PDA

View Full Version : Store front pricing

doug parker
03-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi, I have a friend interested in putting some of my items in his hair salon for sale. I will probrobly be going with items with local school logos. Say if an item costs me 10.00 and the recomended resale value is 30.00, what would a fair percentage be for the shop owner. We work out of our house and have little overhead and really do not desire to have a store front. Do many of you use an established shop to sell your items out of and if so what are your experiences with this both positive and negative. Thanks, Doug

Dee Gallo
03-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I used to sell art at a local gallery and they took 30% of the sale price. Some places will be happy with 15%. You need to work out a percentage that works for you or just sell the items outright to them and they can add their markup.

cheers, dee

doug parker
03-25-2011, 2:55 PM
Thanks, Dee that sounds like a good starting point. I originally thought about 20% or lower. Thanks again for the help! You are always so nice about replying!
Doug

Michael Hunter
03-25-2011, 4:41 PM
No wonder things are cheaper in the USA!
Our local "arty" shop demands a ***minimum*** markup of 100% (i.e. double the price they pay for it); for actual art or craft items, as opposed to trinkets, it is much more - 5 or 10 times what they paid. Better yet, for art they don't pay anything until the painting has been sold!

I do engraved frames for the local photo shop - they double my charge and add that to the retail price of the frame.

John Noell
03-25-2011, 5:10 PM
Not uncommon in the USA or Fiji. The boutiques that sell our jewelry often charge 500% of our price.

Joe Pelonio
03-25-2011, 8:50 PM
I have done consignment sales in an art gallery, and they took 45%. I have also done wholesale to stores where we agreed on prices on an individual store basis, usually 15-25% off my retail. They could then mark it up even more, if they wanted.

Chuck Stone
03-25-2011, 9:47 PM
Not uncommon in the USA or Fiji. The boutiques that sell our jewelry often charge 500% of our price.

Yesterday I saw a spool of figaro chain, sterling silver. $0.17/inch. I see 20 inch chains in the
stores for $80-100. $3-4 worth of chain, add a half a buck for a clasp.. nice work if you can
get it!

David Takes
03-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Doug,

You are going about your pricing totally backwards. You should calculate at what price YOU are willing to create and sell the items for, then offer that to the salon owner. The salon owner can sell them for whatever price he wants and make the profit that the market will bare. If he doesn't feel he can make a profit based on your offered pricing, the venture wasn't meant to be and you won't be producing products at a price that you regret every time you make them.

Bill Cunningham
03-26-2011, 3:21 PM
Hi, I have a friend interested in putting some of my items in his hair salon for sale. I will probrobly be going with items with local school logos.

Make sure you have 'permission' to use those logo's, on items you intend to sell. They belong to the schools.