PDA

View Full Version : OK John

Dick Wilson
03-27-2011, 3:14 PM
It has been a week since you posted "The Jet Has Landed". The thread goes on and on from a lot of people giving you the raspberries and congrats.

Where is your first turning????

And don't give us any excuses about you have been busy with this and busy with that. It won't wash. Turn it on and make something!!!!! :D:D:D

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 3:39 PM
Dick, in fact, I have taken the Jet on a "Virgin Voyage", but it is not sanded out yet - so, no pics, didn't happen!! But, to be honest, I have had little time - so much other stuff to switch over with the new lathe, and today my project is to build the ballast box. Just picked up 360# of sand for that, and headed to the shop right now. I hope to sand out this 14" bowl this evening or perhaps tomorrow. It will get an oil finish, and Ms. Keeton has claimed it already!

And, you would be proud, it is knee deep in shavings next to the Jet right now!!!:D:D I guess that pic is as important as the ones of the bowl!;)

Dick Wilson
03-27-2011, 3:56 PM
Good for you my friend;). A Jet lathe without knee deep shavings around it is being abused. Here is a pick of the sand box I built into the lathe. I have also included a pic of my on/off switch. I mounted a europeian cleat on the entire length of lathe. I wired up an on/off box that slides along the cleat. It is very handy and safe because you don't have to reach across the turning path.

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 6:08 PM
Dick, here is proof of the mess, and the new ballast box (was only able to get 240# of sand in it - four 60# bags), as well as a couple of shots of the maple bowl. This is the first green wood to finish bowl I have done. Not my cup of tea, and it will require some sanding. But, Ms. Keeton likes it!

That is a good idea on the sliding switch. A kill switch is on my list of modifications. Time.....just time!

Jim Burr
03-27-2011, 6:14 PM
Now that's what I'm about!! Any specific reason you went outboard or just because? Nice bowl too!

Lee Koepke
03-27-2011, 6:17 PM
I am glad to see some shavings on the floor ... I like that bowl shape!!!

Dick Wilson
03-27-2011, 6:19 PM
Dick, here is proof of the mess, and the new ballast box (was only able to get 240# of sand in it - four 60# bags), as well as a couple of shots of the maple bowl. This is the first green wood to finish bowl I have done. Not my cup of tea, and it will require some sanding. But, Ms. Keeton likes it!

That is a good idea on the sliding switch. A kill switch is on my list of modifications. Time.....just time!

I have the Jet 1442. The great thing about the 1642 is you can turn the speed way down. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury. You are approaching this whole new lathe thing smartly. Take care of She Who Must Be Obeyed right out of the gate. Smooth sailing for you in the future.:D:D:D

Nate Davey
03-27-2011, 6:20 PM
Great bowl John. How do you like turning off the end of the lathe? I love my remote, especially when working off the end.

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 6:22 PM
Now that's what I'm about!! Any specific reason you went outboard or just because? Nice bowl too!Jim, I didn't turn it outboard - just have it down there to sand a little later. I did move the rest and headstock to the end to hollow the bowl, however, at Schlumpf's suggestion. Much easier!!

Donny Lawson
03-27-2011, 6:48 PM
John, What size bowl is that one? The reason I ask is I am looking at new lathes and wondering how big can I turn?, and is there some kind of extension to turn outboard? I mean something for your tool rest or is that something extra? If you have the extension would it be possible to get a pic of it on the lathe? I need more to drool over. Thanks,Donny

David DeCristoforo
03-27-2011, 6:56 PM
Nice bowl John. But what is this? Shavings and dust on the floor of your shop???

Tim Thiebaut
03-27-2011, 6:57 PM
John that is one very nice looking bowl you turned there, and I love that lathe, one thing that just hurts like crazy on mine is leaning over the ways enough to see back under a rim and trying to control a tool while leaning over like that, you dont have to do that on yours that would be wonderful to me. That wall cabinet behind your new lathe looks so barren and empty, did you just put that up to hold all the goodies for the new lathe?

Jack Mincey
03-27-2011, 7:26 PM
Great looking lathe and bowl. How did you like not being able to bogging the lathe down easily when turning? I love the little Delta's but still have a hard time taking light enough cuts to prevent myself from bogging them down when doing bowls. The first of many great bowls to come I'm sure.
Jack

Fred Belknap
03-27-2011, 7:38 PM
John that is a nice spalted bowl and a respectable pile of shavings.:D My Grizzly looks a lot like your Jet. Looks like some of the components could just be swapped. I took the metal feet off my Grizzly and bolted it to the concrete floor using anchors and 3/8" lag bolts. I had to do a little shimming but it is very solid. That does make a problem if you ever want to move it. The way things worked out I wish I had gone the Jet route. Just live and learn.

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 7:47 PM
Fred, I am real pleased with the Jet. The 5 year warranty is a big selling point with the electronics involved.

John, What size bowl is that one? The reason I ask is I am looking at new lathes and wondering how big can I turn?, and is there some kind of extension to turn outboard? I mean something for your tool rest or is that something extra? If you have the extension would it be possible to get a pic of it on the lathe? I need more to drool over. Thanks,DonnyDonny, the bowl is 14", but it was not turned outboard. I just have it down at the end to power sand it. I did move the rest and headstock very close to the end to hollow it out.

Nice bowl John. But what is this? Shavings and dust on the floor of your shop???Not to fear - by tomorrow evening, all will be clean again!!

John that is one very nice looking bowl you turned there, and I love that lathe, one thing that just hurts like crazy on mine is leaning over the ways enough to see back under a rim and trying to control a tool while leaning over like that, you dont have to do that on yours that would be wonderful to me. That wall cabinet behind your new lathe looks so barren and empty, did you just put that up to hold all the goodies for the new lathe?Tim, that "wall cabinet" is actually the bottom of a drop down assembly table. A relic holdover from my flatwork days. You can see pics of it in the thread of a tour of my shop (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?117074-Shop-tour-finally!)- pre turning days.

Great looking lathe and bowl. How did you like not being able to bogging the lathe down easily when turning? I love the little Delta's but still have a hard time taking light enough cuts to prevent myself from bogging them down when doing bowls. The first of many great bowls to come I'm sure.
JackJack, the torque and power of the Jet is significantly better than the Delta! One can hog off all the wood they can get hold of without fear of bogging down.

Ray Bell
03-27-2011, 9:49 PM
Aaak, shavings on John's floor. Who woulda thought. Congrats on the new lathe John:)

David Reed
03-27-2011, 10:26 PM
One of the best features of my 1642 is the mobile headstock. turning off the end of the ways makes many things sooo much simpler.