PDA

View Full Version : The Jet has landed!!!!!

John Keeton
03-24-2011, 4:30 PM
First off, I accept no personal responsibility for this!! There are a number of folks with varying degrees of culpability that should, and do, carry the blame. The list is quite long, but I would be remiss if I didn't single out Steve Schlumpf - the most culpable of the bunch! While seeming to answer my questions in the kind and considerate manner we all expect from him, he "salts" his answers with subliminal messages that induce irrational behavior from otherwise sane folks. He knows what he has done - and, I can hear him chuckling from here!!

I should thank Brian Effinger (one of the bunch that early on shoved me deeper into the vortex!) Brian, being the astute individual he is, saw the Classified ad when I sold some chucks over the last couple of days and put it all together. But, he was bribed into secrecy!:cool:

Without doubt, Sean Ackerman at ToolNut bears a good bit of blame, as well. He had all my information from the Delta purchase, and made this purchase as easy as "Sean, send me one of those Jets" His response - "John, I have all the information I need - it is on the way!" That was Sunday afternoon, and here it is!

My beloved Delta, now on the "sale" block, has served me so well, and really did all that I needed it to do. I will miss it. However, bigger, better, etc. has overcome good sense.

All I ever really wanted to do was turn table legs!!!:confused: And, now this!!:o

Let the ribbing begin! I will be in the shop - I have work to do!!;):D

David DeCristoforo
03-24-2011, 4:32 PM
Sweet. But you might as well keep the Delta too. Give you even more of an excuse to have all those chucks!

Roger Chandler
03-24-2011, 4:38 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, bla, bla, bla...............John had a secret case of "lathe envy" :eek: which he has been itching to scratch for quite some time now, even though on the surface he was in total denial..........:D:D:D.........who could not have seen this one coming from a mile away? :rolleyes:

John, in this case bigger is better, :rolleyes:and you will find that your turning fun will increase by the size of your lathe!!! ;):D:D:p:p:p

Great choice on that Jet 2 hp. machine.........should have enough torque to enable you to core or just get that big blank and make something wall size!

bob svoboda
03-24-2011, 4:42 PM
Good sense is highly overrated. Congratulations, John. Now go get that shop dirty!

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2011, 4:45 PM
I can hear him chuckling from here!!

Ah... Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

and of course... Ha!

Very happy to see it arrived on schedule! Watch your back while putting this thing together! Looking forward to seeing the photos!

You are going to love it!!!

Tim Rinehart
03-24-2011, 4:45 PM
Oh my...me thinks the creative juices will be yielding something 'big' in the coming weeks!!
Great choice on upgrade, you won't be sorry with this one. You'll look back and wonder how you did without that extra mass all along.
Like others...can't wait to see what you do with this new upgrade!
Congrats, JK!!

Jon Prouty
03-24-2011, 4:49 PM
I believe the word is "inevitable". Congrats on the new late - we are all looking forward to the pics of it up and running as well as your review of this lathe compared to the Delta. Us Delta Forcers are going to miss having you as role model.

I'll put in my 2 cents that this lathe will last three years before we hear about the "Oneway" landing... :)

Cheers and happy turning!
Jon

Dick Wilson
03-24-2011, 4:52 PM
John, May I offer you some cheese with your whine?:D:D:D. All I know is the "bunch" better stay away from me.:rolleyes::rolleyes:. My Jet 14-42 will soon need new parts (again) to get it back up to snuff. As much as I would love a 16-42 it is not in the cards.

Roger Chandler
03-24-2011, 4:52 PM
I'll put in my 2 cents that this lathe will last three years before we hear about the "Oneway" landing... :)
Jon

Or the American Beauty by Robust!!!

John Beaver
03-24-2011, 4:54 PM
Oh my my my... No tree is safe now.
I know we're all gonna be excited to see what you turn out with your new toy. Just remember everybody, It's the Indian, not the arrow.
Congrats John

Dale Miner
03-24-2011, 5:09 PM
"subliminal messages that induce irrational behavior from otherwise sane folks"

Otherwise sane folks? Pah! Don't believe it for a minute. Perhaps an aquired acceptable behavior pattern from the need to interact with society, but sane folks?

Congrats on the White John, Good going Steve.

John, you are going to love that machine.

