PDA

View Full Version : No more gym guilt

William Hamilton
03-24-2011, 3:01 PM
With my ever-growing addiction to woodworking, one of the first things to suffer has been my time at the gym. Today I awoke and felt some real tightness in my shoulders and my core. I was thinking, "why the hell do I hurt so badly today?" Then I remembered all that belt sanding I had to do last night. No more gym guilt. Now I just have to figure out how to get some great cardio while in the shop.

Derek Gilmer
03-24-2011, 3:05 PM
You should join the neander side. After a few hours of sawing and planing... I found new muscles for sure.

Jerome Hanby
03-24-2011, 4:16 PM
Get rid of all your pencils and tape measures except for one of each and never wear clothes in the shop that have pockets. You will get lots of aerobic exercise (and some primal scream therapy to boot).

William Hamilton
03-24-2011, 6:30 PM
that's a good point.. with the amount of belt sanding I did, I probably would not be able to move today had I been hand planing. I'll go neander on an upcoming project. Sounds fun (as well as torturous)

John Sanford
03-25-2011, 3:39 AM
No more gym guilt. Now I just have to figure out how to get some great cardio while in the shop. Treadle lathe, spring pole lathe, pedal powered tablesaw (Saint Roy has one), hand powered grinder. Lots of options for cardio in the shop. :p

Ben Davis
03-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Treadle lathe, spring pole lathe, pedal powered tablesaw (Saint Roy has one), hand powered grinder. Lots of options for cardio in the shop. :p

Do you know where to get a hand-powered grinder? I would love to have one!

John Sanford
03-25-2011, 7:59 PM
Do you know where to get a hand-powered grinder? I would love to have one!

Not a clue. Folks will tell you that you can find things like that at antique stores, garage sales and flea markets and farm auctions. It may be true, but my guess is everybody unloads things like that during their moving sale before they move here!

Rich Engelhardt
03-26-2011, 5:40 AM
Now I just have to figure out how to get some great cardio while in the shop.
Ha! Nolo problemo...

Just tell your wife you spent the mortage payment on something called Festool...then run like crazy :D