PDA

View Full Version : Need to glue a Marble plaque to a mirror

David Dustin
03-25-2011, 11:31 AM
We have a Mirror that a client wants a piece of black marble mounted onto.

The black marble has an unfinished back (side that will face the mirror).
What would be a good adheasive to use to hold the marble to to the mirror?

Thanks,
David

Larry Bratton
03-25-2011, 12:07 PM
David:
I would suggest a two part epoxy or possibly a cyanoacrylate (super glue type). I bought some stuff not long ago called Rhino Glue. Man, that stuff is super glue on steroids. I even glued some aluminum window screens to aluminum window frames with it and they sure don't come out now. It will stick to most anything. Buy it online, just do a search.

Ron Hartl
03-25-2011, 12:13 PM
While I have never done this, I would try silicone. Works really good on glass, not sure on marble.

Belinda Barfield
03-26-2011, 9:54 AM
I would go with Ron's suggestion as the silicone works well for marble. I'm not sure about adhering to the slick surface of a mirror though, but you may have the same issue with epoxies as there is just nothing there for the adhesive to "grab". Avoid anything like Liquid Nails, or any adhesive containing petroleum as this will bleed into the marble and cause discoloration.

Mike Null
03-26-2011, 11:47 AM
There is an extremely strong mirror cement available at HD and Lowe's. I would use that.

Larry Bratton
03-26-2011, 2:35 PM
There is an extremely strong mirror cement available at HD and Lowe's. I would use that.

That mastic has to be used with mechanical fasteners. It is made to glue mirror from the back to sheetrock walls. I don't think I would risk it with marble attached to the slick front side of the mirror. Might work, but it might not and the marble would fall off. How about a stone adhesive that is made to glue stone to other polished stone?

Bill Cunningham
03-26-2011, 3:40 PM
As said by others, Silicone... I would use the clear GE aquarium silicone for anything that might expand at different rates at different temperatures. If the two pieces are firmly glued with epoxy or some other product with no 'give', one of them will eventually break, and it will probably be the mirror. I say the aquarium silicone, because its probably a better quality that the caulking type, and will grip to glass.. Hey it holds aquariums full of water together!

Larry Bratton
03-26-2011, 5:32 PM
As said by others, Silicone... I would use the clear GE aquarium silicone for anything that might expand at different rates at different temperatures. If the two pieces are firmly glued with epoxy or some other product with no 'give', one of them will eventually break, and it will probably be the mirror. I say the aquarium silicone, because its probably a better quality that the caulking type, and will grip to glass.. Hey it holds aquariums full of water together!

Agreed, sounds like the right answer. However, I thought most aquariums were acrylic and they use solvents to glue them.

Ben Cartwright
03-26-2011, 6:58 PM
The big aquariums are glass, dont ask me how I know ;-)

oscar martinez
03-26-2011, 7:54 PM
I Install counter tops I will suggest silicone aquarium type or kitchen type I use it for shower glass enclosures works well on glass marble or any other stone surface. Liquid nails with petroleum or oil base as mention by Belinda will bleed the oil contents on the stone leaving a darker surface were the glue was aplied. Epoxis are good for stone stone surface for glass works to, if the glass surface to be glue is etched first.

Michael Kowalczyk
03-26-2011, 9:56 PM
Go to a True Value hardware store and look for or ask for E6000 or E6100. You can't beat it. I researched it before I made several 1000 expanded PVC boards with Granite, Slate, Ceramic, Grout pucks, and other assorted stones. It takes some time to set but it is WELL WORTH IT. My customer called me a few weeks after they got their 1st batch and said that the pieces were falling off. I asked them to send me the pieces and I will look into it. A few hours later she calls me back and said she was sorry to bother me but it wasn't the glue letting go, it was the slate that the had chosen delaminating because the adhesive was so good that it held the parts on it even when being bent but the cheap slate couldn't handle it. So I strongly suggest it. One is self leveling and the other is called something else. I am at home now so I will check on Monday if you need more info.

GLENN BRADDY
03-27-2011, 1:49 PM
I work another job in the marine ind. And we use Sika. It's a urethane.. Fiberglas to work. Work to plastic. Sometimes depending on the application you have to add a primer. Also Bostic make another great product too.