PDA

View Full Version : New Pens to show

Lee Koepke
03-24-2011, 9:25 PM
Here are a couple of new pens I just finished. The first one is my favorite so far... its Cherry Burl on a Gatsby component set, really like the look of this.

This one is my very first fountain pen. Actually, to be honest, I have never even written with a fountain pen before. I used some heart pine I got from a house near my office, its at least 125 yrs old. VERY nice wood, hopefully I can get some more pieces as the house comes down.

John Keeton
03-24-2011, 9:28 PM
Nice work, Lee! That cherry burl is beautiful stuff.

Lee Koepke
03-24-2011, 9:45 PM
Nice work, Lee! That cherry burl is beautiful stuff.
Thanks ... a little secret ... that knot you see in the close-up, well that was a real hole that I filled! I used a couple of cherry shavings and a bit of coffee grounds, the combo worked out pretty good, IMO

David E Keller
03-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Nice work on both of them, Lee. The heart pine looks great, but that cherry burl is too much.

Jim Burr
03-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Ha!!! Great trick Lee! Great work sir!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Great looking pens Lee! I like that cherry burl!

Dan Forman
03-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Fine looking pens there! I hope you enjoy the fountain pen writing experience. I have been totally converted to FP's, only use a ball pen for carbon copies. If you want to learn about all things fountain, check out the fountain pen network. Word has it that the ink that comes with the kits can be problematic, but there are lots of great inks out there in a dizzying array of colors.

Dan

Les Elm
03-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Very nicely done Lee!
Great save of the nice piece of cherry burl.
What finish did you use?

Les

Lupe Duncan
03-25-2011, 1:19 AM
Great job Lee. Get yourself some private reserve or some noodlers.

Upgrade your Nib and Toss that kit ink....

Like Dan said dizzying amount of colors....... and smells.

Lee Koepke
03-25-2011, 8:36 AM
Thanks! I have had some people ask me to make them a fountain pen, but I would not do it until I knew a little more about them. I plan on taking this one apart ... doing some cleaning / tuning and making sure I know how they are supposed to work! Yes, I have been to the fountainpennetwork to look around ... that 'vortex' is scarier than turning itself !!!!

Les, I used a CA finish ... couple of coats of thin, 8 coats of medium, a couple of thick, followed by Ren Wax. I spent a little more time making sure I was sanding properly .... and now that I am better at sharpening my skew, its harder to find the fine shavings to fill holes with, curls just dont fit !!!!

John W Dixon
03-25-2011, 9:40 AM
That pine is nice with a great history but I love the look of cherry burl.