PDA

View Full Version : Laser masking tape questions

Don Young
03-26-2011, 4:39 PM
Help me try to understand how to do this. .On laserable plastic (as well as wood), when I try to laser through the R-tape so I can paint fill when it is done, I end up with a sticky mess on which the paint obviously won't stick. Is there something I am missing ? This is the light tack paper tape that was recommended but if I clean up the tape residue then I also lose the paper that is adhering so I can paint only the lasered area.
Needless to say, I am new at this but I had illusions of such an fun and easy process. It has been fun, yes...but easy...not so much.

Richard Rumancik
03-26-2011, 6:02 PM
I don't understand what kind of transfer tape you are using that is leaving residue. Is it transfer tape for vinyl signs? You say it is "masking tape" in your subject line so it sounds like it is the right stuff. Maybe there is some kind of chemical reaction with your plastic? Or a bad/expired roll of tape? I have not seen any tansfer tape leave sticky residue behind.

Larry Bratton
03-26-2011, 6:59 PM
Help me try to understand how to do this. .On laserable plastic (as well as wood), when I try to laser through the R-tape so I can paint fill when it is done, I end up with a sticky mess on which the paint obviously won't stick. Is there something I am missing ? This is the light tack paper tape that was recommended but if I clean up the tape residue then I also lose the paper that is adhering so I can paint only the lasered area.
Needless to say, I am new at this but I had illusions of such an fun and easy process. It has been fun, yes...but easy...not so much.

What kind of plastic are you talking about? Are you speaking about acrylic without a core? What is R-tape?

Tim Bateson
03-26-2011, 7:22 PM
If I understand your issue - you are lasering ONLY through the tape & NOT into the plastic? If so, & you have tape residue left - then add more power or slower speed to burn through it.

Richard Rumancik
03-26-2011, 7:46 PM
If you are raster engraving text and having residue then I think Tim is right - you must be just getting through the mask but not quite through the adhesive layer. Paint fill is intended to fill a recessed space in the text, not sit above the plastic. Check that you are getting proper penetration into the plastic itself. If you have any depth at all the residue should have been burned away.

Joe Pelonio
03-26-2011, 7:51 PM
If the lettering is a decent size, say 3/8" or more, it works best to vector cut through the transfer tape, pick out with tweezers, then engrave and paint. You shouldn't have to go to that extreme, though, if you engrave with enough power to go completely through the tape and into the plastic. If you see that residue you need another pass. It's the adhesive on the back of the tape.

Mike Null
03-27-2011, 8:14 AM
Here is a color fill using spray on red paint on brushed gold/black IPI plastic. The mask was from JP. This was rastered through the mask then filled.