PDA

View Full Version : Plane Ol' Fun: Stanley No. 5

Mike Scoggins
01-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Here's the Stanley No. 5 that was in really bad shape as you can see from the before and after pics. The sole had deep pits in it. I have no idea how many hours I have in lapping the sole to remove the pits, but it was quite a workout. It was the very first rehab I've ever attempted. It's probably the most satisfying one I've done to date.

Mike

Mike Scoggins
01-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Here are more pics of the No. 5 "after."

Shawn Swafford
01-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Mike, you definitely brought that plane back from the grave. Good job!:)

Herb Blair
01-27-2005, 7:21 AM
Another fantastic job Mike!

Mike Keating
01-27-2005, 9:37 AM
Mike,

What did you use to remove the rust from the cap iron and cutter? I am in the process of bringing an old stanley 140 back from the grave and I am having a hard time.
Did you lap the sole with sandpaper and float glass?

MIke

Mike Scoggins
01-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Mike,

What did you use to remove the rust from the cap iron and cutter? I am in the process of bringing an old stanley 140 back from the grave and I am having a hard time.
Did you lap the sole with sandpaper and float glass?

MIke

I used electrolysis (which worked well) followed by a mild wire wheel (I know that's taboo to many, but I used it in this case; it's a user) and then polishing with a "wonder wheel" (I think it's a 3M product). I can't get the link I have regarding it to work this morning, but I think I found out about it at "Rarebear's" site, "Hand Planes 101."

Yes, I used sandpaper and float glass. On this No. 5 with the severe pitting I started at 60 grit and worked through 320.

Mike

Karl Laustrup
01-27-2005, 11:46 AM
C'mon Mike, you can level with us. That bright and shiny #5 in those pics is really a "new" one, right?;) :)

Just kidding. You have done some awesome work with that sweeeeeet piece of iron.:D

John Miliunas
01-27-2005, 1:15 PM
Wow, Mike...Fantastic job! Looks like it just came out of the factory.:) No, with work like that, I doubt you'll have a need for buying new ones!:) :cool:

Jim Young
01-27-2005, 1:47 PM
That looks great Mike, want to borrow my 5 1/2? Just make sure it looks like yours when you return it. :)

Mike Scoggins
01-27-2005, 3:05 PM
That looks great Mike, want to borrow my 5 1/2? Just make sure it looks like yours when you return it. :)

Sure Jim, send that 5-1/2 on over. When I return it, I'll make sure it looks just like mine. I get to decide when to return it, right? :D If not, then I at least get to decide if it is to look like mine in the "before" or "after" condition! :eek: :D Seems fair to me. :)

Mike

Keith Christopher
01-27-2005, 4:01 PM
beauty job !

Jerry Crawford
01-27-2005, 5:58 PM
Let me add my kudo's to the group. Very nice and satisfying job. I know how much work goes into something like this so I respect your effort.

Jerry Olexa
01-27-2005, 7:16 PM
Outstanding work.. Must be very satisfying! Love the pics

Mark Stutz
01-27-2005, 8:01 PM
Mike,
That looks fantastic. I'm assuming you removed what little jappanning was left after the rust removal by electrolysis. I agree that electrolysis is the way to go. Did you do anything to the bare metal other than protect it with wax, Boeshield, Topcote, etc? I'm also interested in what you did to the knob and tote to bring them back to life. Thanks.

Mark

Mike Scoggins
01-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Let me add my kudo's to the group. Very nice and satisfying job. I know how much work goes into something like this so I respect your effort.

Jerry,

Thanks so much. You're right...it does require effort, and it is satisfying. Thanks again.

Mike

Mike Scoggins
01-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Outstanding work.. Must be very satisfying! Love the pics

Thanks Jerry!

Mike

Mike Scoggins
01-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Mike,
That looks fantastic. I'm assuming you removed what little jappanning was left after the rust removal by electrolysis. I agree that electrolysis is the way to go. Did you do anything to the bare metal other than protect it with wax, Boeshield, Topcote, etc? I'm also interested in what you did to the knob and tote to bring them back to life. Thanks.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. I did remove all the japanning on this one.

I applied a heavy coat of Boeshield to the bare metal (and also to the repainted body on top of the paint) and let it set overnight and then buffed the next day. Living in such a high humidity area, I've had the best results with Boeshield on my table saw, jointer, etc. I put Boeshield on top of the paint just as a secondary measure against corrosion. I actually like the looks after buffing it. Seemed to have just the right sheen.

Regarding the knob and tote; it was simple. After a good cleaning with Simple Green/water, I used Formby's Furniture Refinisher. The varnish, shellac, or whatever the original coating was on this one wasn't that bad. The Formby's worked well (first time I've ever used it). It sort of redissolves the outer layer and smoothes out the finish. On this plane the original color of the rosewood tote and knob were very nice, and I'm really glad I didn't lose it.

Mike