PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find wind chimes?

Jamie Bell
03-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Hello, again. A very popular gift in my area are wind chimes. Does anyone know where I can purchase wholesale wind chimes to personalize? Thanks a million!

Bruce Boone
03-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I haven't found a source to buy them, but I have made nice quality ones before. The trick is to hang them from a hole that's at the 1/4 or 1/3 point down the tube instead of at the end. This allows them to ring nicely. Just use lengths that are perfect increments of each other, for example one that's exactly 3/4 the length of the next, etc. They will be perfectly in tune and ringing nicely. Throw a nice wood or plastic top and clapper in there and maybe a fishing lure swivel that keeps the rope from tangling and you have some pretty high end wind chimes that are better than many that are out there. You would start with clear anodized aluminum tubes which are available at a variety of sources. They can be cut with a radial arm saw or chop saw with a carbide blade.

Bill Cunningham
03-26-2011, 3:06 PM
My wife knows where she can find them 'always'..
Tied in a big knot, and tossed into the back yard or garbage can.. Gad I hate those things.. They drive me nuts!! If I wanted to listen to something 'rattle' on all day with a big wind, I'd listen to my neighbor.:cool:

Robert Walters
03-27-2011, 2:01 AM
Tied in a big knot, and tossed into the back yard or garbage can.. Gad I hate those things.. They drive me nuts!! If I wanted to listen to something 'rattle' on all day with a big wind, I'd listen to my neighbor.:cool:

Bill,

Don't hold back, say how you REALLY feel! ;)

samson smith
07-08-2011, 8:41 AM
Hello, again. A very popular gift in my area are wind chimes. Does anyone know where I can purchase wholesale wind chimes to personalize? Thanks a million!

Wind chimes have become very popular because of their beauty and the wide variety of designs available, and online shopping makes it easy to purchase wind chimes wholesale and save a great deal of money in the process.

Mark Ross
07-08-2011, 9:24 AM

Ahh Bill,

You must not be familiar with these guys...

http://www.musicofspheres.com/chimetunings.html

I used to buy a new set for my ex every year to add to her collection. Pricey as all get out but perfectly tuned. My favorite was the Westminsters...on a side note, where I used to live, the homeowner's association eventually outlawed windchimes...some idiot had over 20 in his yard...I wonder who...lol...

Emma austin
07-08-2011, 12:48 PM
This must be an American thing, they aren't popular here at all. I don't understand them, I hate when things rattle in the wind, why on earth would you want to encourage it ??! But then I live in a windy city. *shrugs*

Chuck Stone
07-08-2011, 7:39 PM
I find the high pitched ones (as well as those rattle-y things) a bit un-nerving.
But well constructed chimes (tuning and hole placement are critical here) are
soothing. Especially the low pitched ones if you adjust them not to chime at
every breath of air that comes along. marc's link above will let you sample
the tunings. Check out something like the the Mongolian tuning for bass.
I could fall asleep to a gentle breeze coming in the bedroom window and
that sound ..

Kenneth Hertzog
07-08-2011, 8:02 PM
I agree with Bill
we had some that when the wind blu it sounds like the telephone
I think they broke in a hard wind :-)
but I will say this, I do a lot of engraving on the wind catcher for the local flower shop
and I don't have to listen to them and its profitable. I've even custom made some wind catchers
ken

Greg Bednar
07-08-2011, 8:22 PM

OK - I guess it's safe to say you can contact Bill for some wind chimes- he's just giving them away!! :-)

( Sorry Bill, I know I don't know you that well, but with an opening like that I just had to step through. )

Mike Null
07-09-2011, 7:19 AM
But they do sound better than lawn mowers.

Chuck Stone
07-09-2011, 6:50 PM
Lawn mower sound samples.. check out some of the bass sounds

http://www.ecowindchimes.com/Shop_Wind_Chimes_By_Sound_s/3.htm

Bill Cunningham
07-09-2011, 9:09 PM
OK - I guess it's safe to say you can contact Bill for some wind chimes- he's just giving them away!! :-)

( Sorry Bill, I know I don't know you that well, but with an opening like that I just had to step through. )

Nope got none ..threw them all away..ha,, and as for the tuned ones, hearing them ONCE every 12 hours might be OK.. And Mike, at least a lawn mower stops.. These things never shutup...

Mark Ross
07-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Nope got none ..threw them all away..ha,, and as for the tuned ones, hearing them ONCE every 12 hours might be OK.. And Mike, at least a lawn mower stops.. These things never shutup...

The music of the spheres chimes come with a "wind paddle", when you remove it, the chimes won't chime. I leave ours off most of the time. This way, when my 6 foot chimes are a chiming? Tornado or hurricane is emminent!

victoria stiles
08-05-2011, 12:02 AM
wind chimes have really become very popular because of their versatility, beauty and easy availability. you can buy these wind chimes from your nearest stores, but on line shopping will be the best idea for buying them. It will be much easier for you and you will get best deals.

victoria stiles
08-05-2011, 7:36 AM
Tied in a big knot, and tossed into the back yard or garbage can.. Gad I hate those things.. They drive me nuts!! If I wanted to listen to something 'rattle' on all day with a big wind, I'd listen to my neighbor.:cool:Do not get angry on the tinkling music of these wind chimes. just feel them and remember those beautiful moments u had ever spent with your wife. You will feel just out of the world. Musical tinkling generated by the wind chimes are not noise but it teaches us to love, forgive, and to stay calm.

