PDA

View Full Version : burns inspired

David E Keller
03-26-2011, 7:24 PM
I was lucky enough to get some beautiful buckeye burl recently, and I turned this little HF from it. The look of the wood is so unique, and I thought the brown tones in some of the defects and eyes would look good with cocobolo. The original version is shown here.

The wood has a very contemporary look to me, and the finial just didn't work. Keith Burns does some gorgeous hollow forms, and his signature finial is quite contemporary in my opinion. I've wanted to try one of his finial forms for a while, and this seemed like a great chance to give it a go. I didn't ask permission, but I'll beg forgiveness if he objects to my blatant plagiarism.:o

It's a little over 5 inches in diameter. Finished with shellac and BLO. I'm sort of liking the soft finish on it now, so I'm thinking I'll skip the WOP.

Your comments, criticism, and suggestions are appreciated.

Russell Eaton
03-26-2011, 7:43 PM
David I like the look of both finials. I tend to like the traditional a little more. Just my opinion though. I definitely like the top out of the Buckeye, that just has a nice flow to it. Great job.

Jason Silva
03-26-2011, 7:45 PM
I love the second finial. Works great with the form and finish.

charlie knighton
03-26-2011, 7:58 PM
very nice...

Jim Burr
03-26-2011, 8:04 PM
Super form doc! I really like Keith's finial on this one, the original had to much space between the lid and bottom of the drop. Not sure if the color of the finial works for me, but i get change back from my .02

Nate Davey
03-26-2011, 8:05 PM
Great call on the finish Doc and I love the second finial. Very simple, shape not turing it, oriental?????. Buckeye burl is one of my favorites. Very well done

Michael James
03-26-2011, 8:05 PM
Beautiful piece, David! I too like the Burns exclamation point finial, but if I hadn't seen it, I would have liked the original too. Love how the base of the finial continues the form. Thx for posting.
mj

Tim Thiebaut
03-26-2011, 8:06 PM
I think the second finial works very well, I like it alot. Nice HF to David you did a good job on this.

David Warkentin
03-26-2011, 8:12 PM
I like the second one better. Good job.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 8:12 PM
Very nice work David! I can see the swirled paint effect that I would expect to see in an art gallery - so the term contemporary fits well. Not 100% sure about the color of the finial but your Burns inspired version works well! The soft finish works well - but have to believe that a high gloss finish would be even more dramatic and possibly give the piece more of a marble effect.

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Roger Chandler
03-26-2011, 8:33 PM
Nice David...........an ebonized finial would probably be a better match............take the Burns inspired one, and dye it black.......it will set the form off!

David DeCristoforo
03-26-2011, 8:34 PM
Sweet!!! The buckeye burl is amazing... more like marble than wood. Form? Top shelf. I have always loved Keith's "exclamation point" finials. You put some nice personal touches on yours.

Don Alexander
03-26-2011, 8:52 PM
i personally like the color of the finial and the HF is very nice if i was choosing i'd go with the second finial though the first one is pretty good too and i would agree with Steve on the finish i think gloss would really pop the marble look of the Buckeye burl

there again though its beautiful just the way it is

John Keeton
03-26-2011, 9:46 PM
David, you did a wonderful job on the form - great wood! I like Keith's style, but on this one, the length may be a little tall, and I don't think I care for the color combo. Seems like the exclamation point needs to be black - and I think it would go with the buckeye better. Another vote for gloss finish.

On the first finial, the cove does seem a bit high, but I like that one with this form a little better.

Robert McGowen
03-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Another vote for a black finial, but the form and the wood itself are exceptional!

David E Keller
03-26-2011, 10:19 PM
I appreciate the kind words and the feedback. I figured the cocobolo would not be popular with many viewers, but I suppose I got a little tired of black. It's always interesting to hear what people like and dislike about a particular turning, and the feedback here has really helped me grow as a turner. Thanks!

Harry Robinette
03-26-2011, 10:42 PM
David
Really nice piece .I like the second finial. The first just don't it for me.

Jon Lanier
03-26-2011, 11:13 PM
I just saw this and my first thought was that Black finials would be better. IMHO.

