PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Question

John Glennon
01-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Good Morning from San Francisco,

This weekend I am going to turn a plate. I will be using a faceplate on the lathe. I just want to know what type of screws do you guys use. i have read somewhere that when you glue a block on to the wood you are going to use that you put paper between the block and the wood that you are turning. Why? and what kind.

i am new at this. It will be my first turning.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Best regards

john g

Mark Patoka
01-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Welcome John,

I believe drywall screws are not recommended as they are more brittle and could break off easier than a regular wood screw. From what I've seen, paper is usually used when gluing boards to make it easier to separate the two with a chisel. I'm not sure you would need or want to use paper if you're using a glue block since you can just turn the plate off the glue block.

Steve Plunkett
01-27-2005, 12:56 PM
John,
I use #14 x 1" sheet metal screws. They were recommended at a class I took at Arrowmont. They have worked well for me for years. And glue your waste block directly to your work piece. Make sure you give yourself enough room to part it off when you are ready.

John Glennon
01-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks Mark & Steve

Like i said before i am really Neeew with a lathe.

My real hobby is Intarsia which I have been doing for the last ten years.

Turning wood will be a challange for me. But what the hey I injoy making things out of wood.

Best regards

john G

Don Kisela
01-28-2005, 9:14 PM
Watching the Del Stubbs Bowl Turning video, he recommended that you just use drywall screws. So that is what I have always done, and never had a problem. They have a good aggressive thread and are cheap and easy...

Don

Jim Becker
01-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Watching the Del Stubbs Bowl Turning video, he recommended that you just use drywall screws. So that is what I have always done, and never had a problem. They have a good aggressive thread and are cheap and easy...
Del made that video many, many years ago. The current advise from the pros is to avoid drywall screws for this purpose. I generally use #10 or #12 square drive screws (which I have gazzilions of from furniture work) which also have a nice agressive thread, but also have a thicker shaft that is less likely to snap off like I've easily done with drywall screws over the years outside of turning. I also have some #14 screws for use with larger blanks when appropriate.