Brian Effinger
03-24-2011, 5:09 PM
First off, I accept no personal responsibility for this!! There are a number of folks with varying degrees of culpability that should, and do, carry the blame.
Whoa, hey there buddy, we gave you a gentle little push. :rolleyes: You were the one who swam out to deeper waters, only to get sucked down to the depths of the vortex. :D

I should thank Brian Effinger (one of the bunch that early on shoved me deeper into the vortex!) Brian, being the astute individual he is, saw the Classified ad when I sold some chucks over the last couple of days and put it all together. But, he was bribed into secrecy!
So, I should be expecting the bribe in the mail any day now, right? :D

Without doubt, Sean Ackerman at ToolNut bears a good bit of blame, as well.
That guy is just an evil enabler :D

My beloved Delta, now on the "sale" block, has served me so well, and really did all that I needed it to do. I will miss it. However, bigger, better, etc. has overcome good sense.
Say it ain't so, Joe. I mean John. :D

All I ever really wanted to do was turn table legs!!! And, now this!!

Let the ribbing begin! I will be in the shop - I have work to do!!
Bwaa hahahahahahaha! :D :D :D "Table legs" Hahahahahaha :D :D :D

Sweet. But you might as well keep the Delta too. Give you even more of an excuse to have all those chucks!
I tried to get him to keep it, but to no avail. :(

Ah... Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

and of course... Ha!
I don't think I could have said it any better myself, Steve, and I completely agree with your assessment of the situation. :D

Just remember John - we are all laughing with you! :D Congratulations on the new baby. Now get it assembled so we can see pics of the lathe, and not the empty box, Sean sent you. :p

Jon Prouty
03-24-2011, 5:10 PM
Or the American Beauty by Robust!!!

(shhhh.... I want to buy John's Oneway when he gets his Robust. :) )

Fred Perreault
03-24-2011, 5:19 PM
John..... great choice. isn't it terrific to be supported by wonderful women ??

Cathy Schaewe
03-24-2011, 5:19 PM
Ha! when I got my Jet, I told you that you needed one .... but nooooo, you said, the Delta suits my needs just fine.
Ha! toldja so!:D
You will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

And I thought I was going to sell my Delta too. Ha. It's still down there, and still gets used.

I'm going to be chuckling for a while here - ;)

Russell Eaton
03-24-2011, 5:32 PM
I love my 1642 and you are only making 1 mistake..... keep the Delta. You can always use 2. Sometims I have different pieces on all 3 lathes for the same projest. Congratulations on the new Jet.

gary Zimmel
03-24-2011, 6:26 PM
We all knew it was only a matter of time.... Congrats John!

Nate Davey
03-24-2011, 6:35 PM
Great choice John, I think you are going to like it.

Jim Burr
03-24-2011, 7:03 PM
I am green with envy for 3 more months!! I look forward to breaking them in together!! I second Russell's thought..the 1014 will keep it's place on the bench.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2011, 7:14 PM
Did he ever turn those table legs?.................Let's see.....first a HF lathe..........then a Delta.......now a Jet........eventually he'll discover a Robust solution!

Congrats John! You've come a long way!

David Warkentin
03-24-2011, 7:16 PM
Coooll!!!!

Tony De Masi
03-24-2011, 7:20 PM
The only surprise John is that it took you so long. Congrats, may it serve you well. Until you upgrade again of course. AND, did you every turn those legs?

David DeCristoforo
03-24-2011, 7:28 PM
OK... it's been hours since this was posted and all we have seen so far is a box. Hummm....

Bill Bulloch
03-24-2011, 7:43 PM
Good for you -- you'll enjoy that bigger, stronger machine. But, why get rid of the 46-460. I moved up to the Delta 46-755X (a 1642 size, 2 HP lathe) and kept my 46-460. I use them both just about everyday. I'll have something (usually a segmented piece drying) on the big lathe and be turning something on the little one. It never entered my mine to SELL the little bugger.

Baxter Smith
03-24-2011, 7:44 PM
Congrats John! I knew something was up when you offered only the G-3's that didn't take the inserts. You are going to enjoy the new capabilities and your satisfaction with this one should last at least as long as it did with the Delta.;) Glad you don't go through women the way you go through lathes!:)

Brian Effinger
03-24-2011, 7:55 PM
Did he ever turn those table legs?.................Let's see.....first a HF lathe..........then a Delta.......now a Jet........eventually he'll discover a Robust solution!

Congrats John! You've come a long way!