BILL DONAHUE
03-26-2011, 11:26 PM
David, thats really beautiful. Just so happens that I had a discussion about plagiarism last Sunday at dinner with David Ellsworth. Based on that discussion, I don't think you'd even have to be concerned with plagiarism. The world's best turners do demos well aware that they're teaching others how to do what they make a living at. They know that the attendees will then try to replicate the pros demos at home. The problem comes about though, when people then try to sell what they replicate. I've heard several professional turners define "selling" as the point where copying or plagiarism becomes an issue.

Jon Lanier
03-26-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't see plagiarism/copying/stealing in this at all. Just how many ways are there to form a HF/Bowl. Go back in time and you'll find something like what others claim as there own. If not in wood, then you'll find these shapes in pottery. It is a ridiculous notion, brought forth by a few Prima Donna's.

David E Keller
03-26-2011, 11:59 PM
David, thats really beautiful. Just so happens that I had a discussion about plagiarism last Sunday at dinner with David Ellsworth. Based on that discussion, I don't think you'd even have to be concerned with plagiarism. The world's best turners do demos well aware that they're teaching others how to do what they make a living at. They know that the attendees will then try to replicate the pros demos at home. The problem comes about though, when people then try to sell what they replicate. I've heard several professional turners define "selling" as the point where copying or plagiarism becomes an issue.

I don't sell much of my work, but I donate a fair bit to charitable auctions and the like... I donated a few things to a charity event held last night that collectively brought $2300! I'll be sure this one is given away or donated to avoid any potential stigma.

Pretty cool when you can type things like "I had a discussion about plagiarism last Sunday at dinner with David Ellsworth"!:D

Dan Forman
03-27-2011, 3:30 AM
I love the form, my first thought upon seeing just the thumbnail was the painting "Starry Night" by Van Gogh - which was confirmed upon opening the image. This was before reading Steve's comment, but I completely agree. Even though there are touches of brown on the form, I would prefer black for the finial on this one, not just for tradition, but it just seems right for the predominant gray of the buckeye. The reddish brown just makes it stand out too much.

It's a great piece.

Dan

Michelle Rich
03-27-2011, 6:15 AM
My vote is for finial two...super HF David..I like the soft finish. I tire of all the shine..this looks super to me

Cathy Schaewe
03-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Beautiful. I also like finial #2. I'm really impressed with the quality - and quantity - of the work you've been turning out.

Bill Bolen
03-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Dang David that is some gorgeous wood and a fine job you did with it! I too really lean towards the Burns inspired finial...Bill...

Rick Markham
03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
David, great work! I like it, I like your second finial out of the two. I kind of like the cocobolo finial, but the other's are probably right, black might be more striking. I also agree that a high gloss finish would really make the buckeye pop! I think your form is really well balanced and it certainly is some spectacular wood.

Jerry Marcantel
03-27-2011, 3:27 PM
Beautifl piece of wood and finial #2.............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Chip Sutherland
03-27-2011, 3:39 PM
Nice form....my vote is for 2nd finial and another vote for black....but I'm biased. Every finial I do I end up ebonizing it. Could be that I'm not good at finial design. I'd like to get my hands on some buckeye burl.

Rich Aldrich
03-27-2011, 4:47 PM
That is an awesome piece of wood and you sure did it justice. Nice job. I like both of the finials, probably the second one better.

Mark Hubl
03-28-2011, 4:03 PM
Nice work. I love the buckeye burl. This is definetly on my list of must try woods. The form is great, per usual. I looked a couple of times, and I like the second. I think the wood is doing a lot of talking, so, the second just works better for me. Your inspiration may have been Kieth's work, but you have put a lot of your own spin on it. As far as color, I like mixed woods, but with that buckeye black may have really popped. Nice.

Roland Martin
03-28-2011, 5:11 PM
Really nice form and a great piece of buckeye! I think I tend to lean more to the second finial on this piece, the color, not so much. If I could turn anything close to this, I would shorten the finial slightly and go with a deep gloss. (If I had the ability, of course:))
Very, very nice work David.