PDA

View Full Version : Photos of a THING I made to hold blanks to chainsaw them.

Jack Gaskins
03-25-2011, 9:19 PM
I threw this together last week after I got home with my wood haul. It was cheap and easy. Just how I like it :D. It has worked out great. Just used some all thread and wing nuts to tighten down the 2x4 on to the log/blank. I mostly use it to cut corners off slabs. My bandsaw is not up to task making the blanks round and I must say this is a lot cheaper than a new bandsaw. And since I am cutting in my garage I just so happened to pick me up a used Makita electric chainsaw. STEALTH GLOAT :D. I would have to say that if you are currently looking for an electric chainsaw I would highly recommend the Makita.

Edit: forgot to mention that I made the THING long so that I can use the other end for logs or something.

Lee Koepke
03-25-2011, 9:30 PM
you think that shop vac's gonna pick up the chips from a CHAINSAW???? you are crazy !!!!!!!!

seriously ... looks like a good idea. You ( or me ) may be able to use the other end to chainsaw logs into blanks ???? maybe ???

Steve Kubien
03-25-2011, 9:45 PM
I can see the benefit of such a rig for thinner, less weighty blanks. I tend to trim most of my log blanks with the stock just sitting on a severly chewed up log-end and walking around to make each cut.

tom martin
03-25-2011, 10:19 PM
I agree Jack, I ended up buying the same saw last fall after a thread about electric chain saws on the creek. I love it!

Kelvin Burton
03-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Great idea, thanks for sharing! Would definitely help me until I can afford to buy a riser block for my bandsaw! Might even mean I don't have to.

Dan Forman
03-26-2011, 4:02 AM
That's a clever rig!

Dan

Terry Quiram
03-26-2011, 9:34 AM
Jack
Nice solution if you don't have a band saw. How about leaving the all thread off one end and using a bungee cord to secure. Might speed up the operation.

Jack Gaskins
03-26-2011, 9:43 AM
Jack
Nice solution if you don't have a band saw. How about leaving the all thread off one end and using a bungee cord to secure. Might speed up the operation.

Hi Terry, I used to all threads just to make sure I get good clamping pressure. When the chain goes through the wood it pulls on it a bit so the more clamping pressure the better. And it only takes a fews seconds to tighten the wings nuts.

Jack Gaskins
03-26-2011, 9:51 AM
Great idea, thanks for sharing! Would definitely help me until I can afford to buy a riser block for my bandsaw! Might even mean I don't have to.

Kelvin, I have th Grizzly G0555 with riser block and a good blade on it. Have never been able to get the machine to cut very well no matter how much I adjusted the coplaner and alligned the wheels and this and that and blah, blah. Even wathced videos on how to tune up your bandsaw and my machine just will not cut thick blanks. So after my last large wood haul I went on line to ebay and found a great Makita electric saw. I read lots of threads saying they were outstanding saws for the money and the one I bought was used but still in great shape. So I built this THING to hold the blanks while I chainsaw the corners and stuff. Works like a champ. I made it long in case I want to cut a log long ways off the ground. Normally I slab the logs while they are stacked on top of others like Steve above mentioned then take the slabs and slide them between the clamps and away I go.

Pierce Davidson
03-26-2011, 9:43 PM
Now that's using your ole noggin.

Michael Short
03-26-2011, 9:47 PM
Thanks for sharing such a great idea.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Looks like it works... can't ask for much more than that! Be safe with your chainsaw!