PDA

View Full Version : Plane Ol' Fun

Mike Scoggins
01-26-2005, 11:05 PM
I started monitoring this Neander Forum some time ago and began to get the itch to experiment with hand planes to see what all the fuss was about. I deliberately chose to go the used route, as opposed to new (at least initially), to hopefully maximize my learning. I bought several users/fixer-uppers off of a well-known auction site over the last few months. Some were in worse shape than others. My very first hand plane acquisition, a Stanley No. 5, has proven to be the one in the worst condition (thus far, anyway). Below are some pics of the plane collection at the moment. I'll also post some before and after pics of select planes from this bunch.

I'd like to say "Thank You" to many of you on this forum. I've learned a great deal from many of you on this forum specifically, as well as the many linked and referenced web sites. Your free sharing of information provided the impetus for me to try my hand at fettling some old planes, lapping the soles, using electrolysis to remove the rust, etc. I have enjoyed, and am enjoying, the process and the continued learning along the way.

Thanks for looking,
Mike

John Miliunas
01-26-2005, 11:10 PM
OK, so I'm not a seasoned Neander veteran but, I still think it looks like you've got a mighty fine collection going there, Mike!:) I went the "buy new" route, but you're inspiring me to maybe go find a few "users" and make them road worthy. Nice job!:) :cool:

Mike Scoggins
01-27-2005, 8:30 AM
OK, so I'm not a seasoned Neander veteran but, I still think it looks like you've got a mighty fine collection going there, Mike!:) I went the "buy new" route, but you're inspiring me to maybe go find a few "users" and make them road worthy. Nice job!:) :cool:

John,

Go for it! I think you'll actually enjoy the process. :eek:

Regarding the collection...well I've watched your's growing (is this an addiction? :D ) and must say I've had to guard against coveting. ;) You've got some great planes along with a very nice bench. I'll probably pick up some new planes as well, but I will attempt to be very selective in that process. Thanks for sharing your insights on those you've acquired.

Mike

Mark Singer
01-27-2005, 9:34 AM
They are looking nice! You have done a nice job restoring them.

Mike Scoggins
01-27-2005, 10:47 AM
They are looking nice! You have done a nice job restoring them.

Thanks, Mark! They pale compared to your fine collection, but I hope to be using them to make my work better (and more fun).

Mike

Tim Leo
01-27-2005, 7:04 PM
Does electrolysis remove the nickel plating from the blade cap? I've been checking out your photos, and it looks like the nickel plating is removed. I like the look, but can't figure out how it was done.

thanks,
tim

Mike Scoggins
01-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Does electrolysis remove the nickel plating from the blade cap? I've been checking out your photos, and it looks like the nickel plating is removed. I like the look, but can't figure out how it was done.

thanks,
tim

Tim,

I did not use electrolysis on any of the nickel plated lever caps. Neither of them needed it. I'm no expert on electrolysis, so I'm not sure I can answer your question. If I had to guess, I would think that eletrolysis would loosen the nickel coating, if not completely remove it. Someone with more knowledge/experience please chime in here. The three lever caps without the nickel coating never had it. I just buffed them following electrolysis.

Mike