PDA

View Full Version : New Old Iron

Hayes Rutherford
03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Just what I needed was another time sucker. The price was right and so was delivery(free) But as all of you out there know, the lathe should be free!!! I mentioned to the guys a the local coffee shop that I wanted a metal lathe to be used in fabricating tools and tool handles for my woodturning habit and this came up. The farmer had retired and left this behind but still had access to it. All the loose tooling and change gears were gone but it actually works.
It is a Barnes #6 screw cutting lathe that was originally treadle powered. This model is from 1890's. It would be very cool fully restored but thats just not gonna happen. All i really need are some tool holders and bits, a couple of centers, maybe a new leather drive belt and............

I have added an old catalog photo showing what the lathe originally looked like. Barnes also made foot powered wood lathes, jigsaws, and more.

bob svoboda
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Looks like a great hunk of metal! Good luck with getting it going. Can't beat that deal.

Russell Eaton
03-24-2011, 12:26 PM
...then finish the restoration:) that is just too cool.

Steve Schlumpf
03-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Wow! Talk about character! Looks like a fun restoration project!

Tim Thiebaut
03-24-2011, 2:08 PM
I love old tools and machinery like this, that is a cool one thats for sure, have fun with it.

Jon McElwain
03-24-2011, 2:39 PM
That is really cool. It is fun to see what 100+ year old tools were made like, then see how little some of the new tools have actually changed! I had an 1880's Lodge and Davis monitor lathe for a while - converted to electric of course. It was great fun to see that old iron still running true.

Dan Forman
03-24-2011, 3:27 PM
Very cool, got to get that treadle back in operation!

Dan

Eugene Wigley
03-24-2011, 4:28 PM
Noow that is COOL!! I am sure you will have fun with it.

Baxter Smith
03-24-2011, 8:01 PM
Very neat! The first time I ever saw something being turned was on a treadle lathe. It made a lasting impression!

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2011, 8:07 PM
That is one cool piece of iron. My granddad had a old treadle machine he worked with.