PDA

View Full Version : hand saw primer

Zahid Naqvi
03-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Can someone in the know make a post on the various types of saws and what they are used for(preferably with pictures), something along the lines of the chisels primer George posted a while back. The FAQs sticky could use such info. I was talking to David Myers this weekend and we started talking about panel saws and carcass saws and to be honest I couldn't think of how they were different and what use they were designed for. When I think saws I only have three thing in my head: rip, cross cut and dovetail.

Tony Joyce
03-27-2011, 2:39 PM
Can someone in the know make a post on the various types of saws and what they are used for(preferably with pictures), something along the lines of the chisels primer George posted a while back. The FAQs sticky could use such info. I was talking to David Myers this weekend and we started talking about panel saws and carcass saws and to be honest I couldn't think of how they were different and what use they were designed for. When I think saws I only have three thing in my head: rip, cross cut and dovetail.

Something like this from Mike Wenzolff's site?

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/faq/31-general/43-sawselection.html

Jim Matthews
03-27-2011, 9:28 PM
I'm with you on this one, Zahid... there's only so much room in my shop.

I think that beyond one to rip long boards, and one to crosscut thick stock, a back saw of around 14" with maximum cut depth to 4" should cover a lot of bases.
I keep coming back to a cheapo Footprint backsaw that I sharpened myself. There's probably not a single tooth marching directly behind it's predecessor, nor an angle consistent on either side... but it cuts straight and fast.

I like Mike's stuff, but after a little math - we're talking about power tool shop money.

Pedder Petersen
03-28-2011, 5:21 AM
Hi Zahid,

Christopher Schwarz has an excellent article on his blog: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/woodworking-in-america-the-saws-you-need

Cheers
Pedder

Zahid Naqvi
03-28-2011, 10:54 PM
ok, how about this. I will make a list below and write what I can extract from the two links above, if some of the more experienced members can fill in any gaps it would be great. Add more details/pictures or further types of saws.

Western saws
Based on how the teeth are shaped and ground
1. Rip saw: For cutting wood along the grain or ripping.
2. Cross cut: As the name implies for cutting across the grain.

Based on use

Tenon: Used for cutting tenons, which is a tricky preposition because you have to make both cross and rip cuts. So how do you file this saw? Perhaps have one of each, i.e. a cross cut tenon and a rip cut tenon.
Panel: Used for cutting sheet good or panels, typically 16-24" long with 8-12 TPI.
Frame:
Dovetail: As the name suggests they are used for cutting dovetails. Smaller in size, typically 8-12", and fine toothed to get a more clean and controlled cut. Filed rip since it has to cut along the grain.
Sash:
Carcass: Standard multi purpose back saw. Can be used for cutting small tenons, usually fewer TPI than a dovetail because this is for general use.
Miter:
coping:
key hole:
compass:
Fret:
Flush cut:
Stair makers:

Japanese Saws

Robert Trotter
03-29-2011, 9:41 AM
188875 188876How about a set like this? Just add these pics to Mike's web site.

Panel saws - cross cut and rip.
Back saws - tennon, 2 sash, carcase, 2 dovetails

The panel saws are the two larger saws with no brass backs. They are 24" rip and 22" cross cut. I'll be using them for breaking down stock. The rip saw, I love - very quick. The panel saw can be set up for the work you want to use it for.

The tennon saw is 16" 10ppi.
Then two sash saws (modern tennon saws) one cross and one cut. These are 14" and I am using them for small tennons and larger dovetails etc. (13ppi rip 12ppi cross-cut)
Then a carcase saw- generally crosscut used for all manner of things.
Dovetail saw 15ppi
Dovetail saw 20ppi

Trying to use them all. :)

john davey
03-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Might want to add half back to the list. Mike makes one as did Disston back in the day. I know Schwartz did an article on one a while ago. It is an interesting saw to me and I was wondering if someone could comment on it's uses. My non expert thinking is this could be used as a kind of hybrid and do the work of a few saws and save me some $$$ (like I wouldn't buy something else anyway).

Trey Palmer
03-29-2011, 2:34 PM
This is a very timely post for me, and what would be most useful is a good, minimal, basic set recommendation for those of us
just starting out.

I've seen more info for the backsaw range and find that easier to sort out.

Chris Schwarz recommends three saws: dovetail, x-cut carcass, and a smaller rip tenon (sash).
Schwarz has said that he will be encouraging woodworkers towards fewer, better tools, and he's finishing
up a book on his tool chest build which may address this point.

Joel Moskowitz of TFWW and Mark Harrell of Bad Axe are both promoting the idea of a single hybrid-cut
larger backsaw for those just starting out. The TFWW saw is a 14" sash saw with 13 tpi. Bad Axe has
14" sash and 16" tenon saws and recommends 12 tpi hybrid-cut.

I have the LV dovetail and carcass saws, putting me 2/3 of the way towards Chris Schwarz's basic set.
I'm not yet sure what to do about a tenon saw but the TFWW hybrid-cut kit seems like a good deal,
especially since the Veritas carcass saw seems a little small to be my only cross-cut backsaw.

There is much less information out there, or at least it's a lot less concise, about good initial choices for
panel and hand saws. I'm sure this is partially because even most hand tool enthusiasts still use power
tools for most of their stock prep and initial dimensioning, leaving them with less need for these types of saws.

My best guess, just based on general reading, is that to accompany the "Schwarz set" a ~22" 9-10 tpi panel X-cut
and a 26" 6 tpi rip would be a good set of larger saws.

And then for ripping larger stock, a frame saw seems like a good way to go.