PDA

View Full Version : Thread about my machine power, so im not hijacking a thread.

Ben Cartwright
03-26-2011, 9:07 PM
Ok so I posted it in another thread, and I'm sorry for jacking it. Here is my setup, I have a ULS25E with a 60watt synrad tube installed. We purchased the machine to engrave serial number tags. We have been messing with cutting and engraving different materials. I have no way to test the output of the machine to see how much power it still has. the other thread was noting speeds way faster than I can go, It could be the difference between brands for speeds, I have some baltic ply I sourced on ebay to play with.
When I cut Acrylic, it is .10" I have the speed to 1.8% and Power to 100%, my PPI only goes up to 1000, so that is what I have it set for. If I go 2.0% speed it doesnt make it all the way through.. That is on a Circle or square vector.
I know that different kinds of wood will vary, but the acrylic should be really close to the same.
Is there something else I should try?

Joe Pelonio
03-26-2011, 9:54 PM
Well, my laser is only 45 watts, and I regularly cut through .25" acrylic at speed 8%. You are right that the speed % may vary by machine. I can tell you that on speed 2 with mine the head is barely moving.

Ben Cartwright
03-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Maybe the best thing to do is take a video, I will try to do that tomorrow when I go to the shop. That way there is an idea how fast 1.8is

Rodne Gold
03-27-2011, 1:48 AM
Just time a 5" circle and a 5" square cut thru 3mm perspex (0.12") which is a common thickness , ask others to do the same with their machines listing their power and compare results. Your time should be similar with similar powered lasers or lets say double theirs of their lasers are 1/2 your power. If there is a substantial difference and yours then seems very slow ,then investigate further.

Ben Cartwright
03-27-2011, 1:56 PM
I cut a 5" square in .10 acrylite, "thats what I have"
5" square at 1.6% speed took 50seconds.
5" circle at 1.6% speed took 45sec.

Hows that compare for your speeds?

Gary Hair
03-27-2011, 2:03 PM
42 sec for the square and 31 for the circle - 1.2% speed, 100% power (40ips and 30 watts) .125 cast acrylic.

Gary

Ben Cartwright
03-27-2011, 4:05 PM
So yea, I'm way down from the 60 watts.
Thanks Gary for the quick reply!

Mike Mackenzie
03-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Ben,

First and foremost the ULS 25 E systems were never made with a 60 watt laser tube. 25 watts was the max on that system. If someone put a 60 watt laser tube on that system they would have had to change the power supply as well.

Unless you have a power meter to test the output I would seriously doubt that it is a 60 watt laser tube. The other thing is that most if not all 50 watt and above synrad laser tubes use water cooling the fan cooling on the 25E is not adequate to cool a larger laser tube.

The ULS25E systems were circa 1998 so unless someone did some serious modifications I would question the 60 watt tube. Try pulling off the cooling fan encloser and get the S/N from the synrad tube and contact synrad to check it out.

Dan Hintz
03-28-2011, 1:49 PM
First and foremost the ULS 25 E systems were never made with a 60 watt laser tube. 25 watts was the max on that system.
I wondered the same thing, but I'm not up on Epilog models, so I left it alone...

Mike Mackenzie
03-28-2011, 5:29 PM
Dan,

This is an early Universal system they were only produced with Synrad 25 watt tubes so Ben either got wrong information or someone did some modifications. This really does not make any sense because you would spend more to modify that system than buying a brand new 60 watt system.

Ben Cartwright
06-18-2011, 9:12 PM
Ive been off the forum for a while. On the Synrad tag it lists it as 60 watts. I know they came with 25 watt tubes installed. This one has a later date on the, I cant remember what it was exactly but I think 1998 if I remember, The laser is at a county fair until Monday, then I can get the serial number off the unit and some pics if I can find my camera. Work got super busy and had about 57gazillion things going on, but is finally slowing down now.

Michael Conley
06-19-2011, 7:51 AM
Ben, you mentioned that your laser is currently set up at a county fair. My limited experience with events like fairs is that the electrical power supplied to vendors is often inadequate. If your machine is plugged into a series of extension cords strung together by the county without regard to voltage drop, that will cause you some problems.

Richard Rumancik
06-19-2011, 5:35 PM
Ben, the Synrad labels I have seen do not actually show the laser power on the s/n plate. The labels after about 2000 (not sure of the exact year) or so were "printed labels". I have seen some from the 1990's that were made of foil and the variable text (model number, s/n) was added by hand using a stylus to emboss the foil. But I don't recall seeing the output power on either label - the output power is embedded into the model number, for which you need to look for the specs. The "25 watt" Synrad J48-1S is a 10+ watt tube, and the J48-2S is a 25 watt tube. New tubes output more than those figures. GCC sells systems with J48-2 tubes that are guaranteed 30 watts when new (they sort and/or tweak to do this.) But they can't make a 50+ watt in a J48-2 enclosure.

There is one possibility that the label you saw is a compliance label. I have seen some 25 watt Synrad tubes that have a separate sticker that says something to the effect "laser power 75 watt maximum" or some other high number. If you see "max", then it is probably not a rating for the laser output. It was intended to put the laser into a category for safety agency compliance.

Ben Cartwright
06-20-2011, 3:08 PM
I pulled the cover off the back, its tag says 60w C02 MAX. The date was December 9, 1996. Model H48-2-28S 4236, Input power 30VDC I2V . The power wasnt an issue at the fair, Everything worked as it should.

Ben Cartwright
06-20-2011, 3:42 PM
I contacted Synrad, it is a 25 watt tube, the 60 watt sticker is the maximum instantaneous peak power the the laser will produce.
So I think it runs good for 25watts.