Yeah, where are those legs? I don't think we ever saw them. The phantom legs. :D

Rich Aldrich
03-24-2011, 7:57 PM
John - Congrats. The Jet is a nice machine. I really like mine, and if I remember correctly, Steve Schlumpf had some influence on my purchase as well. Now I am working on my skills - hopefully the lathe wont get impatient waiting.

Jon Nuckles
03-24-2011, 8:06 PM
I'm buying stock in African Blackwood distributors. With a lathe that size, the pedestals and finials John K. will make are going to drive the price of wood through the roof! Congrats.

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2011, 8:16 PM
Well I would say Congrats John and I am happy for ya and all that.

BUT I have a emergency call into Mike Smith for all the Claro Walnut he has and any other wood I can get my hands on before you get that lathe set up.:eek::rolleyes:;)

Dan Forman
03-24-2011, 8:17 PM
Congrat's on your new lathe, but I agree with some of the others and suggest that you hang on to the little fellow.

Dan

David E Keller
03-24-2011, 8:23 PM
Congrats on the new arrival! As nice a lathe as the Delta is, you're really gonna appreciate the mass and power of a bigger lathe. I'm with the others on hanging on to the little one... It'll be useful for you and a less intimidating machine for the grandkids when you teach them to turn.

Darren Jamieson
03-24-2011, 8:34 PM
congrates on the new lathe, I am so jealous that I think I am going to get something or do something nice for my wife so she lets me get one to. I personaly would save the second lathe as a designated buffing lathe. Then you need another one just for helping with segmented stuff and then a mini for pens, Sorry got carried away but you get the idea. Can't wait to see it assembled and see the first peice.

John Keeton
03-24-2011, 8:44 PM
You guys are a suspicious lot!!!! Accusations of an empty box, no table legs.......

Well, here she is, under power, dead level, point to point, ways waxed, and ready for shavings! And, if you will look back at the pic of the box, there are some big ol' chunks of spalted Ambrosia I picked up on the way home from work a couple weeks ago - I think they will just about fit with a little trimming!!

And, for the rest of you skeptics - here are the infamous table legs (and table) - my first turning project in October 2009 on the HF 34706. A few thousand dollars later, and a lot of Claro walnut, and I haven't turned a table leg since! Of course, I haven't built any furniture either!!:o

I have a lot of "walking around" room in my shop, and I would find it very hard to sacrifice that to keep the Delta. And, I realize that it might be nice at times to have two lathes, but the space is very important to me. When I finally am able to admit that I no longer need many of the tools in my shop, then perhaps I will reconsider a second lathe!:D

Roger Chandler
03-24-2011, 8:49 PM
Ain't she purdy!!! :D

David DeCristoforo
03-24-2011, 8:53 PM
Aw right, aw right. There was a lathe in the box. But it's so clean...

Nate Davey
03-24-2011, 8:56 PM
I was about to say, the one at Woodcraft isn't even that clean. Sure it was only the ways you waxed John???

Fred Belknap
03-24-2011, 9:03 PM
John congratulations I know you are going to enjoy the new lathe. Looks like you are going to set it up to work from both sides. I did my latest lathe that way and it gets used more than I thought.:)

Curt Stivison
03-24-2011, 9:08 PM
Nice looking lathe John. As the song goes, I can see clearly now.

Curt

John Keeton
03-24-2011, 9:09 PM
Fred, I had my Delta so that I could work from the other side, too. Don't do it often, but when you need to it sure is nice to have the space. It is also easier for me to get the place cleaned up - these guys would stroke out if I showed pics of a dirty shop!

Curt, in your own little way, you helped make it all possible by buying those chucks!

Greg Just
03-24-2011, 9:09 PM
Congratulations - Mine is due to arrive tomorrow except that I got the little brother with the 1.5 horse. Getting 220 into my shop would cost more than the lathe.

Donny Lawson
03-24-2011, 9:10 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. Now that you have 2 of them means twice as many turnings and twice as many posts so you have to work twice as hard and twice as long and get twice as many chucks plus twice as many tools. This could go on and on. I'm glad I only have one lathe. LOL

charlie knighton
03-24-2011, 9:12 PM
congratulations, enjoy

John Keeton
03-24-2011, 9:14 PM
Greg, I was thinking about you when this one came in. They ship from TN, and could have actually delivered mine yesterday, but I couldn't meet the truck. ToolNut does delivery to your residence, but it came on an 18 wheeler. No way can an 18 wheeler make it to my house!!

