PDA

View Full Version : Jet is ready to go

Greg Just
03-27-2011, 12:05 AM
I finally got the new lathe assembled and it is ready to go for tomorrow. A little electrical problem in that the GFI circuit in my shop is sensitive and blows when I turn the lathe on. I plugged it into another circuit on an extension cord and it works just fine. Guess I will need to get a new GFI outlet. Also, I need to get the old Delta out of the shop as there is just not enough room.

Steve Campbell
03-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Greg congrats on the new jet. I'm sure you will love it. I have herd that most lathes that use electronic speed control don't like gfi outlets. Most end up doing away with the gfi and run a regular line.
Congrats again. Have fun.

Steve

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Your new lathe looks great Greg! I've always heard that GFI circuits and power tools don't play well together. Figure it has something to do with initial surge of current when powering up.

Looking forward to hearing how you like turning on your new lathe!

Eugene Wigley
03-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Congrats on the new lathe. I know you will enjoy it.

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 7:32 AM
Greg, congrats on getting that thing up and running without getting hurt! Looks right at home. I put mine thru its paces yesterday and I am very pleased. However, I will be building a ballast box asap!! The one thing I notice is the "top heavy" feeling from the Jet compared to the Delta 46-460 I had. I think the broad base I built for the Delta helped, whereas the weight of the headstock and 2 hp motor really will make the Jet walk easily. I plan to cure that this week!

Otherwise, no regrets!!

Good luck on moving the Delta - should sell quickly.

Russell Eaton
03-27-2011, 7:46 AM
I don't remember mine that clean. Congratulations and go get it dirty:)

Brad Vaughn
03-27-2011, 8:49 AM
GFI?
Darn I hate them things but I do have some in my shop yes one that runs my lathe.
Seems that a GOOD name brand will work. Them cheap ones seem to be just to picky.

Mind you when mine start acting up they will be gone!
Id think about moving the old Delta to a safe place I found that I still go back to my old lathes from time to time.

Greg Just
03-27-2011, 8:50 AM
With regards to the GFI, when my basement was finished 3 years ago, code required the electrician to install the GFI. I have a wash tub in my shop and that could be the reason. I will be replacing it with a regular outlet.

John - assembly was rather easy and I plan to give it a workout today.

Brad Vaughn
03-27-2011, 8:56 AM
Yep that wash tub is it.
I dont have any water in my shop so I am not sure why the last owner put them in I would not myself.

Bill Bolen
03-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Congrat's Greg on the new lathe! You have to be very anxious to get some wood on there and give her a go.

Doug W Swanson
03-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Looks great Greg. Just needs a little dust on it!

Greg Just
03-27-2011, 6:03 PM
Looks great Greg. Just needs a little dust on it!

Doug:

Is this enough dust (and shavings)? I roughed out an 8 inch silver maple bowl this afternoon. The electronic speed control is great as you can go real slow until the bowl is balanced.

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 6:12 PM
Ahhhhh!! The first Jet bowl!! Nice work, Greg!

Donny Lawson
03-27-2011, 6:56 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. You new lathe owners have got me drooling all over my keyboard.

Peter Fabricius
03-27-2011, 7:58 PM
Hi Greg;
Very nice Lathe, are you competing with John?
You talked about an extension cord to test the Lathe, so I assume it is 110 volts?
The GFI is a problem for the Lathe but you should not remove from the circuit because it is probably protecting more than one receptacle.
The best solution is to run a new 14/2 wire from a dedicated 15amp breaker direct to a new receptacle near your Lathe. The receptacle should then have Surge Protector plugged into it so the Lathe electronics have protection from the enevitable line surge.
A dedicated circuit is the least you can do for such a nice new Lathe.
Good luck with yours. I did the dedicated circuit breaker and I have no worries, I also did the Surge Protection thingjfor my Nova DVR XP.....
Peter F.

Keith E Byrd
03-27-2011, 9:32 PM
Congrats on the new lathe - it is a nice looking machine! I am in the middle of rebuilding my bench so I can set up my new Nova DVR XP - with any luck I will be able to make shavings by next weekend!

Donny Lawson
03-29-2011, 9:13 PM
Is there any difference in the 1 1/2hp model and the 2hp model other than the hp? What kind of price difference between the two?

John Keeton
03-29-2011, 9:54 PM
Donny, far as I know, the only difference is the HP and torque, and a little bit of weight difference - very slight. The cost difference is about $270 at the sale prices.

Roland Martin
03-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Is there any difference in the 1 1/2hp model and the 2hp model other than the hp? What kind of price difference between the two?

I think John had said it was about $270 difference. The 2 hp is 220v, the 1 1/2, I believe is 110v. Haven't tried the 1 1/2, but really love the 2.

Congratulations, Greg, you're really gonna love it!

Donny Lawson
03-30-2011, 6:56 AM
I think John had said it was about $270 difference. The 2 hp is 220v, the 1 1/2, I believe is 110v. Haven't tried the 1 1/2, but really love the 2.

Congratulations, Greg, you're really gonna love it!

Thanks, I have been thinking of upgrading to something bigger.The Powermatic3520B is way out of my price range and the Jet is close to where I would like to be. I think the 1 1/2 hp model would be great. Who has the best deal on one now. Is there any good accessories that come with the jet? I've never had one with a sliding headstock and was wondering would it not be better to be able to work at the end of the lathe while turning a bowl? That way you would not have to reach over the lathe bed. Just a question for the jet owners.

Greg Just
03-30-2011, 7:04 AM
Thanks, I have been thinking of upgrading to something bigger.The Powermatic3520B is way out of my price range and the Jet is close to where I would like to be. I think the 1 1/2 hp model would be great. Who has the best deal on one now. Is there any good accessories that come with the jet? I've never had one with a sliding headstock and was wondering would it not be better to be able to work at the end of the lathe while turning a bowl? That way you would not have to reach over the lathe bed. Just a question for the jet owners.

Donny:

Jet/Powermatic just had a 15% off sale. You might check with ToolNut to see if they will still honor the price which ended Monday. Their price included shipping. I got the 1.5 hp version mainly due to electrical limitations in my shop. Would have cost a lot to get 220 in there. The lathe came with a faceplate, 4 prong drive, live center, tool rest, tool storage rack and a safety cage which I'm not planning to use. The best feature is the electronic speed control and getting the rpm's down low enough to rough out a large bowl. The headstock does slide and will accommodate larger turnings.

Roland Martin
03-30-2011, 7:21 AM

Donny, I think until the end of March, which obviously is coming quickly, Jet & Powermatic have a 15% off sale going on. I got mine last year from the Tool Nut, great people to deal with. When I bought mine, most people were urging that if 220v was available in the shop, that it was seriously worth considering the 2hp. Of course, everybody has a budget to live by.
Yes, the sliding headstock is great for bowl work, much more comfortable then leaning over the machine. My 2hp came with a 12" tool rest, a 6" faceplate, knockout bar, live tailstock center and I think a four-spur center for the headstock. If I remember right, there's a bed extension option and a tool rest stand. Now go empty your wallet :D