PDA

View Full Version : White Birch Burl

Rich Aldrich
03-26-2011, 1:15 PM
I have this rather large white birch burl. I am looking for some guidance as to how to cut it up into bowl blanks. The burl growth off the side of the tree is about 22" diameter and 6 -7" thick. the tree diameter is about 12".

I also took a picture of my turning pile. My dad and the family business was a great source of hardwood this year because he had a hardwood sale to cut.

And then there is the family dog, a Pembrook Welsh Corgi. He is a fluffy, having a fur coat 4 times the thickness as normal and frowned upon by the AKC because of being a fluffy.

David E Keller
03-26-2011, 3:09 PM
That's a good looking burl there... Looks like there may be another small one in the background.

I usually cut across the log at intervals approaching the burl until I get into the figure... Sometimes, if you're lucky, it will extend well into the normal appearing portion of the tree. Once I know the margins of the figure, I cut for a particular project if I've got something in mind. If not, I'd double anchor seal any cut surfaces until I had something figured out for it. If you want a large bowl, using a template to choose the location for the bowl will help you plan for maximum utilization of the remainder of the burl.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Gene Hintze
03-26-2011, 3:57 PM
You are a lucky man. Burl and a Corgy. Cutting burl can be a puzzle but eventually you just have to fire up the saw and trust your instincts. It's all good in there. I sawed up a maple burl today and it turned out fine. Four nice natural edge rough outs carved off the side of the log and I still have the whole interior of the piece which should yield about four more blanks. After all I do need something to do on Sunday afternoon with no football to watch. Give that dog a pat on the head for me. He's a good friend I'll bet.

David DeCristoforo
03-26-2011, 4:01 PM
My first cut would be right down the middle of that log, from "top to bottom". Then you can see if the burl figure goes into the limb wood.

kevin nee
03-26-2011, 6:59 PM
Birch Burl is my all time favorite wood!! Take your time
Think about what you want to make. I use the little I have
for feature rings on segmented projects. You won't believe
what this stuff looks like. GOOD LUCK

Bob Bergstrom
03-26-2011, 8:27 PM
+1 here. Cut down the pith and see what the center looks like. Then work your way out toward the perimeter. Once into a burl it is hard not to make a good cut. The figure goes everywhere. It comes down to having a idea of what you want at the end, natural edge, eyes, or rays going up the side of a bowl. Don't worry there be another one along eventually.:D

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 11:07 PM
I agree with Bob - cut it down through the pith and see what you have to play with. After that it is just a matter of cutting it up into the size blanks you want. Each burl is different and you really never know what is inside until you cut it up. Besides - if it is something you really like turning - you can have your Dad pick up some more of them for you!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Rich Aldrich
03-27-2011, 8:51 AM
Thanks for the advise. I probably won't get to it until next weekend, so that gives me some time to figure out what to make from it.