PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID help..

Jack Gaskins
03-25-2011, 9:09 PM
Anyone know what wood this may be? The color in this wood is awsome.

Steve Vaughan
03-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Whatever it is, it sure is purdy though. In one pic, it sort of looked like honey locust, then it looked like pecan. But it sure is nice.

David Warkentin
03-25-2011, 10:23 PM
The bottom row, left two pictures look like the pecan in my shop.

David E Keller
03-25-2011, 10:26 PM
You guys must have much prettier pecan than we have around here... All of it I've had a chance to turn has been pale and bland with very little heartwood.

David Warkentin
03-25-2011, 10:41 PM
And I tried to send you some...I'll have to get you some yet.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-26-2011, 1:44 AM
It is definitely Elm, not certain for the species, but Elm it is :-)).

Dan Forman
03-26-2011, 3:50 AM
Agree with Leo, looks like the Siberian elm I have. I like it a lot, though it smells rather unpleasant when wet.

Dan

Jack Gaskins
03-26-2011, 9:39 AM
Thanks Leo and Dan. Since new to turning I dont know my trees yet and when I saw the fella had these logs with the end grain looking so nice I about crapped my pants! Does most elm trees have this pattern of bark? Just asking so I know what to look for when someone has more free wood. Thanks again.

Dan Forman
03-26-2011, 4:15 PM
I go more by the reddish brown heartwood with thin light sapwood, and the smell. The bark around here often has a yellow colored algae growing on it.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Jack I go by several things to ID a log/tree/wood, overall look of a tree will often tell what tree it is, bark will add to that and with Elm the wood grain is a real clincher for the small zig-zag in the grain of the wood.

So here two out of three, bark and grain made the ID, the wood color helps also but it is very hard to go by just one thing, like only the bark as it is variable enough usually to prevent IDing, unless it is like White Birch.

It is a bit like your dog looking at you, he sees you and hears you, but he will still smell you to make sure it is you ;-))

I've been looking and IDing trees for 60 years and it is something I always was interested in to know, often enough I would take branches and leafs home to find out a tree I didn't know, still happens just less often now :-))

Dan Forman
03-28-2011, 3:30 AM
It is a bit like your dog looking at you, he sees you and hears you, but he will still smell you to make sure it is you ;-))

:D:D:D

Dan

Jeff Nicol
03-28-2011, 7:06 AM
I think Leo and Dan are on the money for Elm. In picture 2 you can see the "Zig Zag" pattern that Leo mentioned and the bark is a dead give away if you have seen any of the Elms. The color and small knots lead me to the Siberian elm also, but White Elm can look like that also, but I think the White or American elm smells a lot worse than the Siberian does, kind of like a cat box that needs cleaned!!

Nice rough outs and have fun,

Jeff