PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 716 miter saw

Bill Sherman
03-27-2011, 5:52 AM
The Dewalt 716 12" dual bevel mitersaw (non slider) is on sale for $340. Is this a good saw for the money? I have a 10" delta now that will not crosscut a 5.5" board - very limiting. What is the max crosscut on this saw? The box says it is 10" but the insert is only about 8.25". I am doing small projects (frames,small boxes,etc....No tablesaw) so I don't think I need a slider.... but the extra capacity might be nice. Are sliders as accurate at 45 dgs. as a non slider? Anyone have this saw? Thanks for any help.

Bill

Larry Edgerton
03-27-2011, 9:19 AM
I'm not sure what model it is but I have a Dewalt 12" nonslider that is so bad all I ever use it for is cutting rough lumber. Junk with a capitol J. Will not make a good cut no matter how good a blade you put in it. Have a 12" Makita non slider that is great, has been doing good work for me for a long time and is still accurate. I think the Dewalt is going to turn into a metal cutoff saw, its useless for any thing that needs to fit precisely.

Bill White
03-27-2011, 1:10 PM
I don't use a slider 'cause I have a RAS for the wider stuff. My DeWalt 10", fitted with a Freud 80 tooth Diablo blade cuts a well as any saw I have ever had. Can't imagine why Larry has had such a bad experience. I would buy another DeWalt in a heartbeat.
Bill

Bill Sherman
03-27-2011, 8:45 PM
Thanks guys. Now I'm looking at the Makita 1016l 10" slider. A little more money but more cross cut capacity.

Bill

Greg R Bradley
03-27-2011, 9:47 PM
Get a manual for any of the Dewalt saws and look at the procedure to get that last bit of crosscut capacity. Then tell me if you would ever do that. It seems only designed to quote a bigger capacity. They aren't completely lying but it is a bit silly.

Makita does get just a bit more "real" capacity than the others with the LS1016 & LS1216 with the quad rail setup.

Larry Edgerton
03-28-2011, 7:54 AM
Thats a much better choice. I actually prefer the older Makita with the larger table that was just discontinued in favor of the quad rail because of the table design having that huge circle that was better for short parts. You may be able to find one at a discount somewhere. I bought one for $325 on a closeout last fall.

Another slider I like is the 10" Hitachi, but not the one with all the crap that they always have at the Borg, but the simple one with the motor high, can't remember the number, sorry. I have a couple of 8 1/4 Hitachi's and they are incredibly durable, but are limited for depth. Great for outside trim and siding though. I'm not a big fan of 12" saws for trim, too much blade, but they do have their moments such as crown cutting vertically.

My favorite is the old cast iron Delta's with the jackshaft that weighed eighty pounds. I have three and and a couple of parts saws.

Richard Shaefer
03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
I have a DW-716 and really have no complaints about it. It' has good solid fine tuning features to it that, with some patience, will give very solid performance. That being said, the Makita is a nicer saw, and I think I'd find more use with a 10" slider than I currently do with my 12" static. IT certainly would be more cost effective to have both my chop and table saws using 10" format blades.

David Helm
03-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I used the original version of this saw for many years as a jobsite mitre saw. Worked beautifully for everything from crown molding to framing lumber. This was before all the mergers, when Dewalt was actually making good tools.