PDA

View Full Version : Mud sale finds now with pictures

curtis rosche
03-27-2011, 12:18 AM
I went to the Gap PA mud sale today and made a killing.
I got a two horsepower doerr motor plus a large vacuum pump used for milking cows all for only $10:eek:
I also got a electric chain saw with a 16inch bar for only $3:eek:
Those of you who are with in a few hours driving distance should really come to the mud sales that are this time of year. Tons of amazing deals. Table saws and band saws go cheap and so do hundreds of tools and garage and household items. Anything you can think of.

Pictures of the motor and the chainsaw will come tommorow.

I haven't had a chance to plug in the motor yet but was told it worked. The chain saw does work.

My step dad wants me to get a motor starter for this motor for safety reasons. Where is a good place to look for them ?

here is the pictures. they are of the cahinsaw, the motor, the motor plate,, the vacuum the motor was mounted to, and the vacuum id plate.. if any one knows anything about the vacuum that would be great also

Dan Forman
03-27-2011, 3:13 AM
Sounds like you made a few good deals - hope everything works well. Can't help with the starter question.

Dan

Russell Eaton
03-27-2011, 7:52 AM
Go to a electrical supply store and you should be able to get help with the starter.

Jerry Marcantel
03-27-2011, 3:23 PM
[QUOTE=curtis rosche;

My step dad wants me to get a motor starter for this motor for safety reasons. Where is a good place to look for them ?[/QUOTE]

Curtis, is your stepdad talking about a magnetic starter? They can be found at all electric supply houses. They just need to know what your motor requires, and then they can set you up. I don't know why you need it, unless you have a lot of power failures.. ................. Jerry (in Tucson)

curtis rosche
03-27-2011, 9:27 PM
Curtis, is your stepdad talking about a magnetic starter? They can be found at all electric supply houses. They just need to know what your motor requires, and then they can set you up. I don't know why you need it, unless you have a lot of power failures.. ................. Jerry (in Tucson)

he told me its called a motor starter. he said it protects the motor from over heating and from drawing too much current. thats about all i know. i havent looked into yet.

ed hoxter
03-27-2011, 10:05 PM
curtis, how do you find out when they are having these mud sales? i was up there last summer for a few days. very pretty country. john keaton lives in gods country too. ed

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 10:11 PM
curtis, how do you find out when they are having these mud sales? i was up there last summer for a few days. very pretty country. john keaton lives in gods country too. edEd is the king of yard sales - a veteran of the famed 127 yard sale!!;) You will have him lusting over this sale, Curtis!!:D

David Reed
03-27-2011, 10:18 PM
If I understand correctly what you are speaking of re the motor starter is a fused magnetic switch. It can be very important in applications which may not have adequate thermal or current protection in industrial applications. Not thinking you really need this for your hobby lathe. Most motors have internal thermal protection now anyway plus if the circuit breaker is correctly sized, should be no worries. Unless this is not built into your motor or if you plan to really work the motor very hard, it should not really be a concern. While it is certainly possible to overwork an electric motor and burn it up, it is also pretty easy to prevent merely by monitoring the temperature by placing you hand on the motor if you are concerned of the load or duty cycle.

curtis rosche
03-27-2011, 10:40 PM
ed, you should be able to google search lancaster county mud sales. or you can just PM me and i will send you the dates i know.. around here the dates are in the papers and their are flyers and sale adds

David,
my step dad is set in his ways and that is what he was referring to, he wants me to get it because the way the motor is wired the thermal protection is bipassed to be wired for 230 volt. i do plan on running this motor as hard as it will go because of the amount of turning and type of rough outs it will see. it may be over kill but he wants it and if i dont have it he wont let me hook it up, or i will not be allowed to have it in the garage.

curtis rosche
03-27-2011, 11:15 PM
also, is this chainsaw a good one to use?

David Reed
03-28-2011, 9:59 AM
my step dad is set in his ways and that is what he was referring to, he wants me to get it because the way the motor is wired the thermal protection is bipassed to be wired for 230 volt. i do plan on running this motor as hard as it will go because of the amount of turning and type of rough outs it will see. it may be over kill but he wants it and if i dont have it he wont let me hook it up, or i will not be allowed to have it in the garage.

Certainly can't argue with that logic, especially if the thermal protection is bypassed. The mag switches are indeed a nice safety feature avoiding accidental activation etc. Very nice haul.

Jon Prouty
03-28-2011, 11:32 AM
I am not a chain saw expert by any stretch but that one scares the bejesus out of me. Looks like the safety guard is broken and the top handle is missing some. I would hesitate to fire that thing up until one of the chain saw experts weigh in.....

Jon

edit - I found this saw on amazon and the handle looks right but there is definitely something broken on front of the saw.

curtis rosche
03-28-2011, 11:52 AM
where can i get a starter for cheap? i looked a few places but they were $200 or more

curtis rosche
03-28-2011, 10:03 PM
from what i can find, the pump that i got with the motor will run 2 hp 885 rpm 18.5 cfm@ 15" is this too much for a vacuum chuck?

Jerry Marcantel
03-28-2011, 10:47 PM
where can i get a starter for cheap? i looked a few places but they were $200 or more

Curtis, go online, put in NHD motor controls. They can set you up, but language is a problem, and when you want answers, they are sleeping, and when you are sleeping, they want answers..... They are in China.
I bought a 36" wide belt sander 3 years ago. All three contctors were fused, and it wouldn't start. I contacted several supply houses here in Tucson, and they wanted anywhere from $200 to $800 each. I was prepared to spend the 200 each, but my wife found NHD. After about 2 weeks of emails, I sent them 75 dollars, and they sent me all 3 contactors for that. It included shipping which was more than the cost of the same exact contactors that were in the machine.
Looking at the data plate, that motor pulls 27 amps on 110 volts. Wow, that's a lot for two hp. At 220 volts, it pulls about the same amperage several several 2 hp motors I have wired at 110 volts....... Jerry (in Tucson)