PDA

View Full Version : Totally Off Topic !!! Total Hip Replacement

Andrew Kertesz
03-25-2011, 7:47 PM
This is totally off topic. Just got home today from a total hip replacement. I'm not sure if the cure was worse than the symptom. Walking is a whole new experience. Has anybody else gone through this?

The surgery was only about an hour long, 3 hours in recovery, and a few days in the hospital. The incision is only about 4 inches long, closed with staples, and my thigh is about twice the size of normal. Definitely worse than everybody siad it was going to be

Mike Henderson
03-25-2011, 7:57 PM
I hope your recovery is rapid and not too painful.

My wife had both hips done -not at the same time - and she's quite happy. The recovery is not immediate and not easy but she says the final result is a lot better than the pain she had before.

Mike

Larry Frank
03-25-2011, 8:37 PM
I had one of mine done a number of years ago. Yes, it was kind of a pain with the recovery but the longer term was that it was well worth it. The first week or so may be tough but it is well worth it.

It was kind of funny looking back as it was almost impossible for me to put on my socks and shoes. I had to have my wife help. Thankfully, I did it in the summer and was able to go outside in the grass with a walker and no shoes.

I had it done when in my mid 40s and wore it out in 7 years and had to have it revised. The revision was a piece of cake compared to the original which did hurt quite a bit. They just went in a replaced the ball and socket parts. The first ones were zirconia ceramic ball and plastic socket. The one I have now is some type of super metal and it has been great.

Just a piece of advise, follow your doctors instructions for how much to do over the next couple of months. When I had mine revised, I was careful for 2 months and then was out side doing something I shouldn't have and it popped out. I can only tell you that it is something that you never want to do. Never, never, never......

Chris Kennedy
03-25-2011, 9:07 PM
I am on the observer side -- I have had several family members have them. My mother's cousin had both hips replaced in his 60's and within short order (a week?) he was walking with a cane. He took to riding a bike for therapy because it had no impact but used the hip. He has never looked back. My wife's grandmother had her hip replaced at 89. She had a different procedure. Around here, it is called the "jiffy hip" because it is minimally invasive but requires a certain type of surgical bed (it could only be done at a specific hospital in our area). She did really well with the replacement and is doing fantastic now a couple of years later. I won't lie -- she had complications but they were all related to the blood thinners (coumadin, sp?, aka warfarin aka rat poison) that were a bit touch and go. The "carpentry" aspect of the surgery went fine and once she recovered from the after effects of the blood thinners, it was a night and day difference.

Chris

Kent A Bathurst
03-26-2011, 6:55 AM
Starting year 6 of my new hip. Sorry to hear yours isn't too peachy yet.

My surgery went very smoothly - entertaining, actually, since they gave me a couple quarts of liquid Valium + an epidural, so I was conscious the whole time - the sounds + vibrations of the tools [saws, reamer, hammer] were really neat - asked the anesthesiologist if I could borrow them for my shop - he said "Hey!! - shut up - we're working here." Rehab is what it is....just takes some time. I could not possibly be any happier - the constant pain and discomfort of the worn-out parts were gone instantly.

I did talk to my Dad, though, shortly after the operation - told him if he had sprung for just a few more bucks on the heavy-duty model with the extended warranty, I wouldn't be in this situation. Reply: "The warranty ran out the day you turned 21. Deal with it."

EDIT: Oh - BTW- for a number of years, I travelled 45+ weeks per year. The new hip let me develop close, personal relationships with hundreds of nice TSA folks!! :D

Doug Shepard
03-26-2011, 7:57 AM
Been there - done that about 2 years ago. Busted my hip pretty badly and it was misdiagnosed for 3 weeks while I hobbled about in severe pain. Finally got it replaced once they figured out what the problem was. I've got a couple large pieces of titanium in me now that really light up an X-ray. Haven't tried any airline travel since the surgery but I imagine going through their metal detectors will be fun. The physical rehab is the only thing that's going to improve things for you and it's going to take you some time. Just go slow and steady and you'll get things back to normal. Good luck.

Tom Winship
03-26-2011, 9:15 AM
Had my left hip replaced a year ago yesterday. Recovery was smooth except I felt I stayed on a cane longer than I should. Maybe it was a pacifier. As someone said earlier, if I don't know which one I had done, just put my socks on, then I know. Also, as others said, do all the rehab they will let you.

Andrew Kertesz
03-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks for ALL the encouraging words! At this point there is no scheduled/planned therapy sessions. It is all on me and what I feel that I can do and tolerate. The original discussion was no driving for 3 weeks because it is my left hip, and return to work in 6 weeks. The scariest thing at this point is coming down the stairs, I just picture my leg giving out and taking a header all the way down. Going up hurts but is not scary. While the wife is supporting she is not going to be much help if I fall, she is 4' 10" @ 95 lbs, I'm 5' 11" @ 300 lbs. She wouldn't even cushion it if I fell.

Tom Hintz
03-26-2011, 12:35 PM
My friends Dad had a total hip replacement and it was rough for a week or so afterwords but then he started coming around quicker than I would have thought. Now a year out he is more active than he has been in 20 years and is happy that he had it done.
Hang in there. I hope that you too will put the worst part behind you very soon.

Kent A Bathurst
03-26-2011, 1:13 PM
...... scariest thing at this point is coming down the stairs, I just picture my leg giving out and taking a header all the way down........

They 'splained the correct method to you, right? One stair/step at a time, and the new hip's leg always stays straight - so it is the lead leg on the way down, and the trailing leg on the way up. All the muscle and exertion is on the old hip/leg. It is a lengthy trip, compared to before, but it's just a question of focus.........like running a TS.

Phil Thien
03-26-2011, 4:25 PM
Definitely worse than everybody siad it was going to be

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The doctors almost have to mislead people in order to get you to go for the surgery. Recovery is painful. It is temporary, and if you ignore the need for joint replacement for fear of the recovery, you'll be the lesser for it.

I have a friend that had BOTH knees replaced at the same time. When I saw him a week after the surgery, he was nearly in tears with the difficulty of the recovery. He said the doctors had lied to him.

Fast forward to a few months later and I saw him walking at the shopping mall. At a good clip. And he had lost weight. He was so thankful that he had those knees replaced.

Your mind likes to play tricks on you. You are now convinced that your mobility is gone, things won't improve. The truth is, if you follow the recommendations of the PT, you will improve each and every day, until you can't even remember the pain you are going through now. Just keep telling yourself you are improving each and every day.

Dave Lehnert
03-26-2011, 4:36 PM
My dad had his done back in the 70's. His turned out perfect. Did not have to walk with a cane or anything. The one thing he did was follow the Dr. exercise program to the letter.

David Helm
03-26-2011, 5:49 PM
My wife had hers done last Spring. It was done as an outpatient surgery. Brought her home at 8 the following morning. Full recovery takes time; like a year or better. Definitely get involved with a "good" physical therapist and do all the exercises recommended faithfully. She was riding bicycle 6 months after the surgery, but is still not 100 percent, though it is way way way way way better than before. Good luck and don't get discouraged.

David Helm
03-26-2011, 5:53 PM

This is the Xray from her new hip. Thought you'd like to see it.

ray hampton
03-26-2011, 6:19 PM
warm weather will be here soon and this will help you when you want to walk outside

Raymond Fries
03-26-2011, 10:07 PM
I have a friend at my day job that had a hip replacment and it is nice to see him not limping anymore. He got his done a few months back and told me he feels like a new man.

Hope you heal up soon!

Take Care...