PDA

View Full Version : Remnant(pierced bowl)

Johnny Taylor
03-25-2011, 9:23 AM
Another skeleton pierced turning. In the death of a star it sheds off the outer layers of itself in a supernova creating a nebula of filaments of gas and dust, in this case leaving a dark remnant behind.This started off as a 10" x 2" Ash blank, it was turned to a 2mm round bottomed bowl weighing 88 grams,after piercing it weighed just 28 grams. Finally after painting and lacquering it was back at a weighty 31.4 grams!(sorry for the metric-ness lol)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/remnantsmall008.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/remnantsmall009.jpg

Comments and critiques appreciated.

John W Dixon
03-25-2011, 9:37 AM
Wow that is really cool, nice job!

Jim Burr
03-25-2011, 9:38 AM
Just amazing Johnny!! You sure do have a steady hand!

Doug W Swanson
03-25-2011, 10:30 AM
That turned out very nice! It looks so fragile that I'd be afraid to handle it!

Dick Wilson
03-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Johnny, Beautiful piece. The piercing is extremely well done. I am particularly fascinated by the color change. I presume you use an airbrush. I have been doing some experimentation shooting paint with a Pausche and Createx and have found shooting paint is a universe apart from shooting dye.. What paint do you use? Any helpful tips on paint.....viscosity, brand, psi, etc????? Thanks

bob svoboda
03-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Now that is a piece of art! Nicely done.

Steve Schlumpf
03-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Johnny - love the imagination! Very nice use of color! The top down view does remind one of a nebula! Cool stuff!

Did a quick conversion and 31.4 g = 1.10760 oz..... so that sure is a lightweight!

Dan Forman
03-25-2011, 1:44 PM
Won't hold much, but a brilliant piece! You've got some imagination.

Dan

Johnny Taylor
03-25-2011, 3:12 PM
Thanks for the nice comments :)

......What paint do you use? Any helpful tips on paint.....viscosity, brand, psi, etc?????

Dick, I use high quality artists acrylics thinned down with water (they seem a lot better than those branded as 'craft' paints). Now this is a bit tricky to get right as there is a very fine line between too thick for the airbrush and too thin for the colour build sufficiently, I can't say I ever measure anything, you just get a feel for whats right, experimenting on finished timber will soon give you the idea :) As for psi I find 40 to work well with acrylics. HTH

Did a quick conversion and 31.4 g = 1.10760 oz.....

Thanks for the conversion Steve, sorry again for throwing my crazy European metric weights at you all, LOL!!

David E Keller
03-25-2011, 4:34 PM
Nice looking piece and technically quite impressive. It's hard to believe that thing is 10% paint by weight! Thanks for sharing.

Johnny Taylor
03-26-2011, 3:50 AM
It's hard to believe that thing is 10% paint by weight!

Thanks David, I hadn't thought of it like that, 90% wood, 10% acrylic!

John Keeton
03-26-2011, 7:46 AM
Another great piece, Johnny!! I love the imagery on this one.

The only paint I have sprayed with my airbrush was some black, and to me, I think the paint is much easier to control than is dye. I intend to do some more experimentation with it at some point. Your pieces are inspirational!

Johnny Taylor
03-27-2011, 5:14 PM
Thanks John, the paints are definitely worth pursuing,overlaying the colours is much easier than with dyes. I do like spirit based dyes too, some really good effects can be achieved using their tendency to 'melt' one another.

Jerry Rhoads
03-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Wonderfull piece Johnny, absolutley wonderfull!

Jerry