I unloaded this one and put it together by myself, with the exception of Ms. Keeton holding one of the legs upright for me. If you don't have a shop crane, you better have some help!! Heavy stuff!

Harry Robinette
03-24-2011, 9:28 PM
John
OK,New lathe,no legs,blame everyone else and make all kinds of excuses. Yea when you got into the Vortex, YOU JUMPED WITH BOTH FEET.I know I have 7 lathes.
But all joking aside I am a firm believer that you should keep the mini I use mine all the time.You especially should do this do to the number of hollow forms you do.I'll have a hollow form on the big lathe and can make a collar or top for it on the mini, glue it to the hollow form finish cutting the collar to the form,no dismounting and remounting the form it's never needs trued up.

Nate Davey
03-24-2011, 9:28 PM
I assembled mine upside down. Used the cardboard box to protect the ways, then flipped over once the legs were on.

Roger Chandler
03-24-2011, 9:42 PM
John, will you have to get new inserts for your chucks for this lathe? BTW, Woodcraft just put the SuperNova2's back on sale for $139.99, I got my flyer today.

Never mind.......I went back and saw Baxter's post about the G-3's not having inserts..........the SuperNova2's are looking pretty good right now!

Bob Bergstrom
03-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm really surprised you lasted this long. You should be commended for resisting the vortex as long as you did. Now let's talk about coring some of those walnut blanks.:D

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2011, 10:18 PM
John - the lathe sure is white! I don't remember mine being that bright either! Must be the good lighting!

Looking forward to hearing how you like using it! You are in for a treat! Have fun! Looking forward to seeing more photo!

John Keeton
03-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Roger, I found a couple of deals on CL and ended up with four new chucks, and kept one of the G3 - total of five!

Harry, I find it very easy to multi task with several chucks - turning collars, etc. and never unchuck a piece.

Greg Just
03-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Greg, I was thinking about you when this one came in. They ship from TN, and could have actually delivered mine yesterday, but I couldn't meet the truck. ToolNut does delivery to your residence, but it came on an 18 wheeler. No way can an 18 wheeler make it to my house!!

I unloaded this one and put it together by myself, with the exception of Ms. Keeton holding one of the legs upright for me. If you don't have a shop crane, you better have some help!! Heavy stuff!

John:

I talked to Old Dominion, the shipper and the 18 wheeler will have a lift gate. Ff the guy won't put it in the garage, worst case it that it will be at the end of the driveway. I will move it in pieces to the basement for assembly, just like I did with my present Delta. They could have been delivered today, but no one was going to be home. My wife will help with the heavy stuff. Thank goodness my father in law had 3 daughters. He trained them well! I'll be posting pictures tomorrow night!

James Combs
03-24-2011, 10:56 PM
You no of course that if you get rid of the Delta you will have to renounce your membership in the "Delta Force". I believe I read someplace that their bylaws require that members be owners only.:D

But seriously, congrats on the new white monster. You will like it.

Will your vacuum chuck retrofit to it all right or will modifications be necessary?

Cathy Schaewe
03-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Well I would say Congrats John and I am happy for ya and all that.

BUT I have a emergency call into Mike Smith for all the Claro Walnut he has and any other wood I can get my hands on before you get that lathe set up.:eek::rolleyes:;)

Oh boy, I hadn't thought of that ... I'd better get my order in quick!!!!

Doug W Swanson
03-25-2011, 12:02 AM
I give it just a few years before something yellow arrives at the Keeton residence....

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2011, 12:04 AM
I give it just a few years before something yellow arrives at the Keeton residence....

I have Mustard. John will go for a more Serious or Robust Solution....Oneway or the other....I am sure!:D

Tim Thiebaut
03-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Oh god is this what I have to look forward to in my future, a new lathe once a year...!! That sure is nice John but I have to say, I would wait 2 weeks before you decide to sell your delta..just to make sure thats what you want to do because you know at some point you are going to be in a situation and say to yourself man I wish I still had my delta to mount this on.......
Congrats though John, I am sure this thing will give you many happy hours spinnying away.

Lupe Duncan
03-25-2011, 6:20 AM
Congrats John.

I just got my Delta 46-460 but I STILL wouldn't trade it for the world. I'd be looking at shop "additions". ;)

Jerry Rhoads
03-25-2011, 6:58 AM
Congratulations John, a lathe well bought. Might look into getting a movable switch. Have fun.

