes to accent them. With the shellac on the form, you could simply wipe the excess paint off the form, leaving the paint in the holes. You could probably still do that, but, it looks fine the way it is IMO.

Chip Sutherland
03-27-2011, 3:58 PM
That is a nice SW form. Nice wood. IMO...folks like to feel the worm holes so hopefully you softened the edges. A few more coats of WOP will help protect it from oils from handling.

Roger Chandler
03-27-2011, 4:00 PM
Nice one JD!

David E Keller
03-27-2011, 4:46 PM
Great job! I like the holes and the finish. It's a good looking form, and I like the little detail around the opening.

James Combs
03-27-2011, 5:13 PM
JD, you did a nice job on the form and the hollowing - very clean looking. I like the holes, myself, and I would have probably put on a wash coat of shellac to seal the sanded form, then rubbed a reddish brown acrylic paint into the holes to accent them. With the shellac on the form, you could simply wipe the excess paint off the form, leaving the paint in the holes. You could probably still do that, but, it looks fine the way it is IMO.

Thanks John, that sounds like a better idea then what I was trying to do although I am kind of leaning towards blue.:D

Jim Burr
03-27-2011, 6:23 PM
That's a busy piece of wood Mr C! Not sure you needed the accent rings on top, but they look cool too!

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2011, 6:42 PM
James - glad to see you hollowed this piece out! To me - it looks like it was worth the effort!

I know everyone has different tastes in what they like when it comes to turnings but I like the worm holes and feels it adds a lot to the character to the piece! I also like John's idea of adding a hint of color to highlight the holes. Just my opinion, but feel John's suggestion of Red would blend in with the wood better than Blue... but that is up to you. Just feel the Red would help bring out some of the warmth of the wood!

If you decide to highlight the wormholes - please post an updated photo when it's complete!

James Combs
03-27-2011, 9:41 PM
James - glad to see you hollowed this piece out! To me - it looks like it was worth the effort!

I know everyone has different tastes in what they like when it comes to turnings but I like the worm holes and feels it adds a lot to the character to the piece! I also like John's idea of adding a hint of color to highlight the holes. Just my opinion, but feel John's suggestion of Red would blend in with the wood better than Blue... but that is up to you. Just feel the Red would help bring out some of the warmth of the wood!

If you decide to highlight the wormholes - please post an updated photo when it's complete!

Thanks Steve and everyone else for your comments. BTW I was just joking about the blue. I like the idea of something in the reddish spectrum.

Dan Forman
03-28-2011, 4:02 AM
I like it, holes and all. Those little guys sure were busy in there. I don't know if I've ever seen tighter growth rings. Love the contrast between heart and sap wood.

Dan

Baxter Smith
03-28-2011, 9:35 AM
Nice job Jim. I like the shape and don't mind the worm holes at all. I can imagine the mess and aggravation you must have had with the glitter. Guess that is why I shy away from trying to fill "defects"? But its probably a case of no guts no glory. Someday you will create a stunner while I just have same old same old!

David Reed
03-28-2011, 9:46 AM
I really like this shape especially the rim treatment. And if you have seen my work, you know I love the holes in one form or another.
Nice work

Mark Hubl
03-28-2011, 3:44 PM
Nice form. I like the collar and the foot. Far as the wood, sometimes it is what it is. With that much worm work, I think it best just to go with it. The piece turned out good.