PDA

View Full Version : Blum Tandem Slide question

Mark Neidinger
03-24-2011, 10:59 AM
I am making some drawers using 22" Blum Tandem slides. I downloaded the directions and can easily figure out the width and the 1/2" required on the bottom to accomodate the slides. I can't figure out from the diagram the length of the drawer for an inset drawer.

Is this an easy answer that I am just missing? Thanks.

Erik Christensen
03-24-2011, 2:20 PM
It does not matter if the drawer is inset or overlay as to drawer box size - if it is inset all that means is you move the slides back into the case a distance = drawer front thickness.

Mark Neidinger
03-24-2011, 3:03 PM
That's what I thought. But, what is the length of the drawer?

Trevor Remster
03-24-2011, 9:54 PM
22" slide = 22" deep drawer box

Rob Sack
03-25-2011, 10:46 AM
I am making some drawers using 22" Blum Tandem slides. I downloaded the directions and can easily figure out the width and the 1/2" required on the bottom to accomodate the slides. I can't figure out from the diagram the length of the drawer for an inset drawer.

Is this an easy answer that I am just missing? Thanks.

First of all check your specs. Unless it's new, Blum doesn't make a 22" Tandem slide. The closest is a 21" slide. Don't worry about the physical length of the slide. If it's listed as 21" slide, make the drawer 21" long. If your application is inset, inset the cabinet slide member enough to accomodate the thickness of your drawer face.

Mark Neidinger
03-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I was not home when I posted the initial question. You are correct that they are 21" slides. I have more room in the back of my cabinet. Could I make the bottom two inches or so of the drawer 21" and then extend the drawer with a second bottom the other 5" or 6"? I know that I wouldn't have the benefits of full extension, but I can live with that. Certainly construction would be a little more difficult, but I can live with that as well.

Mark

John Morrison60
03-25-2011, 4:15 PM
Mark
Yes you can do that. I have made many 17" drawers and used 15" slides. I simply glued in a 1/2 inch cross member onto
the bottom of the drawer, for the slide locking device mounting. It is not full extension, but I used some glides that
I had, rather than buying new.
I also carefully inset the back holding tang so that the back of the drawer was securely held, when in use.

John