Jerry

philip labre
03-25-2011, 7:20 AM
Congrats on the new lathe, John!!! Now go get it dirty.

John Keeton
03-25-2011, 7:26 AM
Congratulations John, a lathe well bought. Might look into getting a movable switch. Have fun.

JerryThanks, Jerry. Steve Schlumpf has provided some info on a movable switch, as well as a couple of other neat "add-ons." (I told you he was the main instigator!!!!;):D)

Bob Haverstock
03-25-2011, 7:26 AM
Hi John,

I'm enjoying this thread. You are on the third step of the lathe progession and you are doing well. Do not omit any of the steps, if you do, you will have cheated the vortex, it's not nice to cheat the vortex. It you do, there is a pennalty,,, not good.

At some point in the future, John will likey make a larger hollow form with a flat top. Back in the good 'ol days we'd called it a table.

Btw, have you considered placing a chain fall over the new lathe for lift those big burls?

Bob Haverstock

Michelle Rich
03-25-2011, 7:40 AM
Phew, I'm glad i was not named as a co-conspirator!!!! Did Mrs. Keeton get a nice new car, in exchange for this??? :-) It's a good lathe, John.(I have one & it's super) I hope you enjoy it & share the bounty with us all

Jeff Nicol
03-25-2011, 7:51 AM
John, The moment you sell the Delta you will wish you had it back! Mine is in a separate room right now but I use it for those special little projects that pop up when I am working on a larger piece on my 3520B. As I am winding down on the tool making for a while I will get back into turning and more wood working that have been neglected here are a couple of pictures of the the shop since I have been trying to finish up things. It is a total disaster and I try to clean things up a little every day, but with so many half done projects and many deer horns to mount I really need a break!

Nice lathe and if I had room for one I would like to have one just because, but I just got an old treadmill that provided me with all the power and control to create a little lathe of my choosing so that may be my #6 lathe if you count the 2 metal lathes. In the one picture is my new to me old Atlas lathe that needs a lot of love!

Have fun with the new lathe and coming "Extras", and give your shop a "Busy" look like mine!

Jeff

John Keeton
03-25-2011, 8:00 AM
WOW!!!! Jeff, you get the "messy shop" award!!!!! It is remarkable the amount of work you produce from your shop, but with my personality traits, I would be in therapy!!:eek:

In the third pic, looks like a red emergency light sitting there - does that thing start flashing when you have wood accumulation overload!!:D:D

I look forward to your shipment of new toys for this lathe!! Sure enjoyed the toolrests that are on the Delta, as well as the steady rest.

Brian Effinger
03-25-2011, 8:21 AM
Hey, Jeff, is that Keeton's new steady rest hanging in the first pic? I'm guessing it's the one on the left, next to that cute baby rest. :D

Cathy Schaewe
03-25-2011, 8:28 AM
I'm still laughing ...

steven carter
03-25-2011, 9:32 AM
John,

I guess you were the only one who did not realize that it was just a matter of time. Why is that those that are afflicted are always the last to know? I really like my 1642, I put a 60 lb chunk of walnut on it last night and did not have any problems, and I don't even have a ballast box, just slowed it down until round. I am sure you will enjoy this machine.

John W Dixon
03-25-2011, 9:46 AM
Congratulations and I believe you can't go wrong with the 1642. Looking forward to the work that comes off of it. And what the heck now you have a chance to do a little flatwork, ballast box and cabinet for underneath. :-)

Dick Strauss
03-25-2011, 9:49 AM
John,
You are in so deep you need to hire an octopus with 8 shovels to help you dig out of this one! Congrats on the new lathe...I've heard great things about the Jets.

Happy turning and digging,
Dick

Bill Bolen
03-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Congrat's on the new lathe John. Gotta say though the new machine is not a surprise to me or anyone else here. We've all seen it coming! I totally agree with Jeff, as soon as the Delta is gone you will miss it. Think of it has a chuck holder for one of the bunch you have. Keep the HF mounted to the lathe and just turn the collar on the Delta and over to the HF in progress. One can justify 2 lathes just as easily as one can justify 2 (or more) chucks...Bill..

