PDA

View Full Version : Washoe Native American Basket

Jim Adkins
03-24-2011, 2:25 PM
This is a Washoe basket copied from an original woven by Louisa Keyser who lived in the Lake Tahoe region of CA/NV. Size is approx. 10" D. X 8" H., turned endgrain from Maple. The original was called the Degikup and was finished around 1918. For those of you near Tulsa, OK the original is in the Philbrook Museum. The usual DNA soak, finished turned to final thickness, 1/8" beads inside & out, pyrography & dyes (dark bark & burnt siena) with a four-step finish inside & out. Comments/critiques always welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2011, 2:30 PM
Another amazing creation Jim! Every time I see your work I just can't help but smile! Love it! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

Jon McElwain
03-24-2011, 2:36 PM
Whoa, beads/pyro/dyes on the outside is plenty impressive, but doing the same on the inside is even more so! I found a picture of the original at California Baskets - you've done a great job of recreating the original in a very different media!

Tony De Masi
03-24-2011, 2:53 PM
My first thought was stunning, as usual. I know you asked for critiques as well as comments but I wouldn't have any clue how to critique this, so I won't. Sometimes when I see items such as this I wonder if I could accomplish it as well. Then I wake up and go back to bowl turing.

Robert McGowen
03-24-2011, 2:56 PM
I am unable to critique anything so far above my own skill level. Very nice work!

bob svoboda
03-24-2011, 3:12 PM
Very Special!

Dan Forman
03-24-2011, 3:20 PM
Beautiful work I can't imagine how much time that took.

Dan

Roger Chandler
03-24-2011, 3:52 PM
Exceptional, exquisite, a work of art, a rarity, ..........superlatives run out! Wonderful Jim!

John Keeton
03-24-2011, 4:10 PM
Jim, having seen, in person, one of your closed form baskets that is similar, let me just say that these pics don't even come close to depicting the detail work on this type of work. The inside work is every bit as clean as is the outside. And, it "feels" like a basket when it is held. Just wonderful work!

And, Jim, we are still waiting on Aaron to put the finishing touches on the tutorial!! Then folks can see what really goes into one of these pieces.

David Dockstader
03-24-2011, 4:23 PM
As a person who collects American Indian baskets, I have always been impressed by your work. But this is just incredible. Can you give me a rough idea of how many hours it takes you to do the turning, pyrography, and dying on a bowl like this? I just want to have some ammunition when my wife suggests that we add to our collection by having me try something like this! ;)

David DeCristoforo
03-24-2011, 4:34 PM
Every time you post one of these I find myself having a hard time believing they are not "real" baskets. Truly amazing work!

Richard Madden
03-24-2011, 5:38 PM
Another beauty, Jim. You gave me the drawings and photos for this one, like just in case I want to attempt it myself!! Yea, right. Maybe in my dreams. Thanks for showing this. BTW, I thought you were going to present us with a tutorial. What's up???

Jim Adkins
03-24-2011, 6:23 PM
John.....You actually did hold & fondle this one.....It is one that I had when doing the Demo for BAW last Sept.

As you probably know by now, the Tutorial is up on the home page for the Creekers to view.

Jim Adkins
03-24-2011, 6:38 PM
Thanks to all you good hearted Creekers for the nice words. I appreciate your postings. I very much enjoy doing these Native American forms....even to the point that I very seldom turn anything different!! Not very good!!
Thanks to all

Jim Burr
03-24-2011, 6:43 PM
I'll bet it feels like a basket too! I'd wager that if the original and yours were set side by side, they would be indistinguishable from each other. I caught the tutorial on-line today. Although written far above my abilities to understand the line/segment creation process, I really want to try a dumbed down version on a small scale. I have the 3/16" & 1/8" D-way beaders and have found them to be everything you attest to. I'm still learning not to change the elevation of the bead top, more practice. Wonderful piece of museum art!

