PDA

View Full Version : NE plate - mystery wood

Kelvin Burton
03-24-2011, 9:45 PM
I turned this plate last week from wood I got at our club last year - off the back of a pickup after the club meeting. I don't remember whose and don't think I ever knew what the wood was, maybe Bradford Pear? It was very dry by the time I got around to turning it.

When I finally decided to not turn a foot or a flat spot on the base it was thicker than I would have preferred - I had left some to make sure it didn't end up a funnel once I cut off the tenon. I used some wooden beads for the feet and colored them black with a Sharpie.

Size: 9" x 4.5". Finish is Teak Oil and buffed, then waxed with Renaissance wax.

C&C welcome

David E Keller
03-24-2011, 10:08 PM
That's cool, Kelvin. I like the whimsy of the beaded feet. Great color and curl in the wood and a nice looking curve... What's not to like?

Jeff Myroup
03-24-2011, 11:05 PM
I like this one a lot, the beads work. Really nice plate

John Keeton
03-25-2011, 6:31 AM
Kelvin, nice work on this one, and the beads fit the piece very well. Sure looks like the grain of cherry, but may well be Bradford.

Jim Burr
03-25-2011, 7:33 AM
What a great wing Kelvin! You did a nice job of balancing the piece! I love the feet...what made you decide on them?

Michelle Rich
03-25-2011, 7:45 AM
I think the beads are a clever way to get this form up & off the table. Neat piece

Jeff Nicol
03-25-2011, 7:59 AM
Kelvin, I like it a bunch, the color is rich and the figure in the wood adds interest and flair. The NE is perfect and the little beaded fit is a nice touch, you did a great thing with your "Mystery Wood"!

Jeff

Brian Effinger
03-25-2011, 8:16 AM
Great piece, no matter what the wood.

John W Dixon
03-25-2011, 9:48 AM
That is really a pretty piece. Nice job.

bob svoboda
03-25-2011, 10:25 AM
I like that a lot, Kelvin. Great shape.

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Really a nice piece Kelvin. I do like the feet on this one.

Dan Forman
03-25-2011, 1:41 PM
Can't help with the id, but that's a sweet form, and the feet work well.

Dan

Paul Gilbert
03-25-2011, 1:57 PM
I believe the mystery wood to be mesquite.

Thomas Canfield
03-25-2011, 10:28 PM
I am pretty sure that the mystery wood is Bradford Pear off my truck, and I want it back. Nice job Kelvin. I also like the beads for feet to get it to sit and have the smooth bottom. I am taking some real mystery wood to the meeting tomorrow as my wife says that my wood pile needs to move (but definitey still looking for more). Glad to see that the wood got turned into something great.

mike ash
03-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Great job in creating a very attractive and balanced piece. I have been working on a bowl from Bradford Pear and I just checked to see if the wood appears similiar to yours......it does. I didn't take a picture because your's came out a lot better than mine is heading!

Kelvin Burton
03-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks Mike! I have another piece that I think I'll take to the club and offer back to Tom, since he says he wants this piece back! :-)

Thomas Canfield
03-26-2011, 9:24 PM
I don't think that Kelvin really offered to give it back, but he did an excellent job as visually comfirmed at meeting this morning. My wife saw the pictures of the 3 balls for feet and she was impressed and thought it made for an interesting look.

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2011, 9:45 PM
Really cool idea for the feet! Gives the bowl an entirely different look! Nice job keeping the bark on! The color and finish give it a really warm look!

Nice work Kelvin! Thanks for sharing!