PDA

View Full Version : bimble box burl pedestal

David E Keller
03-26-2011, 12:14 AM
This is a piece I turned quite a while back, but for some reason, I don't think I ever posted it... If I have, my apologies. The upper portion and foot are turned from an Australian bimble box burl. The foot was cored from the upper portion with a parting tool. The stem is ebonized pear if I remember correctly.

It's about 9 inches at it's widest portion. Finished with shellac and WOP.

The burl really doesn't have a lot going for it as far as figure, but I think the natural holes are rather fun. The pedestal is not attached at this point, as I'm not sure I like it. I tried a bit of carving/shaping where the pedestal and base meet, and I haven't decided whether I like it enough to make it a permanent fixture.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

Michael James
03-26-2011, 1:11 AM
Amazingly you kept it together in one piece! Nothing wrong with the pedestal from this view. I gotta say that is about the homliest chunk of turned wood I think I've seen yet...but it's growing on me. :D

Dan Forman
03-26-2011, 3:54 AM
To be honest, I'm not real big on holey turnings in general, but I do like the star end of the pedestal a lot.

Dan

Johnny Taylor
03-26-2011, 7:04 AM
David, I like this, you've taken an ugly piece of wood and made a thing of beauty from it! I also like the carved top to the pedestal.

John Keeton
03-26-2011, 7:35 AM
David, I like the burl bowl and pedestal base - very much, actually. While the figure may not be great, the bowl has a lot of movement to it with the NE shape and the voids. I don't care for the pedestal stem - particularly the top half. The bulge seems to be rather angular given the very nice, flowing onion. While I like the shape of the transition to the bowl, the carving is distracting to me on this one. I think it might work better on a more upright tulip shape to simulate the sepals on a flower. That may have been what you were after here, but the open form doesn't seem to go with it IMO.

Is the base connected to the stem? I think the overall height looks good - you could turn another stem if you desire. This will make a very nice piece.

Rich Aldrich
03-26-2011, 8:41 AM
David -Impressive piece. I like the color and shape of the bowl as well as the contrast between the bowl and the pedestal. I understand the carving issue John has with it, but it doesnt bother me.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-26-2011, 9:58 AM
Doc,
It puts me in the mood for a martini and it's only 10:00 am here. We need a liner for it to be perfect. As all your work, sweeeet!
faust

David E Keller
03-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks!

Amazingly you kept it together in one piece! Nothing wrong with the pedestal from this view. I gotta say that is about the homliest chunk of turned wood I think I've seen yet...but it's growing on me. :D

If you think this is an ugly piece of wood, just wait... I've got some pieces that make this thing look like a pageant winner.:D

David, I like the burl bowl and pedestal base - very much, actually. While the figure may not be great, the bowl has a lot of movement to it with the NE shape and the voids. I don't care for the pedestal stem - particularly the top half. The bulge seems to be rather angular given the very nice, flowing onion. While I like the shape of the transition to the bowl, the carving is distracting to me on this one. I think it might work better on a more upright tulip shape to simulate the sepals on a flower. That may have been what you were after here, but the open form doesn't seem to go with it IMO.

Is the base connected to the stem? I think the overall height looks good - you could turn another stem if you desire. This will make a very nice piece.

I suspected that the carving would not appeal to you... As I said, I'm not sure it appeals to me either. The stem is glued into the base, but I think I can remedy that without too much trouble. I hadn't noticed the angularity of the stem until you said so.

I'll continue to give this piece some thought, and I may try something different. Truth be known, I have a hard time returning to pieces when there's new wood to be explored. As always, your honest feedback is appreciated.

Doc,
It puts me in the mood for a martini and it's only 10:00 am here. We need a liner for it to be perfect. As all your work, sweeeet!
faust

It's Saturday, Faust... If a martini is calling, you should imbibe.

Donny Lawson
03-26-2011, 11:36 AM
I like creations like this. You cannot find "Art" like this just anywhere. The only thing I would watch out for is maybe the base is a little too small. I would be afraid that someone would tip it over and break something. Great piece. Thanks for sharing.

James Combs
03-26-2011, 3:02 PM
David, I like the "hole" thing, however, I believe you may have a leakage problem when you go to fill it.:rolleyes:

David DeCristoforo
03-26-2011, 3:53 PM
Well, now that ain't gonna hold peanuts! This is wild. The movement in the bowl is fabulous. The "lack" of figure does not detract at all from this. I have to both agree and disagree on the pedestal. I really like the concept of the carved petals at the top and you executed this very well. But I'm not sure this is an "appropriate" detail for this particular form. I have been thinking about something similar on the "flower forms" but have yet to attempt it. The embellishment (or as JK so gracefully put it, the "bulge") is distracting. I also really like the "matching" base. If it were me, I would try to separate the three components and turn a new stem that is more fitting to this form. Then I would try to re-turn this stem and put under a more delicate floral type of form.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 11:51 PM
I like this! It grabs your attention just because it is different!

On the pedestal thing... about the only thing that I would change (if returning the pedestal) is the cove just under your carving. Something about having that as a standard cove just doesn't fit in with the tapered pedestal coming up to it. If the center of the cove I was talking about was located at the 1/3 or 2/3 point, I feel it would flow better.