PDA

View Full Version : Wireless security system

Dave Lehnert
03-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Anyone have experience with a wireless security system. I have never liked wireless stuff as it seemed years ago they never worked very well.
A wireless system would be easy to install and less expensive. Been eyeballing this one from Northern Tool. Gets good reviews.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381858_200381858?cm_sp=Upsells-_-Top%20Sellers-_-Product%20Page

Jim Becker
03-26-2011, 9:21 PM
Our professionally installed system is completely wireless...'kept the install time down and made it more flexible. SmartHome has some nice DIY install options in this space, including low-cost monitoring.

Larry Frank
03-26-2011, 9:44 PM
I have a wireless system that was professional installed and it seems to work great. The one I have is also available from a couple of different online suppliers but I did not want to put in the time to figure out all of the programming involved and also wanted a monitored system.

Dave Lehnert
03-28-2011, 6:39 PM
Did not know some professional systems are also wireless now.

How long do the battery last? Are we talking a month, year??

glenn bradley
03-28-2011, 7:40 PM
My system is wireless and has worked well since 2005 without a battery (except the UPS) replaced yet. I ran a test just the other day and all is well including the UPS and cellular backup.

Jim Becker
03-28-2011, 9:19 PM
Did not know some professional systems are also wireless now.

How long do the battery last? Are we talking a month, year??

The batteries in the sensors and keypads last for years before needing replacement. The one difference is that the keypads turn off their displays after x seconds to conserve power...you don't have a glowing red light that the alarm is set, but a quick press of one key will let you know what's going on. The main panel has a normal power supply plus battery backup. It can also support wired zones for a mixed system In fact, many sensors can serve as a drop-off point in a zone for wired contacts where they make sense without having to run cable all the way back to the main panel.

Professionally installed systems have used wireless for years. Some companies, like the local one I use, prefer it. Others, like another local firm I got a quote from, refuse to install wireless. Of course, they also didn't get the business since they were three times the price due to the huge labor of wiring!

Ruhi Arslan
03-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Everything can be wireless including the keypads. It is hard ot call them keypads anymore since they can be kind of control modules as well. If you are concerned about batteries, some keypads have optional hardwired power source although the operation of the keypad is wireless. If you have an existing system panel which is not wireless but you want to add more control points, you should be able to add a "receiver" module to expand your panel. Check out the honeywell security site. Very informative.

Dave Lehnert
04-02-2011, 3:42 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have a hardwired home system that works perfect. About 20 years old now.

I was looking for options for a better system to install in my workshop that is not located at my home.

Todd Willhoit
04-02-2011, 6:52 PM
Dave,
As others have mentioned, the transmitter batteries last quite a while. Most manufacturers quote 3-5 years. Regardless, make sure the system is supervised, meaning that the controller monitors the transmitters for battery life and proper functionality. GE, Honeywell, DSC, and 2Gig have quality, fully wireless systems.

The one disadvantage of some fully wireless systems is the battery life of the control panel. Generally the battery should be able to support the panel for a minimum of 24 hours in standby and five minutes in alarm in the event of a power loss. Keeping the panel energized for five days is difficult if the only battery is the small pack that fits inside the panel. Alternatively, you could install a "wired" system without any wired devices. The enclosure is larger to allow for larger, or even multiple batteries. You could hook up a car battery and keep it alive for a month. Add a wireless receiver or a wired keypad that supports wireless devices and you are set. Also, a keypad that can support messages like "front door open" is much more informative than one that only indicates Z1 , Z2, etc..

Todd

Lee Koepke
04-02-2011, 9:04 PM
This is what I use .... :D

mickey cassiba
04-02-2011, 10:04 PM
This is what I use .... :D

Completely wireless, but lookin' a little wired at the same time. I like it!

Jim Becker
04-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I have a hardwired home system that works perfect. About 20 years old now.

I was looking for options for a better system to install in my workshop that is not located at my home.

There you go...in many cases, you can add wireless capability to an existing hard-wired system, but it's dependent on the system itself. Do note that alarm companies don't prefer to use wireless to span to separate buildings. Mine said they would do it, but they prefer to run wire between buildings and then install wireless components for that space.