PDA

View Full Version : Jet 18" Band Saw Model JWBS-18X-3 What does every one think of it?

keith ouellette
03-25-2011, 6:29 PM
This is also for sale in fort lauderdale and I could use a good band saw. I have an old grizzley 14" and could really use an up grade.

It looks in great condition. Is this a good saw for re sawing?

Van Huskey
03-25-2011, 6:44 PM
This is also for sale in fort lauderdale and I could use a good band saw. I have an old grizzley 14" and could really use an up grade.

It looks in great condition. Is this a good saw for re sawing?

That is the "new" model with the triangular frame, which fixes the significant problems of the previous square beamed saw. That one has the 3hp motor as well. This is a solid bandsaw and does a fine job of resawing and if indeed in excellent condition price would be my only concern.

Joseph Tarantino
03-25-2011, 8:54 PM
if you're getting it for a song, then proceed at your own risk. if you review the comparative tool tests done by periodicals like wood magazine, you'll notice that, particularly over the past five to six years, whenever a jet is included in the test, it is never rated as a top tool, even though it's price is at or near the highest price for all tools included in the test. IMHO, jet, and it's even pricier cousin powermatic, are trading on their past reputations. long on price, short on delivery and accordingly, a poor value.

so, if it's a great buy, it might be worth considering. if not, i'd suggest looking at a comparble grizzly product or the rikon 10-325. the rikon will resaw 13" and routinely gets rave reviews, as does rikon's technical and customer service. i believe the jet you're looking at maxes out at 12" resaw capacity. the rikon retails for $900 and, a couple of times a year, woodcraft takes $100 off the retail price ($800). i wouldn't be surprised if the jet under consideration is costlier. if so, why pay more and get less? based on my first hand experience with my one and only jet product, and their technical support, i will never buy another jet product.

Van Huskey
03-25-2011, 9:13 PM
if you're getting it for a song, then proceed at your own risk. if you review the comparative tool tests done by periodicals like wood magazine, you'll notice that, particularly over the past five to six years, whenever a jet is included in the test, it is never rated as a top tool, even though it's price is at or near the highest price for all tools included in the test. IMHO, jet, and it's even pricier cousin powermatic, are trading on their past reputations. long on price, short on delivery and accordingly, a poor value.

so, if it's a great buy, it might be worth considering. if not, i'd suggest looking at a comparble grizzly product or the rikon 10-325. the rikon will resaw 13" and routinely gets rave reviews, as does rikon's technical and customer service. i believe the jet you're looking at maxes out at 12" resaw capacity. the rikon retails for $900 and, a couple of times a year, woodcraft takes $100 off the retail price ($800). i wouldn't be surprised if the jet under consideration is costlier. if so, why pay more and get less? based on my first hand experience with my one and only jet product, and their technical support, i will never buy another jet product.

The Rikon is a valid comparison but the 18" Rikon makes a better comparison than the 14" saw, it can be had during the WC sales for $999.

Joseph's experience with Jet comes from the square spined 18" saw that pre-dated the saw under consideration, it was indeed was a poorly designed saw enough so that it was replaced by Jet for many of its original purchasers.

There are several members here that have the new Jet, you may want to PM Dan Hintz I am pretty sure he has one.

As for price if you shop that is about a $1450 shipped saw. That in mind $700 is about top dollar for what I would spend. Consider the Rikon 18" for around $1,100 new tax included and you can find plenty of old Delta 28-350 20" bandsaws around used for around 450-600 and spend a couple of hundred on Carter guides and have a really nice saw around the 700-800 mark, one I would much rather have than the Rikon, Jet or Grizzly (save their $2K+ saws).

keith ouellette
03-25-2011, 10:44 PM
I forgot to mention the price. It is $450. The person is getting rid of his whole shop. I guess I can't really go wrong at that price. It is described as being in excellent shape and the owner says he didn't really use it to much.

Thanks for pointing out the difference between the older and newer model. I saw some bad reviews on the jet 18" and didn't really pay attention to the model number. Now I know the one I'm looking at is the better one so I am relieved.

I just hope this one works out better than my last great purchase. That is if I get there before any one else does tomorrow morning.

Van Huskey
03-25-2011, 10:52 PM
I forgot to mention the price. It is $450. The person is getting rid of his whole shop. I guess I can't really go wrong at that price. It is described as being in excellent shape and the owner says he didn't really use it to much.

Thanks for pointing out the difference between the older and newer model. I saw some bad reviews on the jet 18" and didn't really pay attention to the model number. Now I know the one I'm looking at is the better one so I am relieved.

I just hope this one works out better than my last great purchase. That is if I get there before any one else does tomorrow morning.

Can't go wrong at the price. When you look at the saw make sure it has a triangular spine and the owner didn't just use the current model number by mistake...or on purpose.

Dave Lehnert
03-25-2011, 10:52 PM
For $450 you better get it tonight. (if in good shape)
As others have said. The poor reviews are for the older JET saw with square spine. The new JET saws are very solid.

keith ouellette
03-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Can't go wrong at the price. When you look at the saw make sure it has a triangular spine and the owner didn't just use the current model number by mistake...or on purpose.

For $450 you better get it tonight. (if in good shape)
As others have said. The poor reviews are for the older JET saw with square spine. The new JET saws are very solid.

What part is the spine so I know what to look for? Is that the back that connects the upper and lower wheel assemblies?

Van Huskey
03-26-2011, 12:54 AM
What part is the spine so I know what to look for? Is that the back that connects the upper and lower wheel assemblies?

Correct. Take a look at the second picture down in this link.

http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/whitepapers/710751b_whitepaper.pdf

keith ouellette
03-26-2011, 8:25 AM
Correct. Take a look at the second picture down in this link.

http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/whitepapers/710751b_whitepaper.pdf

thanks.
I am on my way now.

Joe Angrisani
03-26-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm thinking the multi-hour delay in following up means a saw is being moved.......

Van Huskey
03-26-2011, 1:57 PM
I'm thinking the multi-hour delay in following up means a saw is being moved.......

Or crying into a beer... :)

Joseph Tarantino
03-27-2011, 11:22 AM
FTR, @ $450, that would be hard to pass up, even though it is a jet. might even be approaching the vicinity of a great deal. downside, it's still part of the wmh tool group.