PDA

View Full Version : Reverse for my Delta 46-701?

Kelvin Burton
03-26-2011, 11:01 PM
I have a Delta 46-701 12" variable speed (by belt) lathe that doesn't have a reverse option. Can this 110v single phase lathe be re-wired to allow it to be reversed?

My Barracuda chuck doesn't have locking screws, would I have problems with it coming off? I want to use reverse for sanding purposes.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Kelvin - I am not familiar with your lathe or motor but on my old lathe, the motor had a small plate covering the wiring connections. On the inside of that plate it had a wiring diagram and connections used for a specific direction of rotation. All I did was wire in a double pole double throw switch such that when the switch was on the far left position, the lathe ran CW, center position was OFF and the far right position the motor ran CCW. So, look and see if your motor has a small wiring diagram on it somewhere and you should be able to determine if it is possible.

Thomas Canfield
03-27-2011, 9:42 PM
Reverse sanding without locking screws can unscrew the chuck. Don't ask how I know. It has not been an dramatic experience, but one that makes you glad you have a kill switch handy when the chuck starts wobbling, and the good news is that sanding is done at the lower speed and usually with lighter pressure. The motor issue is the biggie. Unscrewing the chuck might be a bigger issue without the soft start of variable speed motor and someone else would need to address that.