PDA

View Full Version : 2 hp DC and 6" PVC?

Cliff Newton
01-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Okay, I posted earlier about running a 20' flex hose off my dust collector for the past year. Now, I'm thinking about running the ductwork. I've read that 6" pipe is the way to go, but I don't have a cyclone. I have a 2hp Grizzly 1029. Would 6" pipe be too much or is it still better than 4"?

Brad Olson
01-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Okay, I posted earlier about running a 20' flex hose off my dust collector for the past year. Now, I'm thinking about running the ductwork. I've read that 6" pipe is the way to go, but I don't have a cyclone. I have a 2hp Grizzly 1029. Would 6" pipe be too much or is it still better than 4"?

It will work just great if...

You have dual low micron bags OR a canister filter

I have a HF 2 HP with a canister and it pulls a lot of air on 6" ducts. I measured it at just under 800 cfm with a seasoned filter at the end of a 10' straight 6" pipe.

You may have to build a new blower cover that allows 6" direct to the blower, click my WW link for how I did this the HF and the directions would be fairly applicaable to the Griz.

As always make sure you use Wyes and 2 45's instead of 90's and get rid of as much flex as possible.

Cliff Newton
01-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Thanks Brad. I saw how you retrofitted the canister filter to your DC. I checked out the Wyne Envito website. I'm gonna give that a try. Two questions...how do you clean out the canister filter when it gets really dirty and how often do you have to clean it?

It will work just great if...

You have dual low micron bags OR a canister filter

I have a HF 2 HP with a canister and it pulls a lot of air on 6" ducts. I measured it at just under 800 cfm with a seasoned filter at the end of a 10' straight 6" pipe.

You may have to build a new blower cover that allows 6" direct to the blower, click my WW link for how I did this the HF and the directions would be fairly applicaable to the Griz.

As always make sure you use Wyes and 2 45's instead of 90's and get rid of as much flex as possible.

Brad Olson
01-27-2005, 1:05 AM
The Wynn filter is pretty easy to clean. Every time I switch it on or off I tap the sides of thei filter with a scrap board and you can hear the junk falling out of it. I haven't taken the fitler off in the 8 months of moderate service and haven't had a major clog yet. After cutting a bunch of MDF the flow slowed pretty bad, but I stopped the DC, tapped the filter with the board and was set to go again. I did my air flow tests two weeks after the MDF back-up and so you can see that it didn't affect long term performance. After a long day of work I'll spend and extra few minutes whacking the fitler until I stop hearing stuff fall out of it.

Rick at Wynn env. recommends blowing the filter out with compressed air on occasion without removiing the filter such that the junk falls to the bottom.

One key to keeping the filter clean is a neutral vane to keep the chips in the lower bag and set up a cyclonic action. I detailed installation and tuning on my website

Hope that helps

Brad

Bob Johnson2
01-27-2005, 8:43 AM
Can someone describe the "neutral vane"? How does one know if you've got one?

Jeff Sudmeier
01-27-2005, 9:22 AM
Bob,

The way that I have read to know if you have one, is to take off the top bag of your DC. Now throw chips as well as sawdust and super fine dust into the duct. Only the finest of the dust that you sucked up should be thrown up and out of the bottom bag.

Brad Olson
01-27-2005, 9:54 AM
Can someone describe the "neutral vane"? How does one know if you've got one?

It is basically a piece of metal that sticks about half way into the bag ring air inlet. It keeps incoming air from going around th circle and crashing into more incoming air. It basically forces the air downward and thus setting up cyclonic action.

Basically it smooths out the cyclonic action in the bag when you are trying to push the performance limits of a bag based DC converted to a canister.

Bill pentz describes it here (http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/CycloneMods.cfm), and you can see pictures of mine on my WW link.

Here is the picture from Bill Pentz's site from the cycloe mods section

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/NeutralVane.gif