PDA

View Full Version : Could this be a "Hint"

Donny Lawson
03-26-2011, 11:27 AM
I was in the shop the other night working on a bowl and my wife decided to pay me a visit. While watching she said" You know if you could make bigger bowls I could probally sell a bunch of them at work". I told her well in order to make bigger bowls I will need a bigger lathe. She didn't really say anything from there other than,"well I think I will go back in the house now. What would you gather from that?
Donny

Jim Burr
03-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Order now...do not pass go, do not collect $200. When it shows up and she gives you that look..just say "You didn't say no!!". And make sure you have a bowl in the chuck:D.

Donny Lawson
03-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Just in case, what would run real close to the powermatic as far as bowl size? I would love a powermatic but I'm not sure if I can swing the $$$$$.

Dick Wilson
03-26-2011, 11:46 AM
I agree with Jim. She did not say " oh well, I guess I am not interested in bigger bowls after all. The bowls you turn are just fine." I think the vortex door is open just enough for you to squeeze through.;)

Joe Adams
03-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Think BIG! It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Steve Vaughan
03-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Agree with the others. I think she's given you a clear and obvious hint that you'd better jump quick. Go on and buy one more time and buy big and be done with it! She'll love you for it, and just in case, when it comes, be sure to remind her that she gonna have lots of bigger bowls to sell!

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-26-2011, 12:20 PM
+1

Figure out which lathe you want, where to get it from, when to get it delivered, etc...then just show it to her and say "this is what I was thinking so I can make those bigger bowls you wanted".

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 12:36 PM
I agree with John! Have her participate in the decision process! Also point out that with a larger lathe you won't have many limitations as to what you turn and it will also - most likely - be the last time you upgrade! (I know... I know... but you can at least think that for a few years!)

Terry Beadle
03-26-2011, 12:45 PM
She's thinking how to make money and gain respect of her peers. You're thinking how to enjoy the creative spirit. You are both talking about different things.

Explain to her more about your view and work with her towards your goals ( which may include a bigger lathe..possibly not ). It's not a contest between you. There is a vast gap in modern women's views of woodworking. It's a great relief to me to see such respected craftspersons (?) such as Pam that knows what a dove tail is and how to do one in intimate detail. It's a reflection not just on women but also our young men who don't know the first thing about basic woodworking or most practical knowledge. I remember talking with one of my son's about his BMW as it related to a repair. His consensus that it was a problem for the dealer's mechanic and he didn't need to know the why's. Scary ! He's since learned that knowing how to use a cordless drill has great rewards. Our society would be better off with more education in the manual arts. Specialization is not an end....it's a qualification.

Gee...we need an Australian guru about here...Derek? Comments? Hoot!

Reed Gray
03-26-2011, 12:57 PM
As far as bowl sizes that sell, I seldom sell anything over about 14 inches. Bigger than that are for large families and people who entertain a lot. That being said, for me, first choice would be a Robust Sweet 16 which is pretty spendy, in the $3000 plus range. Next would be the Jet 16 inch models with the 2 hp, 220 volt model being first choice. I prefer the sliding headstock to the pivoting one. Another choice would be the Nova DVR, also leaning towards the 220 volt model. The headstock does pivot for larger turnings, or to make it more of a bowl lathe.

robo hippy

David DeCristoforo
03-26-2011, 1:09 PM
Are you kidding? You are actually wasting time discussing this instead of taking advantage of the "carte blanche" ticket you have just been handed? Opportunities like this come very rarely and they don't just hang around waiting for you to act.

Roger Wilson
03-26-2011, 1:53 PM
Sounds like a recognition of the bigger bowls requires a bigger lathe argument, but not sure of the financing.

Come up with a business plan which will show how selling various things will payback in X number of years. And base it on a modest but larger lathe so that the numbers work.

