PDA

View Full Version : Newb Bench Vise Question

Noah Barfield
03-24-2011, 9:24 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking at building some variation of the $175 workbench project. I've ordered a large front vise from Lee Valley (free shipping was cool!).

What I'm wondering is if I order a second front vise, could I use it as a tail vise? I'd like to be able to use it in conjunction with some dogs in order to do surface planing.

I'm rather new to all of this, so I apologize in advance for my dumb question. :)

Noah

Prashun Patel
03-24-2011, 9:31 PM
If by tail vise you really mean end vise, then yes, you can use the large front vise from LV for this. I'm doing this now in fact.

Noah Barfield
03-24-2011, 9:35 PM
Yes, sorry, I meant end vise. Thanks!

Noah Barfield
03-25-2011, 1:32 PM
If by tail vise you really mean end vise, then yes, you can use the large front vise from LV for this. I'm doing this now in fact.

If you have a picture of your set up, I would love to see it.

Prashun Patel
03-25-2011, 2:15 PM
I'm building it now. I'm half way through the glue up of the top. I'm planning to make an end cap which will serve as the rear jaw. The end cap will have a dado which will be fitted into a tenon cut on the ends of the bench. I'll bolt the endcap with oversized holes in the rear jaw. LV told me this was the way to do it.

Jay Maiers
03-25-2011, 2:25 PM
Here's a thread that might help.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?57879-The-quot-Next-quot-Workbench-Part-1&highlight=bench+vise

I copied a number of ideas from this thread (and Glenn in general).

glenn bradley
03-25-2011, 3:06 PM
Here's a thread that might help.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=bench+vise

Hey, that's me!?! Yes, I also have been using the same vise model for front and end for years.

Noah Barfield
03-25-2011, 5:00 PM
Hey, that's me!?! Yes, I also have been using the same vise model for front and end for years.

Glen: Thank you and two quick questions:

1) I read through your thread on making the top--great approach! You used the expression BLO throughout the thread. What does BLO mean?
2) In your thread, you reference another thread about making the base. Do you have a link for that?

Noah

Mike Schuch
03-28-2011, 4:56 PM
Glen: Thank you and two quick questions:

1) I read through your thread on making the top--great approach! You used the expression BLO throughout the thread. What does BLO mean?
2) In your thread, you reference another thread about making the base. Do you have a link for that?

Noah

BLO = Boiled Linseed Oil