PDA

View Full Version : Another Wood Gloat and an NE

Kathy Marshall
03-26-2011, 4:31 AM
Stopped by the tree trimmers after work today to see if they had cut anything interesting this week. Turns out they had a nice little pile of Pistachio :D So I said thank you very much, I'll take it all! Their crew was still there, so they had them load up my truck for me.
The logs have been sitting for a few days, so there's quite a bit of checking, but shouldn't go too deep.
It was getting late when I got home, so decided to wait till tomorrow to seal the logs. I'll probably end up cutting them all into blanks 1st, or at the very least trimming the ends off.
But I was curious, so I grabbed one log with a crotch and split er open. Trimmed it into a 12" round and started turning!

188280 188286

The log I chose to cut open is the one in the center underneath the elbow shaped piece.

Just has a heavy coat of DO so far. 10" long x 8" wide x 3 3/4-4" tall.

Michelle Rich
03-26-2011, 6:26 AM
I am jealous beyond measure..

Johnny Taylor
03-26-2011, 7:08 AM
Wow, thats gorgeous looking timber! The inside of that crotch piece is stunning!

John Keeton
03-26-2011, 7:22 AM
Good haul, and a very nice form on the NE bowl, Kathy! A slender NE goblet from one of those branches would be neat. Not sure how the pith does on Pistachio.

Norm Zax
03-26-2011, 7:46 AM
Very nice indeed !
A question: our trimmers/arborists sell all timber they cut as firewood, so they give away practically nothing. Best case is they sell it at the same price. Dont your local trimmers do the same?

Lee Koepke
03-26-2011, 8:58 AM
Norm, what I have done is bought some firewood back in January .. got to talking to the guy about woodworking that I do, specifically turning, and let him know that I'd be interested in any 'tough' wood that he has problems splitting (crotches, burls, etc). I am on my way to pick up a 24" dia, 5' long, 5 branch crotch of maple ---and he even sliced it up into (hopefully) manageable pieces. Last time he called, I brought a little candle holder I made from some of the spalted firewood he sold me. I'll bring him a bowl or two from this maple and he's already willing to give me a standing walnut.

So, its all on who you meet up with. Bringing them a little something usually goes a long way!

David E Keller
03-26-2011, 9:52 AM
I hate to do this but... You suck!:D

The contrast between heart and sap is fantastic, and I love how that shows in your NE piece. The Chinese Pistache that grows around here must be related, but I think yours may be nicer. Congrats.

Kathy Marshall
03-27-2011, 2:45 AM
Good haul, and a very nice form on the NE bowl, Kathy! A slender NE goblet from one of those branches would be neat. Not sure how the pith does on Pistachio.

Thanks John! I thought about that, but any of the pieces with enough heartwood are bigger logs and I already cut those into blanks for bowls, platters or HFs. Also, the pith doesn't do so well, the pith in most of the pieces is already cracked.

Very nice indeed !
A question: our trimmers/arborists sell all timber they cut as firewood, so they give away practically nothing. Best case is they sell it at the same price. Dont your local trimmers do the same?

Norm, I only deal with the 1 tree trimmer, but they give everything away free. It saves them the cost of taking it to the dump (gas and dump fees).

I hate to do this but... You suck!:D

The contrast between heart and sap is fantastic, and I love how that shows in your NE piece. The Chinese Pistache that grows around here must be related, but I think yours may be nicer. Congrats.

Thank you David!:D
This is Pistachio "Pistacia vera L." (as in the nut), not Chinese Pistache "Pistacia chinensis", but looks like they are in the same family. Chinese pistache is also grown here, I'd be interested to see what it looks like.

Here's the haul after 4+ hours with the chainsaw. I started a HF out of the log in the front thats standing on end. The log is 8" diameter with almost 6" of heartwood. You can't see it from the endgrain cut, but the color is spectacular!. I'de just got the basic roughing on the outside before I had to quit for the day (dang company dinner - shoulda played hooky lol) and I didn't get a pic, but I will tomorrow. A white ring of sapwood around the widest point and the rest splotched with shades of green and black.

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Kathy - congrats on all that beautiful wood! Love the color contrast!

Great looking NE bowl! Looking forward to seeing what else you turn from this wood!