PDA

View Full Version : drilling cast iron-drill press or hand drill

James Baker SD
03-26-2011, 10:58 PM
I started installing a power feeder on my shaper this afternoon. I had to drill 4 1/2" holes in the wing of the shaper table. I debated whether to try to do it with a battery powered hand drill or to remove the table wing, rig a larger table for the drill press, and do it on the press. Finally got cowardly and took the wing off and used the drill press. What a good decision. The drill press went through the cast iron like it was butter and I have 4 perfectly round holes exactly where I want them. Cannot imagine that would have been the case with a hand drill.

A previous thread discussing drilling cast iron recommended no lubrication so that is what I did. Now I have a nice collection of iron chips ready to play with a magnet below paper and plot out the field lines.

Should finish the install tomorrow, as wife is getting hungry.

James

Chris Fournier
03-26-2011, 11:35 PM
I recently drilled and tapped 8 holes in my Euro combination machine - also for a power feeder. Taking the cast iron to the drill press was not an option. I used an accurate template, a prick punch, centering drill bit, twist metal bit, cordless drill and a simple jig to keep the drill plumb to the table surface and locate my holes. Easy as pie and quick. The cast iron was about 7/16" thick in all instances and no trouble for my 12v Dewalt drill.

Chip Lindley
03-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Chris has it!

I would add: Begin by hand-drilling a much smaller hole--1/4", and work up to finished diameter in 1/16" increments. Each larger bit centers itself in the previous hole, and the bite taken is small enough for the wimpiest cordless.

Bret Duffin
03-27-2011, 1:39 AM
Cast Iron is fairly soft for drilling with a sharp HSS drill bit. I put four holes each in my shaper, TS and Jointer. I went straight to the final diameter needed and then hand tapped the treads. I used a center punch and a little cutting oil. No problem.

Bret

glenn bradley
03-27-2011, 11:28 AM
It took a long time to convince me but, once I did it I realized it is quite easy to drill. I have done it on the DP when I needed that kind of precision and by hand with a punch, small bit and finishing bit with great success.

scott vroom
03-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Should finish the install tomorrow, as wife is getting hungry.

James

OK I had to ask: Why can't your wife eat until you've finished drilling holes in your shaper table?

James Baker SD
03-27-2011, 12:27 PM
OK I had to ask: Why can't your wife eat until you've finished drilling holes in your shaper table?

I'm the cook :-)

James

ray hampton
03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
1st, he cook
2nd , they eat together
3rd, they going out to eat