(the delta realllllly does not take up much room)

Dick Wilson
03-25-2011, 10:59 AM
WOW!!!! Jeff, you get the "messy shop" award!!!!! It is remarkable the amount of work you produce from your shop, but with my personality traits, I would be in therapy!!:eek:

In the third pic, looks like a red emergency light sitting there - does that thing start flashing when you have wood accumulation overload!!:D:D

I look forward to your shipment of new toys for this lathe!! Sure enjoyed the toolrests that are on the Delta, as well as the steady rest.

John, It is very hard to believe but I have been one-uped by Jeff. I am suffering a monumental defeat.:confused::confused::confused: The Messiest Shop Award has been ripped from my dusty fingers.:mad::mad::mad: I am humbled beyond all description!!!!!! It will take me a long time to re-coup from this defeat. Now I guess it is time for me to get down on one knee and bow to Jeff. This is most humiliating :(:(

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2011, 12:24 PM
John,

I guess you were the only one who did not realize that it was just a matter of time. Why is that those that are afflicted are always the last to know?

Steven that is because he has been/is in denial.:rolleyes:;):D

Tim Thiebaut
03-25-2011, 2:37 PM
John, The moment you sell the Delta you will wish you had it back! Mine is in a separate room right now but I use it for those special little projects that pop up when I am working on a larger piece on my 3520B. As I am winding down on the tool making for a while I will get back into turning and more wood working that have been neglected here are a couple of pictures of the the shop since I have been trying to finish up things. It is a total disaster and I try to clean things up a little every day, but with so many half done projects and many deer horns to mount I really need a break!

Nice lathe and if I had room for one I would like to have one just because, but I just got an old treadmill that provided me with all the power and control to create a little lathe of my choosing so that may be my #6 lathe if you count the 2 metal lathes. In the one picture is my new to me old Atlas lathe that needs a lot of love!

Have fun with the new lathe and coming "Extras", and give your shop a "Busy" look like mine!

Jeff

I think I am in love with your shop!

Dan Forman
03-25-2011, 2:59 PM

Jeff

Now that's a shop I could right at home in. :)

Dan

John Keeton
03-25-2011, 3:49 PM
John, It is very hard to believe but I have been one-uped by Jeff. I am suffering a monumental defeat.:confused::confused::confused: The Messiest Shop Award has been ripped from my dusty fingers.:mad::mad::mad:(:(Dick, no doubt about it, Jeff stomped you!!!:cool:

There are treasures in Jeff's shop that won't be found until decades after he is gone!!:eek: I have heard talk of an "archeological dig", but they cannot locate enough folks to inventory the findings!!:D:D

Josh Bowman
03-25-2011, 5:51 PM
Congrads John!!! Welcome to the "Jet Set". I bought an engine lift that folds to help me put mine together. Since it folds and is easy therefore to put in the bed of my truck. I was able to also take it to a friends house to unload and put his PM together. They are real back savers. You're going to love it.

Jon Lanier
03-25-2011, 6:45 PM
Congratulations. Out of my extensive study and research, I came to the same conclusion for a lathe. So, when you are ready to upgrade, I'll be about ready to buy that one off of you for a good used price. ;)

Getting turning on that thing... quit posting on here.

Joe Bradshaw
03-25-2011, 7:11 PM
188215188214John, you have fallen and can not get up. If I can get my pictures to work, I will show you how I handle big blanks on my 2436.188213

Prashun Patel
03-25-2011, 7:56 PM
John, I've really enjoyed watching yr evolution in revolution. Really inspiring. Good luck with your new toy. Surprised you didn't go with the Mustard Monster. I'm sure you considered it. What tipped the scales in favor of the Jet vs any other lathes you eval'd?

BTW, do you have any accessories for the Delta that you plan to sell?

John Keeton
03-25-2011, 8:15 PM
Joe, that is an awesome setup with the winch!! I know a lady nearby that turns on a Stubby - producing some 24-30" bowls!! Her husband has some type of setup that he hoists 600lb bowl blanks on the lathe for her.

Congrads John!!! Welcome to the "Jet Set". I bought an engine lift that folds to help me put mine together. Since it folds and is easy therefore to put in the bed of my truck. I was able to also take it to a friends house to unload and put his PM together. They are real back savers. You're going to love it.Josh, I have an engine hoist (shop crane) as well, and that is what I used on this lathe. They sure do come in handy!

