PDA

View Full Version : Reversible chuck? What does this mean?

Rick Cicciarelli
03-26-2011, 11:38 PM
I see that the Nova chuck is reversible which makes it suitable to use on the new Delta lathe with reverse. Comparing this chuck to the Vicmarcs though I liked the look and feel of the Vicmarc more. What does it mean to hav the chuck reversible? If it is not a big difference, I think I might go with a Vicmarc...I kind of like the enclosed backside. Opinions and some input on chucks would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Rick - a reversible chuck has a couple of set screws that allow you to tighten the chuck to the spindle. This prevents the chuck from unscrewing when the lathe turns in reverse. Not all chucks have the set screws - so those that do are called reversible. Check to see if the Vicmarc doesn't have those same set screws.

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 7:21 AM
Rick, having owned three G3 chucks, and still owning one that takes an insert, I can tell you they are excellent chucks - and, I am sure the Vicmarc is as well. The one thing that drew me to the Nova is the frequent sales for additional chucks and various jaws. I don't see that with other brands as often. On the issue of the closed back, I now own a SN2 with the closed back, and I think all it does is keep me from knowing how much crude is inside my chuck!! That dust gets in there from the front and sides, and I seriously doubt the back helps any. I try to blow out my chucks nearly everytime I use them, and occassionally will swish them around in some MS - seems to do a fine job of keeping them in top shape.

As to the "reversing" feature, I use my chucks all the time in reverse for light sanding and did not, do not, use the set screws. There was a thread not to long ago on this very topic, and apparently I am in the majority on that. Were you to attempt to turn in reverse on one, I highly recommend the set screw.

Chip Sutherland
03-27-2011, 3:18 PM
I have 2 SN2 and a G3. Like them both. I like the mass of the SN2 over the G3 but the G3 is a whole lot easier to clean. I use all my chucks in reverse; HOWEVER, I am not turning in reverse so I do not set the set screws either. I use reverse only for sanding. Turning in reverse exerts pressure on the chuck such that it could spin loose and be a hazard. The set screws will prevent this. I have see Don Derry turn in reverse but have not tried it myself.

On one occasion, I did lock it down with the set screw. When I tried to take the chuck off, I thought it was just on really tight. Now I have a gouge in my head stock spindle because I forgot to loosen the darn set screw.

Jon Nuckles
03-27-2011, 3:21 PM
I occasionally use reverse to hollow small pieces (up to about 5" in diameter) and have not used the setscrews on my SN2. Not saying that is a smart practice, but I haven't had any problems yet. I think a chuck with set screws can also be useful when you are turning large pieces that might keep spinning a bit when you turn off the lathe; they can unscrew the chuck as well.

Neil Strong
03-27-2011, 9:31 PM
I have an assortment of about ten Nova and Vicmarc chucks, plus some others, which I use constantly, including some rigorous applications. Both makes are OK.

Teknatool pioneered the scroll chuck with basic 4-jaw design for woodturners and were the industry leaders for a long time (their Supernova Deluxe is a very nice bit of gear) but their quality assurance has become a bit variable in more recent years, though may have picked up a bit lately. They seem to have dropped out of the larger chuck/jaw end of the market with the Deluxe and Titan (its successor) dropping out of production. I still buy up older secondhand SN2s and SN Deluxes whenever I get the chance.

Vicmarc make top rate gear and have pushed ahead in the range of jaws sets on offer.

The VM chuck inserts come with a retaining ring that can be used to secure the chuck to the Vicmarc lathe (with a clamping device) for reverse turning applications. I'm not sure if this would work on other lathes.

If I was starting out now I would probably settle on Vicmarc chucks and jaws, but don't regret the almost twenty years of good service I have had from Novas, nor do I expect I will stop using any of my Novas any time soon, although the Vicmarcs seem to be quietly breeding up...;)

Harry Robinette
03-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Rick
A reversible chuck is needed for running in reverse,my Nova Titan is on my Vega 2600 and it WILL come off if the set screw isn't tight.It will loosen if the bowl weight
over runs the electric brake. My General has a DC drive with reverse and I've had the problem with it also.It's something that will happen so you need to be sure it doesn't.