PDA

View Full Version : any one have an oscillating edge sander (Jet Model OES-80CS in particular)

keith ouellette
03-25-2011, 6:27 PM
My radial arm saw deal went bust and now I'm just dying to buy some machinery (even though I can't really afford it) .

There is one of these used in fort lauderdale for $450. Like new.

Any one have one and are they very useful? Sure looks pretty cool. Not even sure If I have the room.

Van Huskey
03-25-2011, 6:47 PM
My radial arm saw deal went bust and now I'm just dying to buy some machinery (even though I can't really afford it) .

There is one of these used in fort lauderdale for $450. Like new.

Any one have one and are they very useful? Sure looks pretty cool. Not even sure If I have the room.

Good tool and good price if in near new condition. They work well for the size and price. If I don't find a used Vega pretty soon that one is on my list to buy.

Someone bought one here about 4-6 weeks ago, you may search and hit them up for a review.

Cary Falk
03-25-2011, 6:49 PM
I have one and use it a lot. The only complaint about the Jet is the grind on the table is not very smooth. $450 seems like a fair price. I would jump on it. I paid $800 new for mine about a year ago during a Jet/Woodcraft sale.

Dave Zellers
03-25-2011, 8:37 PM
Someone bought one here about 4-6 weeks ago, you may search and hit them up for a review.

That might be me. I'm very happy with it. Yes, the table is ground flat but left with visible groves. I hit it with my 5" orbital and 400 grit and then waxed it and I don't see that as an issue. We are building a kitchen with ash and having an edge sander available is perfect for this wood since it is so brittle. It didn't take more than one or two passes to learn how to edge a piece using an even pressure and feed rate and produce a perfectly clean, smooth edge. I bought it new and consider it money well spent.

When I was asking my questions prior to purchase, a recurring theme from other edge sander owners was, "I use it much more than I ever thought I would". I've only had it for a short time and we are so busy with this kitchen, there is no time for anything outside of the task at hand but I've already had two cases where I have experienced that. Both simple things, but instead of having to get out the jig saw, round off a corner and then sand it smooth by hand, I just took the piece to to the edge sander and literally did both tasks in seconds.

I bought a half dozen different belts from Klingspore but I haven't used any of them yet- the 100 grit belt that comes with this machine is perfect for what we are doing. If you feel you have a need for it, I would get it. That's essentially half price.

Stephen Cherry
03-25-2011, 9:00 PM
I've got a vega. It's not a super heavy weight machine- the tables are not cast iron. But it's great for sanding table legs, etc. The oscilating feature is nice to have. Paid about 400 on fleabay.

Van Huskey
03-25-2011, 9:19 PM
I've got a vega. It's not a super heavy weight machine- the tables are not cast iron. But it's great for sanding table legs, etc. The oscilating feature is nice to have. Paid about 400 on fleabay.

You SUCK. That is on my wish list but just don't feel like paying over 2K for an edge sander...thus my fruitless thus far used search. The Vega is EXTREMELY well made in the US of A.