PDA

View Full Version : Black on Black

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 9:25 PM
Maple hollow form, 6 ¾” high to top of finial x 6 ¾” diameter x a hair over 1/16” thick. Sanded to 400 grit, dyed black and has many coats of gloss wipe-on poly. The finial and lid were also turned out of Maple and dyed to match the HF. After waiting a few weeks for the finish to dry, it was buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

188450 188452 188449 188451

I initially thought the piece reminded me of obsidian but the more I look at it, the more I think it resembles smoky quartz. This one is going to a gallery show in May – so if you can think of a good ‘artful’ name for it, I would really appreciate your input!

As always – your comments, opinions and/or critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

David DeCristoforo
03-26-2011, 9:30 PM
"Stealth"

This is one wicked looking piece of woodwork!

John Keeton
03-26-2011, 9:33 PM
Steve, the finial on this one is perfect for the form!! Great proportions. This one finished up nicely, and I like the smokey look better than black. Smokey quartz is referred to as Smokey Topaz - not very original, but fitting. The color is dead on the color of these earings.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VS7Wdq8eL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B002HICOT8/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3367581&s=jewelry)

Roger Chandler
03-26-2011, 9:38 PM
Great form Steve, and IMO it has a lot of understated elegance............the finial reminds me of the lance finial on another piece you did..........."Knight?" something or other,...........

Great finish on this.........the deep reflective qualities give it a depth of field that makes one take more than a cursory glance at this form.

Lee Koepke
03-26-2011, 9:43 PM
I not only like the color .. but the finial really sets it off.

Very nice.

Jon Prouty
03-26-2011, 9:49 PM
Hi Steve - I like this one a lot. Almost a cool volcanic / cinder coloration. Naming things is not my area - good luck. (First thought was "bare diamond" for coal but I don't like that anymore).

JP

Pete Jordan
03-26-2011, 9:53 PM
That is wonderful, Steve!
You keep getting better and better!

Robert McGowen
03-26-2011, 10:11 PM
That finish is something else. Do you really "wipe on" the poly, or do you apply it while the piece is still on the lathe?

David E Keller
03-26-2011, 10:14 PM
That's a striking piece! When I look at the profile, I feel like I'm looking down on a stingray, so 'Stingray' would be my artsy title.

I really like the color differential between the heartwood/sapwood, and the finish is fantastic.

Scott Hackler
03-26-2011, 10:15 PM
"Smoke Contained". Very nice Steve. I really admire your abilityto get such a nice finish on ALL of your projects. Guess I need to try WOP again.

Michael James
03-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Steve, whatever you name it someone will be hollering "MINE" quickly after being unveiled. I dont have any new adjectives to add to my standard beautiful piece, etc. Question: Why are you turning the last few so thin?
Thanks for posting!

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Seriously appreciate it!

Robert - I sand on the lathe but all my finishing is done off-lathe. The finish is wiped on using a folded paper towel using a sort of French Polish technique. Basically where you use very light coats of the finish and build up to the level of gloss that you want over time. The real trick is to wipe it on quickly and not go back to retouch an area you may have missed. You have to wait until everything dries and just get the missed area the next time around. If you try to touch it up - the thin coat of finish that was on there will already have started setting up and you will pull part of it up with the paper towel. Makes a mess and you end up sanding the area and starting over. Yup - only have to do that a few times and you learn that one!

Ron Stadler
03-26-2011, 10:23 PM
That's a striking piece! When I look at the profile, I feel like I'm looking down on a stingray, so 'Stingray' would be my artsy title.

I really like the color differential between the heartwood/sapwood, and the finish is fantastic.

I second the stringray idea, looks just like one. Excellent form by the way Steve.

Harry Robinette
03-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Steve
what about Passion.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=Michael James;1669883Question: Why are you turning the last few so thin?[/QUOTE]

Good question and I don't have a set answer to it. I have a show coming up in May and the gallery asked me for an additional 10 hollow forms - they already have 5. I turned those over the past month and wanted a variety of forms, weights and colors to present to the gallery for consideration. Some forms - were intentional turned so that the weight matches what you would expect when picking it up. Others were turned small and delicate and on those forms the weight is minimal. To me, it's all about balance and trying to anticipate what the person viewing the piece would expect if they picked it up.

Dick Wilson
03-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Steve, It is hard to tell from the picture, but I suspect the glossy finish is very reflective. What about "Dark Reflections"? Beautiful form and finial.

The way you post pics of your new work, you must spend more time in the shop than I do.

Michael James
03-26-2011, 11:15 PM
To me, it's all about balance and trying to anticipate what the person viewing the piece would expect if they picked it up.

Although I had never considered that, it makes sense. Thanks for responding!
mj

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Dick - thanks for the name suggestion! I don't spend the time in my shop that I would like too but do manage to average about 4 hours a day - more of less.

Jim Burr
03-26-2011, 11:59 PM
I know this is one of those that "The pictures don't do it justice". I'm going guess that it's like looking into a black hole...miles of depth. Call it "Vader"

Eugene Wigley
03-27-2011, 1:07 AM
Another beautiful hollow form with the always great Steve Schlumpf finish. Thanks for posting this. Good luck at the show. I know you will do well.

Kathy Marshall
03-27-2011, 2:14 AM
Beautiful piece Steve!

Dan Forman
03-27-2011, 3:07 AM
First thing that popped into my mind when seeing this piece was stealth aircraft. Not much good for a name, but...

Classic line to the form and finial.

Dan

Russell Eaton
03-27-2011, 8:03 AM
A beautiful piece AGAIN. The title "Black Ice" comes to mind. It looks "slick".

Brad Vaughn
03-27-2011, 8:54 AM
WOW nice!
but
Black is Black in the sac AC/DC LoL
sorry for that A younger day for me.
I love the mirror look to it very nice makes my stuff look well Satan!

Roland Martin
03-27-2011, 9:08 AM
:eek: You have the patience of a saint with your finishing process, Steve, and it shows on every piece. This is yet another fine example of your incredible design, turning and finishing skills, you are trully an artist in every sense of the word:). Thanks for posting.

Greg Just
03-27-2011, 9:21 AM
Beautiful piece - beautiful finish. Finish is an area I need to improve.

Good luck with the gallery.

Maria Alvarado
03-27-2011, 9:56 AM
Steve, another gorgeous piece! I'd love to know how you "finish" your finish. The finial is perfect, is it 3 or 4 sided?

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Maria - the finial is round. You are seeing the reflections from within the photo tent.

Not sure what it is you are asking about finishing. I buff the finish after it has dried for a week or longer and then top it off with a very light coat of Renaissance wax - but that is about it.

Tim Thiebaut
03-27-2011, 12:39 PM
This is just a beautiful piece Steve, I tried to think up a name last night, but I am just not good at coming up with names for things like this, but love the shape and color of this piece, very nice!

John W Dixon
03-27-2011, 1:07 PM
Man, I absolutely love this piece! Love It!

Michael Short
03-27-2011, 7:20 PM
Very, very nice Steve !!! The finish is tops !!!

Mark Hubl
03-28-2011, 4:04 PM
Love the color on this one. Sweet.

Jon Lanier
03-28-2011, 4:28 PM
Very nice, Steve. You never fail to amaze.