PDA

View Full Version : Mortiser Suggestions

Jeff Sudmeier
01-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Everyone,

I am looking at building a mission style bed in the near future and think that I would like to purchase a mortiser, in order to make it easier to build.

I see that Amazon has the Delta MM300 on sale for $178. I was just wondering what all you thought of this machine? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006K00O/qid=1106839747/sr=1-16/ref=sr_1_16/104-0088992-1735904?v=glance&s=hi

Also, are there others out there that would be a better buy than this machine in either quality or price?

Thanks! Jeff

Jerry Ingraham
01-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Hi Jeff,
I have had a Delta mortiser for 6 or 7 years now and it has worked perfectly. I have cut hundreds of mortises with it and have no complaints. I do know that there is quite a difference in bit quality between the low dollar and high dollar bits. I tried a knock off set and then a Delta set and the Delta set performed better. I suppose the cheaper ones could be sharpened and made to perform well also. I'd say you'll be well served with that machine.

Doug Shepard
01-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty sure that's the same model I own. Delta's got a newer model out with a better holddown and fence if you're going to go with a MM. Personally, I think a MM is one of the things I could have avoided buying as I'm using it less and less. I think it's just the nature of the beast (cutting across the grain), but I get a lot better quality (smooth walled) mortises using a router (cutting with the grain except for the initial plunge), edge guide, and spiral bit. And this is using the higher end Clico MM Chisel/Bits kept sharp. Just my $0.02.

Jim Becker
01-27-2005, 11:56 AM
I've been pleased with my Jet...I don't use it a huge amount, but it has not failed me. The real secret to any of these is to get the honing cones from Lee Valley to make/keep the chisels sharp. Even new, they need to be touched up before they will work to their best ability, especially in softer woods subject to crushing.

Glenn Clabo
01-27-2005, 1:21 PM
I picked the Delta 1/2 HP Mortiser Model 14-651 over others because...
The table redesign is much more stable. Weighs >10lbs more.
It comes with a 2 inch risor.
It comes with 4 excellant bits. Still working great out of the box.
Gas-filled head stabilizer... seems more solid.
The fence... and overall machining and solidness...just felt better.

Do a search and you'll see some discussions...but you will want to check the Tom Hintz site http://www.newwoodworker.com/setupmort.html

John Miliunas
01-27-2005, 1:22 PM
Jeff, for less than $25.00 more, you could have the current model: 14-651 It's priced at $225.00, but after the $25.00 discount (orders over 199.00), you're right there! If you're in a hurry for the 300, check at Farm & Fleet. I think they still have it on sale for the same or similar.:) :cool:

Steve Clardy
01-27-2005, 1:23 PM
I've also got the Jet.

PS. Freds got a delta for sale here in the classifieds I noticed.:)

John Gregory
01-27-2005, 1:29 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006K00N/qid=1106850162/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-tools/103-1238073-6455866?v=glance&s=hi&n=228013

this is the one I have. I like it. It came with a riser block and I like the fence. easy to adjust. I got the honing device from Rockler.

Keith Christopher
01-27-2005, 1:59 PM
I have the same one as john, and man I love it. I used to cut ALL my mortises by hand. So I decided (as I had a job that wanted me to cut ALOT of mortises) to save some time on projects/work and buy one. I couldn't be happier! Be sure and take the time to learn how to set it up and use it. Oh and as Jim said KEEP THOSE CHISELS SHARP !

Keith

Jeff Sudmeier
01-27-2005, 2:55 PM
Okay!! Okay!! Everyone has convinced me that it would be better to buy the 14-651... The best part is that it will be CHEAPER!... The one that I linked doesn't qualify for free shipping, so with shipping it was going to be $212. This one is going to be $200 and it qualifies for free shipping. Gotta love a better tool for less :).

John Miliunas
01-27-2005, 2:56 PM
Okay!! Okay!! Everyone has convinced me that it would be better to buy the 14-651... The best part is that it will be CHEAPER!... The one that I linked doesn't qualify for free shipping, so with shipping it was going to be $212. This one is going to be $200 and it qualifies for free shipping. Gotta love a better tool for less :).
Yeah! So there, take that!:D :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
01-27-2005, 3:54 PM
Yeah! So there, take that!:D :cool:
I will! Straight to the bank!! :)

So I go to order it, put in the coupon code you are supposed to, to get $25 off, and it took off $30! :) So now If I order it, it will be for $195 :)

Thanks for the beating... I mean suggestions everyone!

Jeff

Dennis McDonaugh
01-27-2005, 4:51 PM
Man....you guys beat me to it.

Mike Cutler
01-27-2005, 6:45 PM
Jeff. Just a suggestion for a slight improvement that you may want to consider. I have the 14-651 and have used it quite extensively as of late. Consider buying an XY sliding vise from Grizzly and bolting it or clamping it to your mortiser. It can be very time consuming, continually loosening the hold down, positioning the material and then retightening the hold down. I believe that someone here on the board posted instructions to turn the mortiser around on it's base to give more clearance to use an XY sliding vise. For my application I didn't have to, it worked out ok just clamped to the base.Echo the rest on keeping the chisels sharp and honed. One more thing. I erroneously bought the Clico sharpening and honing kit, only to discover that the grind angle for Clico chisels is different than the Delta chisels :rolleyes: Make sure you get the right honing cone :D

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-28-2005, 1:41 AM
Check the height of your workpieces and the 'throw' of the mortiser. One of the reasons I got the PM floor model mortiser was for making my Mission beds. I honestly can't remember if I COULDN'T do it with the JET benchtop, or if it was just gonna be way easier with the sliding table (and better clamp).

KC