PDA

View Full Version : Another vacation question - Hoover Dam tour

Dave Bonde
03-25-2011, 9:27 PM
I have another vacation question. We are planning to visit the Hoover Dam on our Vegas/Grand Canyon vacation this summer. I see they offer a tour for $9.00/person and one for $30.00/person. Has anyone been on either of those tours?

Bruce Page
03-25-2011, 9:40 PM
I have been on the less expensive tour, I enjoyed it Immensely. If you enjoy technology, particularly how they managed to get these huge things done 80 years ago, you will enjoy it.

paul cottingham
03-25-2011, 11:06 PM
My wife and I went there in the late 90's. It was pretty cool, and I would go there again in a heartbeat.

Tim Boger
03-26-2011, 6:03 AM
I have been to the Dam and at the time chose not to take the tour, I regret that decision. If the technology holds any interest then I'll bet the $30 tour would be very interesting.

Matt Meiser
03-26-2011, 8:40 AM
We took the Dam Tour pre-9/11 and really liked it. I understand there's been some changes since. Last time we were out there we did the boat cruise on the lake which takes you right up to the back side of the dam too.

paul cottingham
03-26-2011, 11:07 AM
I forgot to mention that if you are claustrophobic, the tour may not be for you.

Scott T Smith
03-26-2011, 1:59 PM
I took the $30.00 tour several years ago; it was called the "hard hat tour" back then because they included a hard hat in with your purchase. It was definitely worth the $; we got to traipse all around the inside of the dam, into the generator rooms, down by the spillway, you name it.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Howard Garner
03-26-2011, 5:48 PM
I took the $30.00 tour several years ago; it was called the "hard hat tour" back then because they included a hard hat in with your purchase. It was definitely worth the $; we got to traipse all around the inside of the dam, into the generator rooms, down by the spillway, you name it.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

+1 on the Hard Hat Tour.

Howard Garner

Larry Frank
03-26-2011, 9:49 PM
I took a tour which started with a boat ride to the dam and later a tour of the actual dam. It was a lot of fun and seeing the dam from both the water and the road was great.

I would not mind going back to see the new bridge.

Greg Peterson
03-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Not to mention it is generally nice and cool inside the dam. Worth the money to get out of the heat.

Steve Griffin
03-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Another option, which doesn't cost much more than the tour is a helicopter tour. They take off from the Hacienda hotel which is only a couple miles from the dam.

You may also enjoy reading or watching documentary films about the Dam before the trip. We enjoyed one from netflix.

Here's a shot of how we visited the area last december.

-Steve

Jason Roehl
03-27-2011, 3:34 PM
I haven't been, but I would make sure you stop by the Dam gift shop and get some Dam souvenirs... :D

Joe Angrisani
03-28-2011, 9:08 AM
Wow. I avoid Vegas for about 5 years and they build a dam bridge. (How's that, Jason?)

Kevin W Johnson
03-28-2011, 8:38 PM
I was there in '98, and took the regular tour. I do regret not taking the hard hat tour. If you go, take the best tour they offer, you are sure to enjoy it.