PDA

View Full Version : Chifferobe drawer slides

David Warkentin
03-26-2011, 9:01 PM
I am going to build one of my sisters a chifferobe. I was wondering what kind of slides would be proper for the drawers. The top part behind one door is going to have a stack of drawers. Also will have two full width ones on the bottom. Would you use wooden slides of some full extension metal ones? TIA

dave toney
03-26-2011, 9:27 PM
I am going to build one of my sisters a chifferobe. I was wondering what kind of slides would be proper for the drawers. The top part behind one door is going to have a stack of drawers. Also will have two full width ones on the bottom. Would you use wooden slides of some full extension metal ones? TIA

Blum makes some very high quality under mount drawer slides that are invisible from the sides and have a soft close feature built in, perhaps not "authentic", but very cool and high tech!

David Warkentin
03-26-2011, 9:56 PM
Thanks Dave and welcome here! I want to be careful how much money I get in it...

shane lyall
03-27-2011, 1:03 AM
I did a chest of drawers years ago and used pine for the slides. I know better now! I think you might be ok with hardwood if $$ is the issue but you would be much better off with mechanical slides.

Norman Hitt
03-27-2011, 5:37 AM
IF you should decide to go with wood slides, for the best longevity of the slides, use two different types of wood for the mating surfaces, ie; maple drawer sides with poplar, pine, ash, oak or other for the case part of the slide, just so both parts are not same, (maple, in this example). Don't ask me WHY this works, but it has been proven over and over again.

Frank Drew
03-27-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm sure you know this, but depending on the hinging and how far the door will open, you might have to pack out the inside of the cabinet so that the drawers don't hit the edge of the hinge stile when they're being pulled out.

David Warkentin
03-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks for your answers.