PDA

View Full Version : Sorby Thin Kerf Parting Tool

Dave Lehnert
03-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Have an Amazon gift card burning in my pocket and this has been one tool on my list but too cheap to buy myself. Any experience with the Sorby thin kerf parting tool?

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 11:47 PM
I have one and use it when turning finials. Works great!

Scott Hubl
03-27-2011, 12:00 AM
I have one and like it. I was looking for the Chris Stott one recently, but they are no where to be found anymore.

So on Amazon I picked up the "PSI Woodworking LCTEN HHS Wood Lathe Tenon Tool" it's Only $16.16 and if your an Amazon Prime Member it ships Free and you'll have it within 2 days. I Love getting things within 2 days and free. lol
(OK Free after you buy enough to pay for the yearly Prime membership, but thats pretty Easy to do.)

I wanted the longer angled point for some things. It's nice and STIFF too. 1/16" wide.

Greg Just
03-27-2011, 12:07 AM
I have it and use it all the time. An old steak knife works good too.

Tim Thiebaut
03-27-2011, 12:48 AM
I just got mine a month ago and love it, I am very glad that I got it!

Dave Lehnert
03-27-2011, 1:25 AM
Thanks

I have been sitting on a gift card since last summer. Was using the lathe tonight and thought HEY!
Will be placing an order tomorrow.

Dan Forman
03-27-2011, 3:09 AM
I have one and much prefer it for parting things off. Be sure to get the one with the fluted blade, cuts very clean - not sure if the others mentioned here have that flute.

Dan

Dave Lehnert
03-27-2011, 9:51 PM
Ok, Just found out Sorby makes more than one parting tool. This is the one I was looking at.

Is the Crown any better? http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Narrow_Parting_Tools___Crown_Narro w_Parting_Tool___crown_narrow_part?Args=

Tim Thiebaut
03-28-2011, 12:40 AM
I dont know about the crown, but the one in the picture you posted here is the one I have, as I said I have only had it a month or so but love this tool, I use it all of the time now.

Donny Lawson
03-28-2011, 6:56 AM
Dave, I made one like the Robert Sorby in the picture out of a sawsall blade and it works great. Easy to make.

Jeff Nicol
03-28-2011, 7:01 AM
Dave, I am like Donny, I have made a few different ones out of old saw blades and one from the blade of a pruning saw that I broke the tip off. They are easy to make and fun to try different angles and materials to find what works best. Then make a pretty one to use all the time! So far mine are all ugly but work great, just need some time to get everything pretty!

Have fun with your new tool,

Jeff

Quinn McCarthy
03-28-2011, 9:16 AM
I have one and really like it. I use it for cutting out rings when I make a laminated bowl.

Quinn