PDA

View Full Version : Remapping Comcast DVR Remote buttons

Peter Stahl
01-27-2005, 10:45 AM
I was searching for some info on the Dual Tuner DVR cable box (Motorola 6412) I got from Comcast. Was trying to find out why when I turn the box on sometimes that there is no sound. Found out that if the box was off and it started a recording the box would mute the audio output. Later I noticed at the top of the screen I could just barely see the bottom of the word MUTE. Now being that the mute button on the remote only operates the mute button for my TV then the only way you can get the sound back without stopping the recording and turning the DVR off then back on is by reprogramming your remote for the mute control on your cable box. Came across a remapping procedure (see below) on a forum (avsforum in a discussion thread Comcast Motorola 6208 HD DVR Users Thread ) that had lot of good info on Motorola DVR’s. This worked great! There was also a discussion I came across for remapping a button for a 30 second skip (see below ). Never had a TiVO so I don’t know if their commercial skip works the same way or not. This was also a neat find. To remap your remote for a cable box Mute button use the procedure below except use code 00141. There are also other codes too on this forum and page (had to put full http: address didn’t know how to get to this page otherwise. XXX.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?cbl_0476 Cut/paste then replace the XXX with www) Unlike the procedure below I mapped my FAV button to the Cable box mute. I didn’t use the TV mute button because when I mute my TV it goes into closed caption mode which comes in handy when you can’t figure out what someone said. On the hifi-remote code page they have the codes as 3 digit numbers so I just added 2 zero’s to the front of the ones I used. Also if you turn the box on while it is recording, unmute it, after the recording is done it will shut the box off. I’m guessing that’s the way they programmed it, to shut it off if it had been before the recording started. Lots of other good stuff on the forums mentioned. Ken, I hope I didn't violate and rules by posting a full address above.

Pete

It is possible to remap any of the buttons on the silver remote that Comcast provides to the 30-second skip function. I mapped the FAV button on the remote to do the 30-second skip by following this procedure:

30-second skip

1) Press the "Cable" button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
2) Press and hold the "Setup" button until the "Cable" button blinks twice.
3) Type in the code 994. The "Cable" button will blink twice
4) Press (do not hold) the "Setup" button
5) Type in the code 00173.
6) Press whatever button you want to map the skip function to (FAV in my case).

That should be it.. so if you're like me and don't hate the silver comcast remote too much, this is a nice alternative to using a better remote like a Pronto.

Also, if you have a learning remote that you like better, just have it learn the skip function from the comcast remote after you do this.

Jim Becker
01-27-2005, 12:01 PM
I decided that having multiple remotes, including the Comcast remote, was a pain in the butt, so I bought a Pronto and custom programed the screens to handle the functions I wanted accessable. For some reason, all four of the remotes, including the Comcast, while "universal", had some limitation that kept them from working the way I wanted them to. (I got a great deal on the Pronto at ECOST.com, BTW, especially after the Ebates rebate)

I can't help you with the programming question...it's in a drawer somewhere!

Jim Becker
01-27-2005, 1:27 PM
Besides the price I wouldn't get the Pronto, my wife has enough trouble with the simple ones.
Cost is really the only real reason not to get the Pronto. ($216 at ECOST) The fact of the matter is, it's easier to use than the original remotes. I have two custom screens in play--turned off all the others. The first is the one that is used for almost everything relative to the LCD TV, DVD/Audio system and Cable Box. The second is purely for the cable box for those odd times that one need to access all the scheduling, etc...something we only use about once a month. The programming took me about a half hour as it's done on the PC visually...put the button on the screen, label it and "learn" the code direct from the original remote. I even programmed the "on/off" button to control the DVD/Audio and LCD TV simultaniously. If my parents can use this thing...ANYONE can!

Chris Padilla
01-27-2005, 7:57 PM
Hmm, I need a TRUE univ. remote very badly. Were you able to access "hidden" commands for any of your electronic boxes? For example, on my TV, one must SCROLL to change the input to the TV...EXTREMELY ANNOYING. I know my TV has "hidden" access such that you don't have to scroll through the inputs...just push a button for the input you want.

Jim Becker
01-27-2005, 8:40 PM
Yea, you pretty much can do that Chris. If you can "click" it, the Pronto can learn it. In fact, like most "universal" remotes, the presets for manufacturers, etc., are pretty lame. The "draw the button, label the button, click to learn" method is really quick and easy. Even I could make it work! And the fact that you can assign more than one command to your virtual button really comes in handy sometimes. For example, I used that feature to turn all the components on and off at the same time...they all use different codes since they are different manufacturers, but that didn't matter given that feature of the Pronto. There are better and more expensive ones out there, but the reviews were pretty good on it and I'm happy with it.

I do need to change the button graphics to make them a little more readable in low-light. Fancy isn't always the best when using a back-light...

John Motzi
01-27-2005, 8:44 PM
There are tons of downloadable remotes already programmed for Pronto & many many neat layouts for Pronto as well at remotecentral.com

JM