Jim Adkins
03-24-2011, 6:43 PM
David....I would have no way of even guessing the "time" it takes to do one of these!! Maybe it best that I don't know!! I usually have 3-4 pieces "in work" at any given time and therefore would be difficult to even guess on any particular one. Our wives are usually right so.....why don't you start one for her. Go have a look at the Tutorial just posted today and find a 8/4 x 10-12" piece of hard maple and follow the Tutorial. PM me if you need.
Thanks
Jim

Steve Vaughan
03-24-2011, 7:06 PM
That's a beautiful job on that. What a project! I read about a tutorial on this kind of work, but I'm not finding it, can someone post the link or did I miss that from an earlier post?

Baxter Smith
03-24-2011, 7:48 PM
Beautiful work. Takes the bowl/hollowform concept to a completely different level. Thanks for posting!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2011, 8:16 PM
Jim,

Truly a beauty. You obviously have the talent and the artistic eye that many of us are pursuing. Well done Sir!

David E Keller
03-24-2011, 8:26 PM
I've begun to look forward to your posts since you joined here, and this piece is another stunner. Thanks for sharing this one and the tutorial.

Fred Belknap
03-24-2011, 9:12 PM
Incredible :)

Jeff Myroup
03-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Fantastic Jim! I can only second everything else that has been said.

Michael James
03-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Jim that's an awesome piece or art there. I grew up around pottery, beading, weaving, jewelry and totally love the NA arts. Your replications are very credible to actual pieces without having to look at them side by side.. it is just "correct". I don't have the patience, time, talent or experience at this point but I sur aprreciat the works of those of you that do! Thanks for posting!
mj

Michelle Rich
03-25-2011, 7:51 AM
SUPERB ( Your basket reminds me of David Nittman's work.) WOW Astounding skill.. we lesser mortals cannot do anything but stare at it & drool. Thanks so much for sharing this with us all.

Jim Adkins
03-25-2011, 7:59 AM
Thanks again to all who have kindly commented on this latest piece. I appreciate
all the words spoken. To all a great weekend, be safe and make shavings. And to
Mr. Keeton......Get that Jet dirty!!
Jim

Jeff Nicol
03-25-2011, 8:03 AM
Jim, This is just incredible! I can't fathom finding the patience nor the artistic skills in me to do such a wonderful and the near perfection in this piece! You are truly a genious when it comes to the basket pattern turnings!

Keep amazing us,

Jeff

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-25-2011, 9:26 AM
Jim, I'm sure that the original has many more flaws compared to your wonderful craftsmanship. As a 40-year resident of Lake Tahoe, I'm quite familiar with the Washoe tribe and their baskets. I have a friend that collects Washoe art and I've often thought of mimicking some of their designs in segmented form - so many little pieces.

steven carter
03-25-2011, 9:38 AM
Jim,

Your work is amazing! I can't imagine the patience this must take to accomplish. I think that if I tried to do this I would end up in the place where I would be making real baskets!

John W Dixon
03-25-2011, 9:38 AM
Phenomenal piece of art. I love it.

Dick Strauss
03-25-2011, 9:46 AM
Jim,
You've hit the bullseye again (just like the one you have on dispay at choice-woods.com). Good luck with the voting today!!!

Take care,
Dick

Jim Adkins
03-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Malcolm, good to hear from you. I've often thought about trying the baskets using segmentation but have wondered about the glue lines showing. But, this is the most practial way of doing larger pieces I guess, maybe someday!! I bet you people in Tahoe area have had your share of snow this winter.......good for skiing/snowboarding or just turning!! I think you should try to duplicate a Washoe piece using segmentation. Please let us know about it.
Thanks, be well.
Jim

Jim Adkins
03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks again to all for your kind words for the ole guy. Dick S. I hope you chose to vote in the Choice Woods March Madness thing, it's getting tough!! Thanks
Jim

Bob Aumock
03-25-2011, 11:57 AM
You're a "Master" Jim. Can you tell me how to pull up the tutorial.

Thx,
Bob

Jerry Lawrence
03-25-2011, 8:00 PM
Jim, I made one exactly like this one just last week...but now after everyone sees yours, no one will believe me, so I just threw it in the woodstove! :)
Seriously though...Wow...just wow!