PDA

View Full Version : another spindle adapter

Pat Salter
01-26-2005, 11:03 PM
I caught Tom P.'s post about needing a spindle adapter. I have a similar situation, differant threads. I have an old Yates American with 1 1/8th X 8 TPI that I would like to get adapted to 1 X 8. I've tried all the vendors I can find but none seem to have this. I would even like to find a faceplate that would fit this because a local machine shop said they would be able to make one for about $50 bucks but they would like to have something to match up with. My lathe is about 600 lbs, a bit much to take in.

Anyone know where I can find an adapter that will fit? or even a faceplate or anything else that would fit? :D

thomas prevost
01-27-2005, 9:31 AM
Give Best Wood Tools a call 931-788-0429. The person I talked with noted they have either machine shop capabilities or access to one. They were super helpful over the phone.

For faceplates, Grizzly, among others, sell faceplates with separate adapters, perhaps just machining the adapter for the plate would be a cheaper way to go.

Jim Becker
01-27-2005, 9:32 AM
Pat, Bestwood Tools, that I referred Tom to, can make up that combination for you.

http://www.store.yahoo.com/bestwoodtools/precspinad.html

thomas prevost
01-27-2005, 9:48 AM
An after thought. Be sure it is 8tpi and not 12tpi. I have seen 1 1/8 by 12tpi face plates on ebay in the past but no 1 1/8 x 8. Unfortuneatly, as I needed 1 x12 I did not read to see what lathe they were for.

Carl Eyman
01-27-2005, 12:56 PM
I think I know why your machine shop wanrs the sample.I've made two face plate adapters and I've needed a male thread to try in the female piece I am cutting to see when it fits. Could you go to the hardware store and get a 1 1/8 - 8 bolt for them to use?

Kurt Aebi
01-27-2005, 1:19 PM
Carl is right about them requiring the test piece. They are probably machining the threads rather than drilling & using a tap. I know it is much less expensive to machine th e threads when you get up to that size than the cost of the tap. (A tap that size would be between $75-$100 and the tap drill would be another $25-$50 - so you can easily see why they would charge a high price if they went that route)

A bolt from the hardware store should work nicely for their purposes. If you have any other attachemnts already for your lathe, you can test the bolt before youtake it to the machinist.

Bill Grumbine
01-27-2005, 1:19 PM
Pat, this might sound like blasphemy to some, but why not remove the spindle and have it turned down to 1" x 8 tpi? That lathe was made when most of the things that we screw onto the end were not even thought of yet, much less in use. Not only would this make it a bit easier to accessorize it, but if you ever want to upgrade, it would be easier to sell.

Just a thought.

Bill

Carl Eyman
01-27-2005, 2:08 PM
Maybe the machine shop could machine a piece that fits the Morse taper in the headstock and has the right threads and a shoulder I could almost do that and I'm less of a machinist than I am a cabinetmaker.

Bill: would there be enough meat left on the spindle after turning off the 1 1/8 threads to cut 1" threads? I don't have a table showing major and minor diameters here at home. The other problem I'd have with that is I don't think I could cut threads right up to a shoulder, but a real machinist might well be able to.

Pat Salter
01-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Ok, first of all, thanks to all for their sugguestions/info/ideas.

Jim and Tom, I checked the list from Bestwoods website and what I need isn't listed. I'll call them tomorrow and check them out somemore, and yeah, Tom, it's 8 TPI :mad:

Carl, you got it, they wanted something to match it with because they were going to machine it. They didn't have access to a tap of that size. it's not listed in any of their catalogs. It's such an odd size that you can't buy a bolt/nut with those threads, let alone a Tap or Die. Karl hit that one on the money. And that's my big problem, I don't have anything that matches, no faceplates, chucks or whatever. If I did I probably wouldn't have a problem. This is the main reason I'm doing this.

Bill, I'm not sure about blasphemy, but my first thought when I read your idea was, "what are you nuts?" :eek: This is one very old machine and I'm not sure I could do it without ruining the bearings or whatever. The more I thought about it....well, ok, maybe as a last resort :rolleyes: I think I would want to go with Carl's last Idea first though.

well, much to think about, Thanks again, all. I'll let you know what happens.

Jim Becker
01-28-2005, 8:33 AM
Jim and Tom, I checked the list from Bestwoods website and what I need isn't listed. I'll call them tomorrow and check them out somemore, and yeah, Tom, it's 8 TPI
That's true...but there is also a note on that page that indicates they can make up what you need. Call Victor to get the details.

Pat Salter
01-29-2005, 12:18 AM
ok, Bestwood can make it up. their normal price for these is 59 bucks but the special order (like mine :rolleyes: of course) are $75. Still, not a bad price considering.