John, I've really enjoyed watching yr evolution in revolution. Really inspiring. Good luck with your new toy. Surprised you didn't go with the Mustard Monster. I'm sure you considered it. What tipped the scales in favor of the Jet vs any other lathes you eval'd?

BTW, do you have any accessories for the Delta that you plan to sell?Prashun, I think the deciding factor (besides the $$) was the sliding headstock. Seems to have a lot of advantages. I would have to be perfectly honest and say that the Delta really did serve my purposes quite well, though I am hoping to expand the type of turnings I do and the Jet will provide the ability to do that. I did have some accessories, but they have all been sold except for a Jeff Nicol steady rest. Another creeker has first refusal on it, but if he doesn't take it, then it will be listed in the Classified forum.

Greg Just
03-26-2011, 12:02 AM
I got my Jet today. I was able to unpack it and get it to the basement. Assembly will have to wait until tomorrow.

Joe Adams
03-26-2011, 12:32 AM
John,

Congratulations!

I started turning about the same time you did and I've already upgraded from a Jet 1014 to a Jet 1236 to a Jet 1442.

I have since added a Jet 1220 for smaller stuff and can see a Jet 1642 in my future (unless I go Mustard).

I'm married to my work and tools are my mistress.

Keith E Byrd
03-26-2011, 7:21 AM
Jeff May be the eyes are bad but is there a lathe in there somewhere?

John Keeton
03-26-2011, 7:25 AM
[

I got my Jet today. I was able to unpack it and get it to the basement. Assembly will have to wait until tomorrow.

188268Greg, a big congrats on the delivery!! Today will be a fun one for you. Hope you have a good way of getting rid of the packing - there is a small truckload when you get through!

Joseph D'Orazio
03-26-2011, 8:02 AM
All I ever really wanted to do was turn table legs!!!:confused: And, now this!!:o

Thats kinda scary because all I want to do is turn table legs.

Congratulations on your purchase. Maybe I should just buy my table legs off of you and save myself the hassle?

Alan Trout
03-26-2011, 10:11 AM
John,

Congratulations on you new lathe. Its a beauty. I will give it a couple of more years and you will be buying that new Robust or Oneway because you will need that extra nine inches of swing. Personally I would keep the little Delta. Sell the bed extension. It is nice to have a small lathe at times.

Alan

Jack Mincey
03-26-2011, 10:12 AM
John, I look forward to see what kind of wonderful bowls you will create on your new toy. It should prove to be interesting for all of us here at the Creek to see. You do now that now you will be needing more tool rest, and a larger steady rest, even larger hollowing rigs for the larger bowls you will end up having to try. The vortex just keeps one diving in deeper and deeper.
Happy Turning,
Jack

John Keeton
03-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the encouraging congrats!! Jack, I already have on order a larger steady and two new tool rests - should be in this week from Jeff Nicol. Randy already has shipped a larger base for the Monster rig (I can see a captured system in the future!) You are right!! Deeper and deeper!!

Roland Martin
03-27-2011, 7:49 AM
Congratulations John! I go away for a few days, and look what happens:eek: With all those grandkids, I would have thought you'd keep the Delta for training:). I really love mine, absolutely no regrets, and would assume you won't either.

Rick Markham
03-27-2011, 9:44 AM
Congratulations John! You deserve it! (I knew you were in trouble a couple of months ago when you kept saying over and over in a thread "I don't need a bigger lathe") hehe

Chris Stolicky
03-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the encouraging congrats!! Jack, I already have on order a larger steady and two new tool rests - should be in this week from Jeff Nicol. Randy already has shipped a larger base for the Monster rig (I can see a captured system in the future!) You are right!! Deeper and deeper!!

I knew something was up last year when I commented on the Monster rig with the white base. Who knew it just wasn't going to be big enough for the inevitable! : )

Congrats, you will like the 1642.

I have to reiterate that keeping the Delta is really the way to go. I have the same set up - Jet 1642 and Delta Midi. Just put the Delta on a smaller base so it takes up less room - sell the extension.

Tim McClelland
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
As I read John's post I was hoping that there would be a picture at the end, the old addage I have learned here on the forum - without pictures it never happened - . There was a picture and I eagerly clicked on it to open the jpg. At first I was dissapointed because all I saw was a box. But as I stared at the box my excitement level increased, sort of like a kid on Christmas day while looking at the presents before opening them.
John, congrats, and a good chunk of envy. Enjoy - maybe someday I will be so lucky.