PDA

View Full Version : Double Gloat!

Cathy Schaewe
03-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I just got back from Totally Turning 2011. I was only able to spend one day there, but what a day! I attended the following demonstrations: Esthetics and Turning of Hollow Forms by Andy DiPietro
Introduction to Piercing by Paul Petrie, and
Natural Edge Bowls by Dale Nish.

I bought more exotic wood than I needed. Introduced myself to George Guadiane and Baxter Smith, and chatted with Alan and Lauren Zenreich (their jewelry is neat stuff!). Looked for Brian Effinger, but didn't see him.

Heard Raffan in the next room have a catch so spectacular that it tore the piece right off the chuck (or at least that's what Dale Nish said happened - he may have been chuckling a little as he said it).

And, when I got back, I had an e-mail from Randy telling me my Monster just shipped!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Whooo Hoooooo!

charlie knighton
03-27-2011, 10:37 AM
cool, enjoy

Michael James
03-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Congratulations! Sounds like a spectacular weekend. I'm sure you will be happily hollowing for quite a while.

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Wow! Sounds like quite the day!

Would have loved to sit in on Andy's demo! Love his work! Did you get to see any of George's demos? George is one of those turners that if folks are not familiar with his work - they need to do some searches here and check him out! Great stuff!

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new hollowing system! You are going to love it!

Rex Guinn
03-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Wow nice weekend and a geat lathe you are going to love it!

Brian Libby
03-27-2011, 12:23 PM
I am still at Totally Turning and have seen many great people.
Demos by Gearge Guadiane-Multi offf axis turning
Dale Nish-turning unseasoned wood
Kurt Hertzog-Ornaments from thought to hanging
Rick Angus-Twice turned bowls
ALL were great demos
This afternoon will go to another George Guadiane demo and end the day with a Richard Raffan demo.
Super instant gallery and vendors area.
Well worth the trip.

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Cathy, sounds more like a quad gloat, or even better!! Great demos, meeting creekers, buying wood, and hearing your hollowing rig is in the mail!! Congrats x 4!!

Roger Chandler
03-27-2011, 1:05 PM
What an adventure!!! ;):D

David E Keller
03-27-2011, 1:07 PM
I'm more than a little envious. Congrats on all accounts. I do believe that it is customary to post photos of any physical gloat, so the exotic wood haul qualifies.

Donny Lawson
03-27-2011, 2:39 PM
Sounds great. Looking foward to seeing pictures.

Chip Sutherland
03-27-2011, 3:31 PM
Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to seeing what you learned. I've been to two symposiums: Rocky Mountain 2009 and SWAT 2010. Great sessions and great experiences. And ooohhh the load of wood I brought home. Didn't need any of it but I had to feed the vortex some discretionary funds. I hear SWAT hoping to have even more vendors than last year. Feeling the vortex again already.

I love my Monster setup from Randy. Bought for a smaller lathe but when I upgraded to a mustard monster, Randy made upgrading the old setup easy.

Cathy Schaewe
03-27-2011, 9:42 PM
I'm more than a little envious. Congrats on all accounts. I do believe that it is customary to post photos of any physical gloat, so the exotic wood haul qualifies.

ok, I can do that!
Black Ash burl, BLM burl, box elder burl, indian rosewood, pink ivory, african blackwood, and amboyna burl.
And, I had this nice piece of flame box elder from Donny Lawson waiting when I got home too! Thanks Donny!

Michael James
03-27-2011, 9:47 PM
I hope you bought a lottery ticket with this run of good things goin down!:cool:
mj

Alan Zenreich
03-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Cathy,

It was lovely meeting you and others from the Creek.

Tomorrow I'll post a photo of a few things we acquired from the vendor area.

Lauren attended a few of Jennifer Shirley and Paul Petrie's sessions... and asked me who sells the NSK Presto. Needless to say, we had one in hand within a few minutes of her request.

So now Lauren's arsenal has enough weaponry to pierce, airbrush, burn and otherwise attack innocent pieces of wood.

David E Keller
03-27-2011, 10:40 PM
That's quite a haul, Cathy! I particularly excited about that black ash burl... Looks like a knockout piece of wood. I'm also interested to hear your impressions of the pink ivory... I've never turned the stuff, so I'm anxious to get some feedback. Thanks for the photos, too.

Kathy Marshall
03-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Nice haul Cathy! Symposiums are great! Nice to meet fellow turners and see the demonstrations, and then there's the vendors!
Congrats on the Monster! You're going to have so much fun with it! You should be getting a little "monster warming" package in the mail at about the time you receive your monster :D

Dan Forman
03-28-2011, 3:37 AM
Sounds like an exciting time, and much to look forward to as well.

Dan

Baxter Smith
03-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks for introducing yourself Cathy! I had hoped to run into you there. Meeting you, Brian Effinger, Brian Libby, and George Guadiane was one of the best parts of attending. Sorry I missed Alan & Lauren Zeinrich though I did take a look at their very nice work in the gallery on more than one or two occasions.
Attending 8 presentations and listening to 6 different presenters was quite interesting. It was nice to see some of George's void filled hollowforms in person and quite enteretaining to listen to the stories about his secret mulch pile and other wood collecting adventures! He specifically mentioned drooling over a piece of that black ash burl. Hope you left him a piece!;)

I only came away with a 4" angle nozzle blow gun similar to what Andy DiPietro used to blow out his hollowforms. Should be 9.95 well spent! Yes, I know about the picture thing but....:)
Since I also saw my first turned piece of blackwood, there may be other expenses down the road.:rolleyes:
(Of course there was the SN2, jaws and a couple of Thompson gouges I was frantically trying to pm a creeker about on my cell phone late one night....)

Good luck with those burls you picked up. Looking forward to seeing them again!

Jim Burr
03-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Woot! I get such a hollow feeling when I use my Monster :rolleyes::p. Your gonna have a ball!

Brian Effinger
03-28-2011, 7:10 PM
Glad you had a good time, Cathy. I'm sorry I missed you, especially I was in the same room as you (Andy's HF's). At least there's next year. :)

Raffan shot a piece of wood across the room on Sunday, too. :D I'm glad I'm not the only one doing that.