PDA

View Full Version : No turning going on

David Reed
03-27-2011, 2:07 PM
Returned from my latest walkabout a few weeks ago and still have not fired up the lathe. I may even have a reasonable excuse. My oldest daughter just had her third cesarean bringing Tatiana, our first grand DAUGHTER forth. Due to the surgery her mother has required a bit more assistance than otherwise may have been expected.

I have found some time to work on an old project. Back in 1976 when I was too poor to purchase a nice crib for our first born, I decided to make one. Well, as things usually go, the project expanded and required the services of a lathe. Of course, I could not afford this either, so, you guessed it, I built my first lathe. With 18 inch swing and 48 inch long, it served very well until I bent the shaft with a large hollow form. I replaced it a couple years ago with the Jet 1642.
Anyway, my absolutely first lathe project was in need of some major refinishing. Complete disassembly, stripping, sanding and refinishing is finally complete.

Ahh, you think Tatiana will enjoy her new abode, but this is not to be. My younger daughter lives much closer to home and placed dibs on the old version so it will be occupied mid April (or so) by (name as yet undisclosed), our second grand DAUGHTER. Not sure what happened with the color in these pics - (guess I should adjust the white balance; perhaps later) - it is a much richer brown and 100% white oak. I set up the lathe under the sun outside in my 15x30 foot yard in the dry climate of Pullman Washington. I was able to complete the project with a borrowed table saw during one summer between winter sessions of grad school. I still cannot believe how much time I must have dedicated to this considering how long it took merely to refinish. Apparently I had more patience back then.

Nate Davey
03-27-2011, 2:20 PM
Congratulations Grandpa and that is a beautiful crib. I'd sleep in it if it were a bit longer :D

Jim Burr
03-27-2011, 3:04 PM
Beautiful craftsmanship and a great story David. Gratz on grand daughterhood!