Dan Hintz
08-05-2011, 7:54 AM
Do not get angry on the tinkling music of these wind chimes. just feel them and remember those beautiful moments u had ever spent with your wife. You will feel just out of the world. Musical tinkling generated by the wind chimes are not noise but it teaches us to love, forgive, and to stay calm.
When I'm trying to relax in peace and quiet, a tinkling wind chime will take me to the other side of rage, not stay calm... I'm not sure how that teaches me to love. And I won't forgive the person who hung it up.

Chuck Stone
08-05-2011, 4:41 PM
Dan. you're like me.. there are some sounds that just send me over the edge.
High pitched chimes are one of them, I don't find anything soothing about them.
Perhaps it is because I'm sensitive to pitch, and higher pitched chimes are
much more difficult to tune, so my ear is always hearing them out of tune
and it really really bugs me. Maybe that's why I like the lower pitched mellow
tubes.. there's usually fewer chimes, they're easier to tune, and since they're
much more expensive to make, the makers generally take the time to properly
tune them, paying particular attention to the harmonics of each note and being
certain that the overtones of each chime do not interfere with the others.
(low pitched chimes don't really take advantage of the fundamental notes,
instead they focus on the harmonics and combinations of overtones)

Two things that set my teeth on edge.. operatic sopranos duets and
two fire truck sirens approaching the same pitch. Come to think of it,
they sound very similar to me.

Greg Bednar
08-05-2011, 7:23 PM
Jamie - Did you ever find the wind chimes?

victoria stiles
08-05-2011, 11:29 PM
When I'm trying to relax in peace and quiet, a tinkling wind chime will take me to the other side of rage, not stay calm... I'm not sure how that teaches me to love. And I won't forgive the person who hung it up.Dan!!!!! I can understand that you don't like the sounds of wind chimes. But you can't denie the fact that the things we don't like always irritates us. May be you don't like them Thats why you don't want them around you. OK.. sometimes when you are sleeping they bothers you. But they are not bad always.

victoria stiles
08-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Dan. you're like me.. there are some sounds that just send me over the edge.
High pitched chimes are one of them, I don't find anything soothing about them.
Perhaps it is because I'm sensitive to pitch, and higher pitched chimes are
much more difficult to tune, so my ear is always hearing them out of tune
and it really really bugs me. Maybe that's why I like the lower pitched mellow
tubes.. there's usually fewer chimes, they're easier to tune, and since they're
much more expensive to make, the makers generally take the time to properly
tune them, paying particular attention to the harmonics of each note and being
certain that the overtones of each chime do not interfere with the others.
(low pitched chimes don't really take advantage of the fundamental notes,
instead they focus on the harmonics and combinations of overtones)

Two things that set my teeth on edge.. operatic sopranos duets and
two fire truck sirens approaching the same pitch. Come to think of it,
they sound very similar to me.if you can not stand the high pitches you can have small wind chimes. They look charming, even I am having the one with beautiful purple stone, with small glass pipes. I just love it. And its jingling music makes me feel amazing. Try it, I am sure you will love it. And these are good at home.

Dan Hintz
08-06-2011, 6:20 AM
Dan!!!!! I can understand that you don't like the sounds of wind chimes. But you can't denie the fact that the things we don't like always irritates us. May be you don't like them Thats why you don't want them around you. OK.. sometimes when you are sleeping they bothers you. But they are not bad always.
Don't put words in my mouth... I enjoy a well-prepared set of chimes, but they have to be in the right place at the right time. When I'm trying to relax and clear my mind, well, that is not one of those times.

Joe De Medeiros
08-06-2011, 12:53 PM
I know in some of the new sub-divisions they have city by-laws forbidding them, up here anyways.

Bill Cunningham
08-07-2011, 2:07 PM
I know in some of the new sub-divisions they have city by-laws forbidding them, up here anyways.

I don't think Innisfil has a 'chime' bylaw.. But they SHOULD.. ha One of the folks in one of the many, many, subdivision around here that have sprung up in the last couple of years just got fined for using a Chiminea fireplace during the recent fire ban. I'm sure they will fight it, it not an open fire. But they don't fine people in our town for those annoying wind chimes.. Darn , I'd rather listen to gunfire.. But, were not close enough to Toronto for that.:D

victoria stiles
08-08-2011, 5:21 AM
Don't put words in my mouth... I enjoy a well-prepared set of chimes, but they have to be in the right place at the right time. When I'm trying to relax and clear my mind, well, that is not one of those times.May be!!!!! It is good that you enjoy chimes. Somewhere you are right that they should be placed at the right place. where anyone who wants to enjoy them, can.......... And still they do not bother anyone, who do not like them.