PDA

View Full Version : Saw horse design

Derek Gilmer
03-24-2011, 11:01 AM
So I know saw horses are pretty common but I've been piddling around with a design and thought I'd share it. Both to see if it might benefit anyone else on smc and to get suggestions for further improvement.

The dimensions can be tweaked to fit your needs. But for me the two main sizes for me are the top and the middle stretcher. The top is set to work as in feed support for my jointer and the middle stretcher is the same height as my saw bench to support longer pieces while cutting.The bottom stretcher is also high enough to let two or more of them nestle together for storage.

Gregory King
03-24-2011, 1:37 PM
Derek, I like that design. The only changes that I might improve upon would be to make the height adjustable and add a chunck of steel in the bottom for weight. I think for use as an outfeed table on a table saw, it might have a tendency to slide away from the weight of something heavy. Not sure, maybe your foot pads are rubber, which would certainly help.

Russell Sansom
03-24-2011, 8:53 PM
This saw horse will probably wobble quite a bit. If you see a sawhorse as a table with a really tiny top, here are a couple old examples from my earliest days.

The one on the right is adjustable in height and the top tilts. An adjustable trestle table / krenov sawhorse is a little harder to design than it it seems at first. This one takes a couple minutes to reconfigure.
If you bump your open palm against it, it will "ring" almost three-eights of an inch side to side and take several seconds to damp out. It's a little scary with a heavy weight on it.

The one on the left is a natural progression that I used for the unusual job of holding the wheel and gearshift of a driving simulator mounted on one end. Now in retirement, it performs normal duties all around the house. It is incredibly solid along its long axis.

rick carpenter
03-27-2011, 9:21 PM
I've seen that design talked about in a Taunton's book a long time ago, and have really thought about making some from time to time. But I couldn't ever see why they'd be better than traditional wooden ones, they're not as sturdy and not as easy to make.

Tony Bilello
03-27-2011, 9:56 PM
....... But I couldn't ever see why they'd be better than traditional wooden ones, they're not as sturdy and not as easy to make.

+ 1

I could think of lots of reason why the old traditional "A" frame style would be better.

scott vroom
03-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I use Trojan brand sawhorses.

John Sanford
03-28-2011, 1:15 AM
Sawponies (http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/404/stackingsawhorses.pdf) are "da bomb". You may have to register to see the PDF, but these are nice and schweet.

Russell Sansom
03-28-2011, 2:42 AM
I don't know. I've looked saw horses up and down for years and each one has it's qualities. It really depends on the requirement. My "fine art" folding saw horses will work perfectly as an impromptu base for a dinner table. Outside, I have a pair of hurculean horses holding a thousands pounds of wood off the ground.

The Krenov sawhorses use nearly the minimum amount of lumber and can be put together with only square cuts. A-frames made of 2 X 6's are embracing a different ideal.