Kirk Miller
03-26-2011, 2:24 PM
I am not sure what your waiting for Donnie, Go forth and prosper. Whatever you do DON"T take her with you, you have allready put a tremendous burden on her by making her make the call for a bigger lathe......lol

Kirk Miller
03-26-2011, 2:32 PM
I almost forgot.....And I think everyone has overlooked that with a bigger lathe, you will need to buy some bigger tools...lol

Lee Koepke
03-26-2011, 3:04 PM
I had a similar conversation ... my wife was with me when I picked up my truckload of maple. I told her thats probably a $4,000 load of wood right there..... 'you mean market price?' ... no, I said ... 'most of that's for a much bigger lathe, chainsaw, chain hoist, and a smattering of new handtools' .... to witch she responded ... oh.

I am not sure what that exactly means ... but .... it sounds an awful like your scenario !!!

Jim Burr
03-26-2011, 3:50 PM
The Jet 1642EVS 2hp 220 is the same as the PM when it comes to power and capacity. My mentor has the PM and we spent 4 hour on a Saturday reviewing tech specs and making calls all to find out they are the almost same except for color and price.

Bob Espy
03-26-2011, 3:59 PM
I have a 1.5 HP JET 1642 and am really happy with it, however, I've been lusting for a PM Mustard Monster. My wife said if I pick up the PM the first thing I should turn would be a funeral urn.

Bob Borzelleri
03-26-2011, 4:14 PM
"Well I think I will go back in the house now." actually translate to: "Uh oh. I either just got set up or I stepped into something soft. So instead of giving him the impression that I support him buying a bigger and more expensive lathe in order to make the bigger bowls that I thought he could simply make on the lathe he already owns, I think I should go back in the house before this leads to something I will regret".

Michael James
03-26-2011, 4:24 PM
+ 1 more on get the buy in, and throw in "everybody knows it will be more stable and therefore safer!"

Fred Perreault
03-26-2011, 4:50 PM
Donny, it sounds like mom wants to be a part of your life of woodturning..... probably since she doesn't see you much any more. You should chat with her about it, and then order the Jet 1642-2 EVS. I just got a Powermatic 3520, and the EVS is the cat's meow. The 20" swing and 630 pounds of mass is also a big benefit over the Jet 16". But in retrospect, I would probably have been nearly as happy with the 220v Jet 2HP. EVS is the way to go... and the Jet is a lot of lathe for $1500 less than the Powermatic

ed hoxter
03-26-2011, 9:03 PM
donny, i would have told my wife to start taking orders and i would find a way to make bigger powermatic bowls. ed

Don Alexander
03-26-2011, 9:19 PM
the way women are you either just got permission to buy a bigger lathe NOW .................... or.............................. you just got informed that bigger bowls aren't all that important

woe unto you if you interpret that the wrong way :eek::rolleyes::eek::rolleyes::eek:

on the other hand it is definitely easier to get forgiveness than permission soooooooooooooooooo............................... .............. you make the call :D:D:D:D:D

Robert McGowen
03-26-2011, 10:18 PM
One time the wife said, "Fine, just go buy a motorcycle." Apparently I missed the sarcasm (:rolleyes:), because I bought one the next day and she has not let me forget it the past 5 years.
You decide if it was a hint or not....:D

Scott Hubl
03-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Go for the GOLD, the Powermatic 3520B GOLD that is.

Best bang for your buck, and a very Nice lathe. Sliding head is very nice the digital rpm readout and reverse, it's just an overall Good Value still. Get the 18" bed and the remote on/off switch while your talking to Sean at ToolNut.

You won't need to upgrade after getting it, unless you WANT to. Or you turn Pro turning 8-10 hours a day 6 days a week, even then, the Gold 3520B could handle it as good as any other lathe.

dennis kranz
03-27-2011, 2:31 AM
Show her a robust. Then tell her how you could make do with a 3520.
Dennis

John Fabre
03-27-2011, 2:46 AM
Take her on a trip to buy this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162759-Jet-1642EVS-2-and-lathes-tools

Reed Gray
03-27-2011, 4:15 AM
When I upgraded to my PM years ago, it paid for itself 3 times the first year I had it. I was already at the local Saturday Market, selling custom made footbags (aka hacky sacks which is a registered trade mark, and foot bag is the generic name for the sport, but that is another story). The money covered all the extra toys I needed to go with the bigger lathe.

robo hippy